• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Hey all, looking at getting more seriously into 3 gun.

Shot a 940 JM Pro last weekend and loved it. Have a 930 JM Pro with most of the OR3Gun mods done, but quad loading is still a pain.

It's been an excellent shotgun, but I'm debating selling it and picking up a 940.

Anyone have any other recommendations? Also looking for matches semi local to NE MD. Drove 17 hours for my last one and that was a bit much.

FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    I’ve had a 940 on order since last August. I was getting ready to cancel the order and just get a Beretta 1301 Comp Pro but the FFL just notified me this week that the 940 was inbound. If I like it, I’ll keep it, otherwise may trade it for the Beretta.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    I’ve had a 940 on order since last August. I was getting ready to cancel the order and just get a Beretta 1301 Comp Pro but the FFL just notified me this week that the 940 was inbound. If I like it, I’ll keep it, otherwise may trade it for the Beretta.

That Beretta is beautiful, but what makes it worth the extra $400?

FlokiBear

Oct 12, 2020
    That Beretta is beautiful, but what makes it worth the extra $400?

From what I have seen, they’re fast and reliable with anything you feed it, good on recoil due to the dampeners built into the “kick-off” stock, cheaper than a benelli m2 or m4, but still going to need a mag tube extension as they can only be imported with low capacity mag tubes.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    From what I have seen, they’re fast and reliable with anything you feed it, good on recoil due to the dampeners built into the “kick-off” stock, cheaper than a benelli m2 or m4, but still going to need a mag tube extension as they can only be imported with low capacity mag tubes.

I was wondering why the mag tube was so short on what otherwise looked like a competition ready shotgun. I'm sure Nordic makes a tube for it.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    I just sold a 940 and the buyer is thrilled with it. He isn't a competitive shooter, he bought it as a shtf hd gun.

I have a Beretta 1301 in stock. Nice gun but I'm not able to test it out for myself..

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    I just sold a 940 and the buyer is thrilled with it. He isn't a competitive shooter, he bought it as a shtf hd gun.

I have a Beretta 1301 in stock. Nice gun but I'm not able to test it out for myself..

Was going to mention the 1301,looking very promising, light weight, reliable, just pricy

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Doesn't Remington make the VersaMax in a 3 gun configuration?

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    Stoeger M3K Freedom. Mine runs tip top. From what I understand, it doesn't need to be cleaned nearly as often as a gas operated gun.
    Had mine for about a year and a half, never had a malfunction.

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Doesn't Remington make the VersaMax in a 3 gun configuration?

Remington hasn't made much if anything over the past year.. Chapter 11 tends to do that. They are coming back under new ownership but it will take a while to get the entire line up and running.

MEGARMS

KnowNothing
    Jun 3, 2012
    Carroll County
    Buy Once, Cry Once when it comes to 3 Gun. Benelli M2 is, always has been, and likely always will be the King of competition shotguns. If you can at all afford to stretch, you won't ever need to buy another shotgun. The best feature of the Benelli is that it is Inertia Driven and you never have to mess around with cleaning gas pistons, etc. It is far and away the most reliable, softest shooting shotgun on the market. Any retailer that tells you any different is a retailer that doesn't sell them because they won't commit to the large annual buy in.

As for the 940, I think the jury is still out. It is still a gas gun and why be a guinea pig? If you don't want to pony up for a Benelli, then just get the Stoeger M3k, also Inertia Driven and is manufactured by the same parent company as Benelli. The M3k is the gun most of my friends shoot and most all are happy with it.

I once had a 930 JM Pro that was obviously built on a Friday afternoon. I have known a few others with that gun that were happy, but most are now using it as a boat anchor because they would feel bad about selling it to a fellow shooter. I am sure Jerry told Mossberg to either fix the problems or get his name off of that piece of shit.

Last edited:

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Buy Once, Cry Once when it comes to 3 Gun. Benelli M2 is, always has been, and likely always will be the King of competition shotguns. If you can at all afford to stretch, you won't ever need to buy another shotgun. The best feature of the Benelli is that it is Inertia Driven and you never have to mess around with cleaning gas pistons, etc. It is far and away the most reliable, softest shooting shotgun on the market. Any retailer that tells you any different is a retailer that doesn't sell them because they won't commit to the large annual buy in.

As for the 940, I think the jury is still out. It is still a gas gun and why be a guinea pig? If you don't want to pony up for a Benelli, then just get the Stoeger M3k, also Inertia Driven and is manufactured by the same parent company as Benelli. The M3k is the gun most of my friends shoot and most all are happy with it.

I once had a 930 JM Pro that was obviously built on a Friday afternoon. I have known a few others with that gun that were happy, but most are now using it as a boat anchor because they would feel bad about selling it to a fellow shooter. I am sure Jerry told Mossberg to either fix the problems or get his name off of that piece of shit.

I did have problems with my 930 before applying the OR3Gun upgrades to it, but it's run perfectly since.

Shot a 2 day match with a 940 this weekend and it did great. After taking the 940 apart and comparing the two, it looks like you're right and Mossberg basically did the same upgrades that OR3Gun came up with, plus changed up the loading port to facilitate quad loading.

philmadxx

Jul 16, 2013
    Looked at everything I could find, Benelli is certainly the most popular for good reason, it's awesome. However, I shot a Beretta1301 comp pro and fell in love with it so I bought one. Softer recoil, less finicky about ammo. I also like gas guns over inertia.

I looked at the cheaper guns, seemed like they needed more work to make the run. I was interested in shooting it right out of the box.

Good luck

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Looked at everything I could find, Benelli is certainly the most popular for good reason, it's awesome. However, I shot a Beretta1301 comp pro and fell in love with it so I bought one. Softer recoil, less finicky about ammo. I also like gas guns over inertia.

I looked at the cheaper guns, seemed like they needed more work to make the run. I was interested in shooting it right out of the box.

Good luck

Shooting it right out of the box is definitely ideal. Also why I'm looking at the 940, it looks like Mossberg finally got the formula right. They even redesigned the piston so it can run more than one or two days without cleaning. I think they advertised 1500 rounds

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Remington hasn't made much if anything over the past year.. Chapter 11 tends to do that. They are coming back under new ownership but it will take a while to get the entire line up and running.

Duh... Forgot about that. Thank you.

OP, take this for what it's worth. I love shotguns for tactical style shooting. I'm enough of a Ludditte to still like 00 Buck at social distances. I tell you that to tell you this... I saved money for quite a while and sold an unused 870 a few years ago to buy my Benelli M4. While training beats equipment in many cases, the M4 is simply the finest shotgun that I've ever used. My Dept has 20+ year old M1 Super 90s still kicking around, still in use. Accepting that the market is still tight, if you have the option to save up and get a Benelli I don't think you're likely to ever regret it.

XJ.Cherokee

Jan 5, 2021
    Harford county
    Duh... Forgot about that. Thank you.

OP, take this for what it's worth. I love shotguns for tactical style shooting. I'm enough of a Ludditte to still like 00 Buck at social distances. I tell you that to tell you this... I saved money for quite a while and sold an unused 870 a few years ago to buy my Benelli M4. While training beats equipment in many cases, the M4 is simply the finest shotgun that I've ever used. My Dept has 20+ year old M1 Super 90s still kicking around, still in use. Accepting that the market is still tight, if you have the option to save up and get a Benelli I don't think you're likely to ever regret it.

I've never heard anything but good about them. And you're right, they seem to be king when it comes to tactical shooting.

That said, I'm looking for something I can use for 3 gun. So looking for something with 28" barrel, semi, long/expandable magazine tube, and interchangeable chokes. And ideally cheap enough that I won't cry when I throw it onto a barrel or scratch the coating lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mantis

Latest threads

Top Bottom