• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    It gets old seeing there's a new comment on this thread and finding out it's nothing more than some cackling hens going on about something that barley pertains.

That is how almost every thread is. You have to sort through the chaff to get to the grain. I just know who to send a PM to when I need an update on something or which websites to go to to actually get the direct 411. Chatboards are great, especially this one, but they have their pros and cons/benefits and limitations.

Nobody

Ultimate Member
    Jan 15, 2009
    It gets old seeing there's a new comment on this thread and finding out it's nothing more than some cackling hens going on about something that barley pertains.

Just by pass this until June that is when the important stuff will show up.

Nobody

adit

ReMember
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 20, 2013
    DE

That is how almost every thread is. You have to sort through the chaff to get to the grain. I just know who to send a PM to when I need an update on something or which websites to go to to actually get the direct 411. Chatboards are great, especially this one, but they have their pros and cons/benefits and limitations.

I see what you did there...

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    One wonders if seeing Ukrainians take up arms to battle an invader will make it into the opinion.

Not that I am all that concerned about Canada invading us.

camo556

Ultimate Member
    Aug 29, 2021
    Thursday and friday this week are opinion days.

We have 6 October cases and 7 November undecided.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    Scotusblog says:

https://www.scotusblog.com/2022/03/announcement-of-orders-and-opinions-for-monday-march-7/

With only 2 Oct opinions remaining there now is a good chance we get Bruen late March or April.

SCOTUS does not release opinions in the order they are argued. They release them based on when they are finished. I currently has been 124 days since oral argument. Last term it took an average of 104 days from argument to opinion with a standard deviation of 56 days. The longest was 225 days. Given the arguments that were presented I suspect they will need most of the remaining time to resolve the issues with the case.

jcutonilli

Ultimate Member
    Mar 28, 2013
    When in June is the last day?

Nobody

The last day of June is always June 30.

The last conference is June 23. They typically release the last opinion before the end of June, but they have been known to go past that on occasion.

Texasgrillchef

Oct 29, 2021
    Dallas, texas
    SCOTUS does not release opinions in the order they are argued. They release them based on when they are finished. I currently has been 124 days since oral argument. Last term it took an average of 104 days from argument to opinion with a standard deviation of 56 days. The longest was 225 days. Given the arguments that were presented I suspect they will need most of the remaining time to resolve the issues with the case.

That was last term. But if you look at the over all average. And then throw into the average data based on high profile cases, and then when they were argued. In this case November. Then weight the data based on this additional data. One could make a educated guess as this won’t be the last opinion they release. It should still come mid May to mid June. Probably earlier then later.

June 16th marks 225 days. 160 days is April 12th. 160 days is your 104 days plus your 56 days of standard deviation.

Now on a more logical note. This case opinion isn’t a simple one like many other opinions that been written, or will be written. Several of the justices are smart enough to know that this opinion unlike many others that they write will be dissected and analyzed more so then any other. Just look at what was done with the Heller opinion. To several of the Justices dismay, both ones that helped write the Heller opinion as well as those new to the bench.

Therefore it is in my firm belief and opinion that they wish to at least attempt to write this opinion in a way it will be least helpful to those who are anti-2A. Is that even possible? We shall see.

Also keep in mind, the amount of research being done in the all the various laws, and history that they must cite if used in their opinion. Include in that the countless memos between interns, and justices in all directions from all interns and justices. Probably even countless meetings , phone calls, and probably even texts. This isn’t one of the opinions that can be quickly or easily written.

Here’s a good question for you. Do you know how long it took them from day of arguments till the opinion was released in both the Heller and McDonald opinions? I suspect it will take a week or two longer then either one of those.

One other thing I would like to mention, is that they might be playing with timing too. As several new cases have filed petitions. One of which is very similar to a current case that is currently being held by SCOTUS pending a decision in this case. They might release the opinion at a time where they don’t have to review the new cases at all in conference as this case and the other May decide those other cases before a conference is required. The timing seems of when deadlines to file briefs including possible extensions is just to good to be more then just coincidence.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    The last day of June is always June 30.

The last conference is June 23. They typically release the last opinion before the end of June, but they have been known to go past that on occasion.

Don’t they usually save Landmark cases for last?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom