• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • I have zero problems with background checks. I have a LOT of problems with the government tracking who owns what.
    I have several friends with well over 100 firearms. I have other friends with one shotgun each. When it becomes "brown shirt time" and confiscations begin, guess whose doors are getting knocked on first?
    A NICS check assigns a number to an individual. It doesn't record what, if anything, was actually purchased. I assure everyone that Marylandistan (MGA and MSP) want to expand their 77r database to include all firearms. This isn't about safety; it is about control.

So then you SHOULD have an issue with this. “oh the background check law isnt working because people arent doing it/Dont know about it, we cant track every gun sale unless we have a registry!” And that registry will come with a long gun license.

You guys just played into their hands, the dems got what they wanted, more incrimental gun control, and you get jack squat.

Go back and re-read what I posted. If you still think I don't have a problem with this, I will elaborate in Fabsroman's style- long and in depth to the point of being borderline irrelevant. (Love ya Fabs)

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Still BS. As much as I like to purchase from LGS. To shop around, for a shop that has a reasonable fee is too much of a hassle. Fees are already too high for transfers. More than $50 on pistols is robbery. I won't be selling or buying private party.

RepublicOfFranklin

Ultimate Member
    Mar 16, 2018
    The ‘Dena - DPRM
    This is still entirely BS. It’s a bad law pushing registration, restriction, and is only a placeholder for the LGQL to pass next year. They want a list of who owns what and this is how they’ll get it. It’s icing on the cake that this will cripple gun shows and make old grandpa’s felons for letting the kid use their rifle on a hunting trip. Just disgusting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    Can this be seen officially in writing anywhere? I certrainly trust Rack and Lurker, but I absolutely do not trust the spoken words of their source. Bad legislators lie, and even the good ones get misinformed.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    If the moms had their way, LEO's and military would not have firearms either. We don't need guns. If nobody has guns, we can all live in peace and harmony.

Remind me to harmonize with a Fox the next time one tries to eat my chickens or a black bear decides it wants what’s in my tent while I am occupying it.

Let along some punk who decides they want what’s in my house.

I know we are on the same page, just rather disgusted today with the sort who are blinded and or stupid out there (probably has to do with a conversation I had with one idiot who said “there is never a reason to own a gun and hunting is sadistic. We already have millions of animals locked in cages and tortured for our food”. You can imagine who we’ll that conversation turned out).

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    An FFL cannot by law do a NICS check on s firearm they do not sell .

The MGA is ignorant.

NV tried this and their own AG told them the law was unenforceable.

Stupid is as stupid does

That cannot be correct. My FFL does a NICS check on me every time I have something sent to him that I buy from Gunbroker or elsewhere. I just bought a rifle from Connecticut and had it shipped to my FFL. I filled out a 4473 and he did a NICS check for the transfer. My FFL did not sell me a lot of the firearms I have bought since 2013.

Never having bought a used firearm, which includes a handgun, what did an FFL do when somebody in Maryland bought a handgun from somebody else in Maryland or before they were banned, a regulated assault rifle? Does an FFL not do a NICS check on a regulated firearm when a Maryland resident is selling to a Maryland resident?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    That cannot be correct. My FFL does a NICS check on me every time I have something sent to him that I buy from Gunbroker or elsewhere. I just bought a rifle from Connecticut and had it shipped to my FFL. I filled out a 4473 and he did a NICS check for the transfer. My FFL did not sell me a lot of the firearms I have bought since 2013.

Never having bought a used firearm, which includes a handgun, what did an FFL do when somebody in Maryland bought a handgun from somebody else in Maryland or before they were banned, a regulated assault rifle? Does an FFL not do a NICS check on a regulated firearm when a Maryland resident is selling to a Maryland resident?

Very different. Across state lines, Federal laws apply I believe.
    You can't sell any firearms to PA residents face to face, in MD. As an example. You have to take it to an FFL in PA. And, a 4473 is done.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County

When you have something shipped to him, he logs it into his bound book
    when you come to pick it up he does the NICS check, collects your money and logs it out of his bound book.

If I meet you at the FFL to bu a shotgun from you, it's my understanding that the FFL can't just run the NICS check, he'd have to log it in and out of the book. Effectively taking possession of it.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Very different. Across state lines, Federal laws apply I believe.

Yes, that is correct.

You failed to answer the more important question, does a Maryland resident buying a handgun from a Maryland resident currently go through a NICS check? I think that is where I would start. If it is only a Form 77R, then this SUCKS.

I don't mind a NICS check for a resident to resident check, but if EVERY firearm sale in Maryland must go through a Form 77R and the MSP background check, then this SUCKS.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    When you have something shipped to him, he logs it into his bound book
    when you come to pick it up he does the NICS check, collects your money and logs it out of his bound book.

If I meet you at the FFL to bu a shotgun from you, it's my understanding that the FFL can't just run the NICS check, he'd have to log it in and out of the book. Effectively taking possession of it.

What if I meet you at the FFL to buy a handgun from you?

buellsfurn

Ultimate Member
    Dec 1, 2015
    southern end of Maryland

I'll try it if i wanted to sell you a handgun Md to Md ffl receives gun you do a background check and wait 7 days I leave with your money . How did i do ?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    Yes, that is correct.

You failed to answer the more important question, does a Maryland resident buying a handgun from a Maryland resident currently go through a NICS check? I think that is where I would start. If it is only a Form 77R, then this SUCKS.

I don't mind a NICS check for a resident to resident check, but if EVERY firearm sale in Maryland must go through a Form 77R and the MSP background check, then this SUCKS.

I dont believe so. Only the 77r at an MSP barracks. I've never done it, so I'm not 100% sure.

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Right, that's exactly the shtick I was thinking. Seller gives the gun to the gun shop, they "log it in" and the buyer completes the deal like he's buying a used gun from the gun shop. Probably for a fee

Not two dudes coming in and "run a background check on this guy Im selling a gun to"

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    An FFL cannot by law do a NICS check on s firearm they do not sell .

The MGA is ignorant.

NV tried this and their own AG told them the law was unenforceable.

Stupid is as stupid does

Seems as though the ATF is saying federal law does not require it and that the FFL would be doing the NICS check voluntarily.

https://www.atf.gov/file/110076/download

If they are going to pass this law, I would prefer that it be a NICS check and not an anal cavity search by the MSP with a Form 77R.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Right, that's exactly the shtick I was thinking. Seller gives the gun to the gun shop, they "log it in" and the buyer completes the deal like he's buying a used gun from the gun shop. Probably for a fee

Not two dudes coming in and "run a background check on this guy Im selling a gun to"

The ATF has a guide on how the FFL is to conduct the process. It appears it is just like any other NICS check. It just happens to be "voluntary".

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    It's the same thing year after year. Pages and pages of regular, good people trying to figure out how to NOT break some stupid ******** law that those idiots are trying to push through

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I'll try it if i wanted to sell you a handgun Md to Md ffl receives gun you do a background check and wait 7 days I leave with your money . How did i do ?

The problem with this scenario, is the increased fees at are added to do the transfer. The bound book rules would apply I would think.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom