• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Batt816

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 1, 2018
    Eastern Shore
    One thing I’m having trouble deciding, is how high to put this thing. I’ve always preferred 16’, my scaffold bucks are 7’, 2 bucks high is 14’.

It would be so much easier to go with 1 buck @ 7’ high. I could build entire box in my shop and set it on scaffold with my skid steer.

If I go with 14’ I will have to build the walls, and pull each section up with rope and assemble everything on top of scaffold.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Some of these treestands, I'd probably do more sleeping than hunting. There have been times I wished for one though.

Now..... This ones good for sleeping.
    You cant hear the squirrels crunching around to wake you up.

Hills box stand.jpg

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I always carry a single person Eno hammock in my pack. There is no sleep to be had at my camp. Buncha snoring SOBs! If I stay out the whole day its nice to take a midday nap in a sunny spot.

I once had a deer walk right up on me....like 5 feet away. It blew and I flipped out of the damn hammock and landed on my face. All I saw was the tail running over the ridge.

Glad it wasn't a black bear!

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    I've built 6 box stands now, each new one I build I make changes from the previous one. I built one using old windows from my house. I personally did not like trying to shoot from a window sill, plus when trying to open and close the windows they were noisy. So now I just let 12-15" high opening on all 4 sides. Only thing that blocks me from shooting 360 degrees is the 4 corner 2x4s. My stands are between 8-10' high to the platforms. I typically use 10' 4x4s and try and burry them 2' or so. The locations I have my blinds going higher doesn't benefit in any way plus the shorter they are, the easier they are to assemble. 2 of them I build on the spot and 4 I prebuilt at home and than took and reassembled on the spot (4 walls, roof). 4x6 is nice for 2 people, 5x6 is better if you can shoot 360 degrees. 4x6 is a little big for 1 person. I have a spot where I can shoot 270 degrees and with me sitting in the middle of a 4x6 I can't really shoot out both sides at once. I have to stay closer to one side and if a deer comes out on the other side I have to reposition myself. A 4x4 or maybe 4x5 would be ideal for 1 person I think.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Ive read many articles that the hunter wasnt so lucky, he either died or was paralyzed...

I fell 20' from a homemade treestand a couple miles off the road on a mountain top in western Md, as the top 'ladder' rung separated from the tree. I landed on my back, rung still clutched tightly in my hand. I came to rest in a pocket of leaves and snow, cushioning my landing. There was a 6'' stump just beside me, only inches from the small of my back.

Somebody was sure looking out for me that day...

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    I fell 20' from a homemade treestand a couple miles off the road on a mountain top in western Md, as the top 'ladder' rung separated from the tree. I landed on my back, rung still clutched tightly in my hand. I came to rest in a pocket of leaves and snow, cushioning my landing. There was a 6'' stump just beside me, only inches from the small of my back.

Somebody was sure looking out for me that day...

Damn. Glad you missed it. Harness wouldn't have helped on that one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom