• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mcmilbra

Feb 23, 2021
    I've still got a couple of buckets from the last go round. Think I paid something outrageous like $69 each.

I had the chance awhile back to buy 20 buckets for 60$ each and i passed wish i bought it all.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Summer is when demand goes up. People start being outdoors more, matches really start going again, etc.

I do think Remington coming back online will help supply, though.

I shoot LESS in June/July/Aug. I however think I'm Abnormal

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I shoot very very little factory ammo. In the last 12 years, I've probably purchased less than 800 rounds of ammo - 500 rounds of remanufactured 45 ACP so I could get a supply of brass to reload, and a couple of boxes of 9mma nd 40 S&W. Most of my reloadable brass stock is range pickup. I've only bought 22 one time, and that's because I got 1000 rounds pretty cheaply.

With all of that in mind, reloading only works if you have components to reload with. Bullets and powder are easy enough - I haven't had an issue getting bullets, although the prices did go up. Powder was a bit harder, but recently powder comes up for sale online pretty regularly, although it has required some substitutions.

Primers are another matter entirely. I've been on the hunt for primers at a reasonable cost for weeks. Sportsman's Superstore had some, but there was nothing for less than $100/brick, some for even more, and I'm not going to do that. I have some primers left - not a lot, but enough to get by for a while longer.

Hopefully primers will come back around soon as well. My thought is that primers are probably going to factory ammo first, so hopefully if factory ammo rebounds sufficiently it will put some primers back on the market.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I shoot LESS in June/July/Aug. I however think I'm Abnormal

Yeah I think that is a lot of guys. Once it gets hit as hell, avoid the range and find cool shade and a beer if you need to be outside. Make excuses about how the chainsaw doesn’t work and you’ve been trying to get it running for hours.

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Yeah, Right.....

I just dropped $250 on ammo at Bass Pro.....

1000 rds. of .22....

.....and 100 rounds of 9mm
    .....and 50 rounds of .38 Special
    .....and 20 rounds of .308
    .....oh, and 250 rounds of 12 ga. 7 1/2s.

.....and that included MDs 6% cut!!!!

I'll admit there was more ammo there than I've seen in a long time, but the prices were reasonable.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

I'd like to see the breakdown on that out of curiosity.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    I check ammoseek.com on an almost daily basis just to feel the temperature of prices. 5.56 I check mostly. It has dropped from about 85 cents a round being the cheapest price to about 65 cents per round over the past couple of months. I am seeing more online ammo available but the prices are still up there. I am seeing a slight drop as well.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I'd like to see the breakdown on that out of curiosity.
    Here ya go.....

38 spl. 50 rnds. $27.99
    9mm 100 rnds. 34.99
    7.62 x 51mm 20 rnds. $27.99
    .22 cal 1000 rnds. $59.99
    Rem. Gun Club 12 ga. 250 rnds. $84.99
    418688fc1cc059c765d7f1217668249a.jpg

The only thing that was a little stiff was the 7.62 (.308)......but I've had a hankering to put a few rounds through this jewel. It was my late Dad's....
    7970ddf8a419d6f3b6625172625a6691.jpg

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Here ya go.....

38 spl. 50 rnds. $27.99
    9mm 100 rnds. 34.99
    7.62 x 51mm 20 rnds. $27.99
    .22 cal 1000 rnds. $59.99
    Rem. Gun Club 12 ga. 250 rnds. $84.99
    418688fc1cc059c765d7f1217668249a.jpg

The only thing that was a little stiff was the 7.62 (.308)......but I've had a hankering to put a few rounds through this jewel. It was my late Dad's....
    7970ddf8a419d6f3b6625172625a6691.jpg

Cool, while not Trump era prices they are livable under some strain. 30 bucks per 500 22..... not as good as the 21 we were paying all things considers ok for now.
    Yeah, the 308 is pretty high but if you wanted it...
    If you need it and didn't stock up........... those are ok deals for today.:thumbsup:

JamesDong

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2020
    Duffield, Va
    Memo to the wise.... at one time not so long ago it was cool to buy obsolete or oddball cartridges but not any longer. Savage 303, 256 Newton, .32 H&R Magnum, 375 Win, 357 Max, 284 Win or even the 30/40. Some of these were great but don't look for them on the shelf anymore.

Just the way it is.

Then again US military from the 06 on to the 5.56 will never go out of vogue nor will the 9mm or 45. Just my .02 in the next 50 years anyway. .

cantstop

Pentultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 10, 2012
    MD
    Memo to the wise.... at one time not so long ago it was cool to buy obsolete or oddball cartridges but not any longer. Savage 303, 256 Newton, .32 H&R Magnum, 375 Win, 357 Max, 284 Win or even the 30/40. Some of these were great but don't look for them on the shelf anymore.

Just the way it is.

Then again US military from the 06 on to the 5.56 will never go out of vogue nor will the 9mm or 45. Just my .02 in the next 50 years anyway. .

My buddies in the '80s said the same thing. That was why I got into reloading. I never really enjoyed reloading so I eventually gave away my RCBS stuff to a friend in 2005. Also, in the 80s, every other store that sold guns seemed to have powder, primers and a selection of bullets. Then again, you could by guns at Wards and Kmart.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    One balancing perspective though is this is from the manufacturers. If demand drops sufficiently, that doesn’t mean prices won’t go down and supply up.

I agree this will be drawn out for a couple to a few years without drastic supply and demand changes. But I don’t believe it’ll be nearly as bad 12 months from now as it is right now. Availability has already been going up and prices eroding some.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    One balancing perspective though is this is from the manufacturers. If demand drops sufficiently, that doesn’t mean prices won’t go down and supply up.

I agree this will be drawn out for a couple to a few years without drastic supply and demand changes. But I don’t believe it’ll be nearly as bad 12 months from now as it is right now. Availability has already been going up and prices eroding some.

And this is pretty much it. When prices are high, production usually ramps up because it makes sense to get into the market when you can recoup investment costs a lot easier. It was one of the lessons taught in Marketing 101 and Econ 101.

If people are paying $5 a bottle for water after a hurricane in Florida, somebody in Maryland will rent a box truck, load it up with $1 a bottle water, and make the drive down to Florida and sell it for $5 a bottle. Supply meets demand.

Kind of like those entrepreneurs did with hand sanitizer, etc. at the beginning of the pandemic. Believe they got charged with "extortion" (i.e., price gouging) in our free market.

Ammo retailers should be charged with price gouging too. Same goes for the manufacturers and wholesalers. lol

I really do think we will see thinks return to normal within a year. The election is over. Everybody and their mother is in the stores without a mask. CVS has changed its policy such that pharmacists only have to wear a mask while giving a shot.

Plus, the ending of government cheese will make it a lot harder for some people to afford ammo at these prices.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom