• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    I met a guy bow-hunting Idlewild years ago that told me he got chewed up pretty good so he carried a sidearm. Dogs around my way can get pretty mean when they're packed up that's why I keep a non-compatible breed for the house. Learned my lesson the hard way in the mountains hunting one time. Farm dogs are a good idea for the landowner but when they roam and pack up it could get bad when your naked even when your where where your supposed to be. The important part is to be prepared with some spray or a walking stick or something. Every year or so around my parts you hear about some bad-ass that kills a dog on a hunting lease and it never turns out well for anyone. When I lived in CC I heard about dogs and the only problem ones I encountered belonged to people nearby and you might have to poke them in the face with your bow or something.

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I lived & worked summers in a small rural town in Southern Illinois in a previous life. They had a wild dog problem there.
    Packs of roaming dogs created a real psychological issue. It was as if you were always looking over your shoulder.
    At least that's how the people there described it.

They told me numerous anecdotes of people who had been cornered, bitten and of one young girl being dragged from a school bus stop.

They said dogs would appear out of nowhere, that you would hear a noise and see nothing, then turn around again and see a few of them staring at you from behind some bushes. It was as if you were being stalked all the time. There were a lot of farms & farm-ettes and people wouldn't go outside to feed farm animals, do work outside without carrying a sidearm. Go outside on your farm at night for any reason alone? NEVER.

Maybe the number of dogs was exaggerated, I don't really know as I didn't see any of this first hand.
    But packs of dogs roaming around where you live, even if it's perhaps a small number, can really mess with your head and lessen your quality of life.
    That I did see first hand.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom