• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Any local gunsmiths I can have install a new barrel on my 1917 Winchester Enfield ?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Guess I will have to jump through the CMP hoops to get certified so I can send them my rifle.

Any decent gunsmith should be able to swap a barrel on a m17, how long a wait list they have may be an issue though.
    CMP is the same way however they would have more experience with getting the head space correct.
    On a M17 you will read on the internet that slight resistance on a gauge will qualify the barrel however I never had one that completely closed on a no go.
    Close, but never completely even on a barrel swap and Ive done more than a few of them.
    The thing the smith needs to be aware of is the camming action of the bolt as it goes into battery and the ability of the bolt to be turned shut on a gauge a few degrees after initial resistance is felt.
    Warpath Vintage would be my first suggestion but Im not sure if CID has been taking on rifles.
    I read a post this very day that August he will begin taking on more work.

Straightbolt

Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Any decent gunsmith should be able to swap a barrel on a m17, how long a wait list they have may be an issue though.
    CMP is the same way however they would have more experience with getting the head space correct.
    On a M17 you will read on the internet that slight resistance on a gauge will qualify the barrel however I never had one that completely closed on a no go.
    Close, but never completely even on a barrel swap and Ive done more than a few of them.
    The thing the smith needs to be aware of is the camming action of the bolt as it goes into battery and the ability of the bolt to be turned shut on a gauge a few degrees after initial resistance is felt.
    Warpath Vintage would be my first suggestion but Im not sure if CID has been taking on rifles.

I will be using an original 12-18 W barrel I tracked down that's in excellent condition to replace the HR replacement barrel that someone counterbored. The rifle shoots shotgun patterns so it was either replace the barrel , sell it or make it a wall hanger. The stock is very nice original finish and it's a Winchester so I'm going with a new barrel.
    I will check with Warpath Vintage.

Oswaldo87

Feb 1, 2020
    Frederick County
    I’ve been searching for a new barrel for close to a year. Criterion hasn’t turned any lately I guess. CMP said they had them but once I jumped through all the hoops they sent a brisk email stating that they are out of stock. Numrich has a 6 groove untuned barrel that would need the remaining machining in order to be back to original.
    If you have a take off barrel, disregard my response. But if anyone knows where to get a uninstalled criterion, I’m open ears.

Straightbolt

Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs

Thank You Doco Overboard for the tip !
    Just got my rifle back from Warpath Vintage ( Chuck Moline) he was on vacation but agreed to replace the barrel for me.
    I stripped it down to just the barrel and receiver and sent it to him with the bolt and my Winchester replacement barrel.
    He happened to be re-parking an M1 Garand at the time so he replaced the barrel and re-parked the new barrel and receiver for me. He had it for only a few days before return shipping it to me. Return shipping and all work $200 back to me.
    Very happy :party29:

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Thank You Doco Overboard for the tip !
    Just got my rifle back from Warpath Vintage ( Chuck Moline) he was on vacation but agreed to replace the barrel for me.
    I stripped it down to just the barrel and reviver and sent it to him with the bolt and my Winchester replacement barrel.
    He happened to be re-parking an M1 Garand at the time so he replaced the barrel and re-parked the new barrel and receiver for me. He had it for only a few days before return shipping it to me. Return shipping and all work $200 back to me.
    Very happy :party29:

Chuck spent considerable time educating me through my first foray's into re-barrelling some vintage US martial arms quite some years ago when I had questions or needed to know particular technical details.
    He's probably the best resource for getting things done and done correctly without a lot of BS or non-sense.
    He's one of the few persons who you can call on the phone and still get pro advice that's not just internet discussion from persons who never did the work or just regurgitate things they heard elsewhere that were repeated from somewhere else.
    Brian Dick at BDL is another one that specializes in arms of the royal empire. Real people, real guns, real service without excuses.
    Glad your happy with the result. I'm not surprised to hear anything otherwise than being completely satisfied.
    With care and proper maintenance your rifle is good for another 100 years easy, you gotta love it when all that comes together nicely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom