• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    [Kev308];6408347 said:
    He lives in Kemp Mill, so only the MoCo County sharp shooters can get a whack at him.

That place is rotten with deer. I was once invited to urban bow hunt back there.

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Opening day, and this thread is dead??? Mdshooters is slippin'.... Lol I'm sitting in the stand at a wildlife management area.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Opening day, and this thread is dead??? Mdshooters is slippin'.... Lol I'm sitting in the stand at a wildlife management area.

Only thing that counts for me is if you are in the stand on the last day. ;)

gwchem

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 18, 2014
    SoMD
    I've been working two jobs, and have a ton of house projects. Probably won't have time to hunt til October. Good luck everyone! Get an extra deer for me!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If I only fed myself, my season would end the first week. :)

Ditto. Fortunately I’ve got a wife and three kids to feed. Plus I have some friends I can donate to who appreciate it. Right now I’ve got my eye on a pair of deer. Ones a nice looking yearling 6-pt (might be a 5, one side barely has a brow tine). I am keeping my eye on him and I am hoping he makes it to next season and sticks around. The other is a doe I’ve got some plans for tomorrow. She is ENORMOUS. Like gigantism. I’ve seen her a couple times the last two weeks and was out on my corn last night. She was first in. 7 total does on the corn before I lost the light to see them any more. But she was easily a hand and a half taller than any other doe out there and it was easy enough to pick out the yearlings and 2-3 year does out of the group. I’d guess she is probably 130-140lbs live weight.

I need to pull my game camera pictures to see if I am missing someone I need to target time wise. But I never seem to have really big bucks come to my corn. Or rarely I should say. All does and little bucks. I do have big guys move through my woods along my creek. I’ll be looking for them later in the season (November).

Got the crossbow sighted in last night. It was close, but not right on. I’ve switched up which mechanical broad heads I am using. Switching from Shockwave to Spitfires. I like the fact the spitfires have a practice head as well as no washers/o-rings and are CLEARLY marked for crossbows (I got some shockwaves that were bow only mixed in last year and had issues with them opening in flight as the packaging isn’t clearly marked. Or at least it didn’t used to be clearly marked. Maybe NAP has changed that).

Going out at lunch to throw up my blind and grab the camera card.

Homeschooling the kids this year. So fingers crossed we have an anatomy and physiology class tomorrow morning starting around 7, 7:30am. A chance I might sit this evening, but probably not. I’ve got so much stuff today I don’t think I am going to be finished work until around 6 at best.

GSuders

Dec 13, 2017
    Keymar
    Ditto. Fortunately I’ve got a wife and three kids to feed. Plus I have some friends I can donate to who appreciate it. Right now I’ve got my eye on a pair of deer. Ones a nice looking yearling 6-pt (might be a 5, one side barely has a brow tine). I am keeping my eye on him and I am hoping he makes it to next season and sticks around. The other is a doe I’ve got some plans for tomorrow. She is ENORMOUS. Like gigantism. I’ve seen her a couple times the last two weeks and was out on my corn last night. She was first in. 7 total does on the corn before I lost the light to see them any more. But she was easily a hand and a half taller than any other doe out there and it was easy enough to pick out the yearlings and 2-3 year does out of the group. I’d guess she is probably 130-140lbs live weight.

I need to pull my game camera pictures to see if I am missing someone I need to target time wise. But I never seem to have really big bucks come to my corn. Or rarely I should say. All does and little bucks. I do have big guys move through my woods along my creek. I’ll be looking for them later in the season (November).

Got the crossbow sighted in last night. It was close, but not right on. I’ve switched up which mechanical broad heads I am using. Switching from Shockwave to Spitfires. I like the fact the spitfires have a practice head as well as no washers/o-rings and are CLEARLY marked for crossbows (I got some shockwaves that were bow only mixed in last year and had issues with them opening in flight as the packaging isn’t clearly marked. Or at least it didn’t used to be clearly marked. Maybe NAP has changed that).

Going out at lunch to throw up my blind and grab the camera card.

Homeschooling the kids this year. So fingers crossed we have an anatomy and physiology class tomorrow morning starting around 7, 7:30am. A chance I might sit this evening, but probably not. I’ve got so much stuff today I don’t think I am going to be finished work until around 6 at best.

I used Nap Spitfires for years without any issues. One of the better mechanical broadheads IMO.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Best of luck to all you bow hunters and at least it is not 90 degrees out.

Heck yeah. Last two years it was humid and hot Friday morning. Year before that it was WORSE. And I had a hike in. I remember it was about 79F and 90% humidity opening day at 5am as I was hiking the 3/4 mile in from the parking lot and up the 120ft tall, 30 degree slope hill to the other side to put up my climber. The vegetation under the tree sounded like it was raining from all the sweat just pouring off me.

Mobbed by mosquitos each time. This evening if I sit and tomorrow morning for sure, I should be able to swing long sleeves and I have a thermacell to try out. There were a crap load of mosquitos last night while I was sighting in. Benefits of cooler, less humid weather and only needing to hike in 30yds from my house to my blind.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This is the dude I think is getting a pass. 99% sure he is a yearling. He has been hanging with, I presume, his sister all summer. Starting to get a little broadening in his neck now. He was kind of skinny earlier. Not the best antlers, but a 5, maybe a 6 point at a year. I doubt he is going to be a stunner, but still hoping if I pass on him this year, he'll make it to next year and come back as an 8+. Being rural residential, doesn't seem like a whole lot of point of trying to wait a few years to see how he turns out. A bunch of bucks this year. Nothing impressive on my game camera here, but I'll move it in to the woods soon to see what is moving back there. Several spikes and buttons, vs last year where I noticed a single spike and 2 or 3 buttons coming in to my corn and salt lick. A few nice bucks moving along the creek, but still not a ton. Like 4:1 does to bucks. On camera and visually I am seeing more like 2.5:1 or even 2:1 (depending on how many of those fawns are for sure buttons, hard to tell this early in the season) does to bucks at this point in the season.

Also that 5/6, a smaller spike and 3-4 does or spikes just ate their way right by my blind while I was staring at them out my laundry room window. Tomorrow gentleman and/or ladies. Tomorrow (big groups of does also moving through around 6-7am and 7-8pm). So I am pretty confident I'll have company tomorrow morning for my sit.

Attachments

• DSCF0990.jpg
      DSCF0990.jpg
      52.7 KB · Views: 232

Ecestu

Ultimate Member
    Dec 11, 2016
    Mobbed by mosquitos each time. This evening if I sit and tomorrow morning for sure, I should be able to swing long sleeves and I have a thermacell to try out. There were a crap load of mosquitos last night while I was sighting in. Benefits of cooler, less humid weather and only needing to hike in 30yds from my house to my blind.

If I can make a recommendation, I bought the below "lightweight bug wear" suit from prime, and cut the head off the jacket. With my military hat that has the brim that goes all the way around, I put the net on top of that so the net doesn't touch my skin. Works like a charm. I can hear the buzzing that's loud as hell, but no more biting! I also permethrin the shit out of my clothes. With a Thermacell, life's good! Kind of a pain in the ass, but it makes hunting bearable.
    Eba6XR5.jpg

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lol. If I see anything, I'm going with the mantra: if it's brown, it's going down!

I can be a bit picky. There are only two other guys in my neighborhood who hunt out of the probably 2000-3000 acres. Now over in the park there is hunting, and I am sure some of “my deer” end up back in there. But it is still 3/4 of a mile away.

This time of year I am seeing 10-20 unique deer per day just in my side yard. Now any given deer might not show up next season. Or even later in the season. Between migration patterns, car accidents and the couple of hunters. Well plus whichever ones are going back in to the park and get kilt…

But I’ve noticed a handful of does and bucks from the year previous. That 5/6 I am pretty sure was a big button from last year and he had a sister. Happens he has been hanging out with a yearling doe that has very similar coloration.

But I figure even odds he either won’t live to see next season or won’t come back. And even odds if he does, he’ll only be moving through my woods and not coming in to the clearing. But, meh. Picky just means I shoot a different deer. I assume at this point his antlers are about as big as they’ll get this season and he’ll shed his velvet in a week or two. But maybe he’ll turn in to a really nice 5/6 point, in which case he might be too tempting.

Then again if I get one in the freezer this weekend, I’ve really only got space for one more. Too much venison left over from last year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom