• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Atlantico

Sep 5, 2021
    Hi folks. New here so not entirely sure if this is the right forum. Anyway, I’m new to the region and a potential first time gun owner so I’m very unfamiliar with the regulations here or anywhere.

That said, is there any legal way to own a fully automatic Thompson sub machine gun in Maryland with the traditional shorter barrel that is not one of the insanely expensive originals?

My understanding is that Kahr is the current manufacturer, makes them semi-auto (possible and legal for a smith to convert?), and makes them with the original shorter barrel or the (in my opinion silly-looking) longer barrel but that SBRs are more tightly regulated/restricted. Is there a way to legally own a SBR in Maryland?

It sounds like the way to go with full auto is getting an FFL? Then I guess it comes down to conversion and SBR? As much as I love sticking it to the man, I don’t intend to go breaking any firearms regulations so any advice is appreciated. Many thanks!

Darkemp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 18, 2009
    Marylandistan
    All transferable FA Thompson’s are pre-1986 manufacture as are all other FA’s. SBR is irrelevant on a Class III machine gun.

As for an FFL yes they can get and own new manufacture Class III’s, as for you getting one you would require an actual firearms business to do so.

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Not only is barrel length irrelevant federally for machine guns, it’s irrelevant to MD’s laws too. MD’s 29” OAL only applies to semi-auto long guns.

The Auto Ordnance West Hurley Thompsons, like in the RIA link above, are cheaper than originals. Full auto transferable West Hurleys were made from the 60s to 1986, before Kahr acquired the Auto-Ordnance name.

http://www.machinegunpriceguide.com/html/us_subguns_14.html

If you want to start a business and get an FFL and become the relevant SOT, you can buy pre-sample full autos that were imported from 1968-1986. Unlike transferables, only SOTs and government entities can receive them, but unlike post-86 samples, you can keep them after giving up your SOT. Pre-sample Thompsons still run in the $10-15k range last I checked though.

For post-samples, you must destroy or sell them off before giving up your SOT, so you’ll sink a bunch of money into a business and don’t get to keep the gun if all you wanted to do is to own a machine gun. FFLs who are SOTs can either buy post-samples on LE demo letters or buy from SOTs going out of business with no letter. FFL07 manufacturers who are Class II SOTs can make their own post samples to skip the whole buying restriction, but the fees and red tape are greater than being an FFL01/Class III dealer.

budman93

Ultimate Member
    Mar 1, 2013
    Frederick County
    What is your definition of not insanely expensive? You cant just convert a modern reproduction to auto and have a cheap full auto.

Any that are transferrable are probably going to be what most people would consider insanely expensive for a gun. Especially for a first time gun owner.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup , all comes to your expectations of " insanely expensive " . Does +/- $ 20k fit your frame of reference as Affordable ?

We would point you to SBR route , other than the semiauto Thompsons being Banned . Yup , semi is illegal , full auto is legal , but not cheap. ( by muggle standards , FA collectors will point out that they are good investments , and you can turn a handsome profit usually )

Atlantico

Sep 5, 2021
    Yup , all comes to your expectations of " insanely expensive " . Does +/- $ 20k fit your frame of reference as Affordable ?

We would point you to SBR route , other than the semiauto Thompsons being Banned . Yup , semi is illegal , full auto is legal , but not cheap. ( by muggle standards , FA collectors will point out that they are good investments , and you can turn a handsome profit usually )

Wait semiauto SBR is banned? Or semiauto entirely?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Semiauto Thompsons are specifically banned .

SBR based upon Non Banned Semiauto Rifles are allowed , albeit with the caveat that they must be 29 inch OAL .

ken792

Ultimate Member
    Sep 2, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    Semiauto Thompsons are specifically banned .

SBR based upon Non Banned Semiauto Rifles are allowed , albeit with the caveat that they must be 29 inch OAL .

SBRs based on banned rifles are allowed too. SBR or a pistol are how you get to still have them in MD.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Yup , I oversimplified .

But for the OP , it's further complicated by Thompson Pistols also being Banned .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Dang ! My Bad !

Well then Mr OP , you're in luck , and have an low cost option :

1. Obtain HQL
    2. Purchase Thompson PISTOL , as listed on Handgun Roster.
    3. File a Form 1 and pay $200 Tax Stamp
    4. Wait the 1 to 12 months for Tax Stamp to arrive.
    5. Purchase buttstock
    6. Attatch buttstock

Do NOT jump the gun , and do 5 or 6 before #4

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom