New to MD from GA. What do I need to do?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • stevenjo28

Jun 29, 2021
    Hey folks, I'm new to the state. I have a Glock 43 which I use for self-defense at home and occasionally take out for target practice. I have a Georgia Carry Permit, which I don't think is valid in Maryland.

Do I need to register my Glock? And how do I do that if I need to?

I also probably need to get a Carry Permit again. Is there a way for me to exchange my Georgia Permit for a Maryland Permit? It's still valid for another 4 years.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Maryland is a "May Issue" state. Your GA CCW means nothing towards getting a MD CCW, and MD doesn't offer reciprocity with any other state.
    A lot of good information on all this can be found here:
    https://www.marylandshallissue.org/jmain/index.php Consider joining the organization; they've done a lot to fight for 2A rights in MD.

In order to obtain a MD CCW, you need what the State Police determine to be a "Good and Substantial Reason". Justifications that have worked are:
    1. You're a well-connected MD Democrat politician
    2. You own a business and transport cash, or are an armored car guard
    3. You're a well-connected MD Democrat politician
    4. You have a security clearance
    5. You're a well-connected MD Democrat politician
    6. You have documented threats (via police reports) against yourself or your family of death or serious bodily injury
    7. You're a big donor to a well-connected MD Democrat politician

Other than those reasons, you're pretty much screwed. And if you think 1,3,5, & 7 are just cynical sarcasm, you would be incorrect. :sad20:

All new MD residents after 10/1/2013 need to "voluntarily" register their handguns under threat of severe criminal penalty. See here:
    https://mdsp.maryland.gov/Organization/Pages/CriminalInvestigationBureau/LicensingDivision/Registration/NewResident.aspx

Kharn

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2008
    Hazzard County
    - Any business owner can qualify for a permit with a bit of effort.

- A top secret clearance is automatic issue, secret requires a bit more effort.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    #2A - Currently Business Owner in and of itself is accepted , with no Restrictions . A designated Supervisory Employee , with letter of request from Owner , will be accepted , with Restrictions of " Valid while conducting business as ( job title) for ( your employer ) .

#2B - Not just Armored Transport crews , but all flavors of Security/ Private Investigator/ etc . Typically either " while on duty " or " while on duty Plus to & from residence " .

# 4 - Usta be that Plain Secret with particular specific circumstances would frequently be successful at HPRB Appeals . Alas nowadays the HPRB is gone , and the ALJ only looks at wether the MSP followed their own internal procedures , not looking at the underlying merits .

From Georgia it's probably new to you , but in Maryland , the Restrictions are a big thing . Since 2013 , violation of Restrictions is Criminal , with 3 year penalty , thus making you a Prohibited Person .

Unless you are Exempted ( primarily by prior Mil service ) you must take the 16 hour Training Class . Their specific Class . And take it Before applying , putting your up front costs to apply in neighborhood of $500 . ( You can hedge your investment by taking a Joint Class accepted by both Maryland and Washington DC , which IS Shall Issue .)

Taking a U Turn to Georgia might not be practical for you . But Maryland is a narrow State , so give careful consideration to moving just over the border of neighboring state , and commuting . Not only will you have more Rights , but lower taxes and less corrupt government .

Sealion

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 19, 2016
    Balto Co
    - Any business owner can qualify for a permit with a bit of effort.

- A top secret clearance is automatic issue, secret requires a bit more effort.

Cash is not a requirement to get a permit as a business owner. You need to show an actual business with deposits and bank statements.

stevenjo28

Jun 29, 2021
    Thanks everyone for the advice! Just to reply to everyone at once,

I'm moving for work, and I already signed a lease, so moving isn't really an option. Besides, apart from the gun laws, I really like it here so far, at least where I live near Frederick. In GA I was near Woodstock.

Looks like I won't be getting a Carry Permit in MD. I wish I could, but I'm fine with only using my Glock at home or at the range (I'm allowed to transport my weapon to/from a range so long that it's secured in a locked case, right?)

And I guess I didn't really mention it before, but this is the 2A Issues forum, so I'll mention it now. I agree with Bernie Sanders on basically every issue, except for gun rights. I'm registered to vote as a Democrat, just because it makes sense for me. Guns don't matter to me enough that I'd ever ignore every other agreement I have with the Democratic party to not vote for them, but I'll definitely keep my eye out for the primaries when a pro-gun candidate comes along.

Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Guns don't matter to me enough that I'd ever ignore every other agreement I have with the Democratic party to not vote for them, but I'll definitely keep my eye out for the primaries when a pro-gun candidate comes along.

The leadership of the Dem Party in MD at the state level is utterly dominated by a group from a single county, Montgomery. And that clique has made severe gun control one of its signature issues. So any candidate who tried to move forward in the Party who didn't toe the line on guns would quickly find themselves isolated from any Party support. So I doubt you will ever see a Dem primary candidate for a statewide, or even significant county, race ever have anything less than a "Ban 'Em" platform on guns or they'd be shunned and their campaign sabotaged within the Party.

I'll leave the remaining issues in your last post to others to address. I'm sure there'll be no shortage of opinions. :D

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    The leadership of the Dem Party in MD at the state level is utterly dominated by a group from a single county, Montgomery. And that clique has made severe gun control one of its signature issues. So any candidate who tried to move forward in the Party who didn't toe the line on guns would quickly find themselves isolated from any Party support. So I doubt you will ever see a Dem primary candidate ever have anything less than a "Ban 'Em" platform on guns or they'd be shunned within the Party.

*****This. There are so many people, including politicians, here that are not only anti gun but very strongly anti gun and just want outright confiscations to begin with as little to no due process or recourse. If that means formerly law abiding citizens are now felons folks with this mindset also have no problem with not only confiscating the firearms but with wholesale forcing of compensation to “victims” affected by gun violence by said gun owners that have assets or resources.

Some of the otherwise seemingly kind and caring folks who love Mother Earth and want nothing more than peace on earth and everyone to have a puppy are they themselves totalitarian ideologues who are amongst the least tolerant of people that might disagree with them. They hate the police, unless they control the police and can use them to enforce ever more anti freedom and anti liberty laws.

The irony of all of this is that during all of the riots, looting after Floyd some of these anti gun people came to people like me to teach them how to use their recently acquired firearms to “protect themselves and their families”. So they are anti gun until their own skins feel threatened:sad20:.

Lots of guns being bought now and I’m pretty sure more than a few are by liberals, anti gun types who seemingly are oblivious to their own pathetic hypocrisy.

Irony of irony a guy I have discussed these very issues with on multiple occasions, and who is very anti gun himself and all for gun confiscation to apparently eliminate all crime and have places like Chicago, Baltimore, and Detroit suddenly be Sweden with everyone getting along swimmingly had an interesting weekend a couple of months back... This guy, who I have argued and discussed the futility of gun control in general on reducing crime, unbeknownst to him, SHOWS UP to my NRA Basic Pistol Class !!! :sad20: He wasn’t even honest enough to come and talk to me about his sudden interest in acquiring a handgun (class was also a qualifier for HQL). I held my tongue, but could clearly see he felt more than somewhat uncomfortable in my class.

Funny how folks attitudes on banning or severely restricting guns can change when they feel their own skin, or that of their families is threatened when they see the police being unable to respond or even protect themselves in cases around the country (Seattle, Portland, Ferguson, etc..)

Some people are absolutely shameless in their hypocrisy.

Attachments

• 865B838F-9526-4706-A324-DDAA6710B643.jpg
      865B838F-9526-4706-A324-DDAA6710B643.jpg
      76.6 KB · Views: 344

Trappemann

Mar 26, 2013
    Eastern Shore

I'm moving for work, and I already signed a lease, so moving isn't really an option. Besides, apart from the gun laws, I really like it here so far, at least where I live near Frederick. In GA I was near Woodstock.

Looks like I won't be getting a Carry Permit in MD. I wish I could, but I'm fine with only using my Glock at home or at the range (I'm allowed to transport my weapon to/from a range so long that it's secured in a locked case, right?)

And I guess I didn't really mention it before, but this is the 2A Issues forum, so I'll mention it now. I agree with Bernie Sanders on basically every issue, except for gun rights. I'm registered to vote as a Democrat, just because it makes sense for me. Guns don't matter to me enough that I'd ever ignore every other agreement I have with the Democratic party to not vote for them, but I'll definitely keep my eye out for the primaries when a pro-gun candidate comes along.

Welcome to the People's Republic.

How does this work when the Democrat Party basically has Gun Confiscation as item #1 on their agenda?

We all want peace on earth and good will toward all mankind. But when your 1st priority is to eliminate guns, as a method of controlling the Citizenry, everything else touted is simply BS.

Have a Nice Day!

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The State is controlled by a Democrat Clique from Montgomery Co , And Baltimore City , and honorable mention to Prince Georges Co . Said three jurisdictions contain more than 50% of the state population , and consistently vote 80% to 90 plus % Democrat . Add in strong Democrat clusters in eastern Howard Co , etc , and Maryland is a One Party State ruled by the Democrat Central Committee . ( Don't just take our word for it , look it up . Maryland is the most one sided political registration State in the country , and arguably the most Gerrymandered state in the country .)

Meanwhile , welcome to Md , you will find many likeminded people in City of Fredrick .

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009

You've probably come to the right state for you. Don't tell anyone about owning a gun.

Avoid Baltimore, remove your car keys when fueling, celebrate diversity but don't live there, and you'll probably be OK.

Let us know how you're enjoying paying for the free Bernie stuff.

ericoak

don't drop Aboma on me
    Feb 20, 2010
    Howard County

:crazy:

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Well, Georgia will benefit (slightly) with ?1? Less dem voter…. And Maryland has been out of play long enough that one more dem won’t make a difference.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    I'm allowed to transport my weapon to/from a range so long that it's secured in a locked case, right?

Almost right. You are technically allowed to transport your firearms to and from
    Home and The range, a dealer or repair location. Maryland does require firearms to be unloaded and not accessible to the driver in the “passenger compartment”. The firearm and ammo must be in separate closed containers or bags but the law does not stipulate that either must be in a locked container.

Welcome to MD.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom