Most expedited Supreme Court hearing, ever?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    So the Firearms Policy Coalition filed a brief in Whole Womens health, see here:
    https://reason.com/volokh/2021/10/22/the-firearms-policy-coalition-targets-texas-s-b-8/

From Amicus's perspective, if pre-enforcement review can be evaded in the context of abortion it can and will be evaded in the context of the right to keep and bear arms. While the political valences of those issues seem to be opposites, the structural circumstances are too similar to ignore. As with Roe and Casey, many States view Heller as wrongly decided. Those States, with the help of many circuit courts, have showed an ongoing refusal to accept the holding in Heller and a continuing creativity in seeking to circumvent any protections for, and to chill the exercise of, Second Amendment rights. It is hardly speculation to suggest that if Texas succeeds in its gambit here, New York, California, New Jersey, and others will not be far behind in adopting equally aggressive gambits to not merely chill but to freeze the right to keep and bear arms.

And the court granted cert and scheduled arguments for Nov 1st.

https://reason.com/volokh/2021/10/22/supreme-court-grants-certiorari-in-texas-s-b-8-case/

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    And young v Hawaii is pushing 9 years wending through lower courts…

More needs to be done to compare and contrast fights regarding favored and disfavored rights and the speed with which the receive hearings.

The anti gun folks Just wish mr young would disappear, one way or another.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Why would Blanca Telephone file an amicus brief?

Among the issues raised in No. 21-472 is
    whether the administration of the USF program by
    private parties has resulted in a violation of Blanca’s
    property and procedural due process rights. In No. 21-
    588, the United States argues, inter alia, that the State
    of Texas impermissibly employs private parties to
    enforce State law for the purpose of avoiding judicial
    review of a regulatory program impinging upon the
    constitutional right to abortion. Given the similarity
    of the cases regarding governmental use of private
    parties to violate constitutionally protected interests,
    Blanca is submitting the instant amicus brief to ensure
    that the Federal Government fairly and equally uses
    its sovereign authority to protect the constitutional
    rights of all citizens of the United States.

1. Texas cannot shield from judicial review a state
    law which impinges upon the constitutionally protected
    abortion right by empowering private citizens, rather
    than state officials, to enforce a state health law.
    2. But the FCC can shield from judicial review
    USF administration which impinges upon Blanca’s
    constitutionally protected property right because
    “private” corporate entities, NECA and USAC, enforce
    Federal telecom law. Slip Op. App. 40-41; FCC3 App.
    54 ¶ 5, 76 ¶ 30 (USF settlement and day-to-day USF
    administration are unreviewable “private” activities
    which do not implicate governmental functions).

In No. 21-588 the United States seeks
    constitutional uniformity and argues that judicial review
    guards against nullification of constitutional rights by
    private parties. Petition for a Writ of Certiorari Before
    Judgment at 31-32, No. 21-588, filed 10/18/21. Sauce
    for the goose is sauce for the gander.
    Blanca is entitled
    to consistent treatment and the same access to judicial
    review and protection from private enforcement which
    interferes with its constitutional rights. However, the
    Waiver, without any analysis whatsoever, unfairly and
    unequally delivers a constitutional rights hierarchy where
    judicial review is shielded by the FCC’s use of private
    parties and the abortion right is protected and preferred
    over Blanca’s property right, even though the property
    right is textually guaranteed.

http://www.supremecourt.gov/DocketP...7142353768_211027l_Blanca Amicus as FILED.pdf

139306.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

Pretty sure not actually right here. Blanca is arguing that a government entity can’t charter/employ/fund a “private” entity to operate any of its work. In this case administration of the universal services fund. I might have missed it in what Blanca is citing in their Amicus brief, but there is no overlap between a Texas law that allows private parties who are not injured by a party’s actions (no tort) to sue and federal funds administered by a private party.

I am not saying Blanca has no reasonable argument why the FCC might be in the wrong (though I think they are wrong), but there isn’t really even a mild tangential link between the examples.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Pretty sure not actually right here. Blanca is arguing that a government entity can’t charter/employ/fund a “private” entity to operate any of its work. In this case administration of the universal services fund. I might have missed it in what Blanca is citing in their Amicus brief, but there is no overlap between a Texas law that allows private parties who are not injured by a party’s actions (no tort) to sue and federal funds administered by a private party.

I am not saying Blanca has no reasonable argument why the FCC might be in the wrong (though I think they are wrong), but there isn’t really even a mild tangential link between the examples.

Blanca is saying that the US .gov is contradicting itself. On the one hand, Texas can be sued for civil rights violations because it authorized private parties to violate civil rights, but on the other hand they are claiming that the FCC is beyond review because USF is a private party.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I do agree tho its a "hey look at me i deserve attention" type amicus brief. Could work, could backfire. They do have a point, but SC is not big on snark. A better argument might have been as a fallback "the resolution of SB8 related to private party civil rights violations could implicate this case so you should hold it"

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Blanca is saying that the US .gov is contradicting itself. On the one hand, Texas can be sued for civil rights violations because it authorized private parties to violate civil rights, but on the other hand they are claiming that the FCC is beyond review because USF is a private party.

I understand. But I don’t think their argument has as much tie in to the case at hand as they’d like.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    I understand. But I don’t think their argument has as much tie in to the case at hand as they’d like.

I cant fault them for trying. As Alex Baldwin said, you miss 100% of the shots you dont take.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    https://www.scotusblog.com/2021/11/...roviders-pursue-their-challenge-to-texas-law/
    strange bedfellows.

The FPC merits brief was citied by Kavanaugh.

But other members of the court’s conservative wing openly worried about the prospect that S.B. 8’s enforcement scheme could be used to negate other constitutional rights. Kavanaugh cited a “friend of the court” brief by the Firearms Policy Coalition, a gun-rights advocacy group, arguing that the scheme could, as Kavanaugh put it, “easily be replicated in other states” to target gun rights, free speech rights, or religious rights.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    adamc904

Latest threads

Top Bottom