• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    I recently had an impulse buy. Rem 700 Varmint 308 at Dick's. It came with a scope. It is what it is...a free scope.
    I have messed with it some and it's OK at 200 yards, but not worthy of the rifle.
    I shoot 100 to 300 yards, more if I get the chance. Targets from bench, little to no hunting.
    I am considering SFA SS 16x42 or 20x42.

Anyone have any experience with these, or SWFA? Other suggestions?

Thanks.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    problem with a fixed power scope in the magnification above is that if you decide to hunt deer or the like with it (308 a great deer caliber), at close range (say 50 yds) might be hard to find and follow your target. but fixed power has less stuff to go wrong and usually cheaper than variables.

not familiar with the brands you listed, but also check out nikon and leupold, i have several of each and have been pretty happy with them.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    On the cheap I have been very happy with Cabelas Piney ridge scopes. They hold up very well (so far) and have nice clear optics. I would generally categorize these as good field scopes good enough and you wont cry if it gets broken.

That said if I was doing 500 yrd shooting (other than my boulder plucking with a Mauser open sight) I would get something higher end.

Its a shame optics often outstrip the cost of the gun!

sailskidrive

Legalize the Constitution
    Oct 16, 2011
    Route 27
    I have a Super Sniper fixed 10x on my Rem 700 .308 PPS and really like it. 2A has a used one with the side focus for $350.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nestor875

Latest threads

Top Bottom