• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horseman308

Jan 27, 2016
    So, I've made the mistake of starting to research side by sides, and now I realize I have only the most rudimentary idea what dimensions of a shotgun should fit me. I'm pretty average in size - juat under 6' tall with longish arms. But before I go buying something vintage, I figure I should at least talk to someone who can tell me what I should be looking for. Is there a shop here in the area (I live in Severn) that functions kind of like a pro-shop in the way golf does?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    So, I've made the mistake of starting to research side by sides, and now I realize I have only the most rudimentary idea what dimensions of a shotgun should fit me. I'm pretty average in size - juat under 6' tall with longish arms. But before I go buying something vintage, I figure I should at least talk to someone who can tell me what I should be looking for. Is there a shop here in the area (I live in Severn) that functions kind of like a pro-shop in the way golf does?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

You can figure out the drop, LOP, cast, and grip pretty easily yourself. Once you have those measurements, it's just a matter of finding a gun that meets those requirements. In the US, you're not going to find a shop that handles all of these things unless you're at a high-end shooting club (Greenbrier Shooting Club, Nemacolin, etc.) or go to a specialty shop that deals exclusively in English doubles.

If you're right-handed, the cast isn't going to be an issue unless you're buying a used double that belonged to a lefty. Drop and length of pull are the two biggest factors in proper fit. Drop is easy to figure out. Stand in front of a mirror and shoulder a shotgun as you would when shooting. If your eye is raised off of the front bead or buried under the muzzle, the drop isn't correct (refer to the link in the first sentence of my post for a visual of this). You can then measure based on that particular gun and figure out what the drop needs to be for you. LOP is easy to figure out as well using the same link. Once you have the drop and LOP figured out, you can either buy a gun that fits those requirements or have the stock changed (either cut down or built-up) to meet your needs by any competent gunsmith.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    1. Talon's link provides lots of useful information.

2. Establishments that off in person fitting ( not within a comprehensive course of instruction ) are not on every street corner . The above linked Pa establishment is the one most recommended within a semi- reasonable day trip of Maryland .

There is a Deleware dealer who specializes in high end shotguns that may or may not be capable of assistance . BUT due to their notorious repeated anti- 2A Lobbying and public advocating , I refuse to name them , nor encourage anyone to patronize them .

3. Every one varies , and subtle things can make a big difference , and personal preference is a factor. But that said , from your brief self description , you likely are within the range of standard dimensions of modern era shotguns .

But yes there was a significant evolution in common Shotgun stances and resulting stock dimensions back in the day , think of the 1900- 1920 era as being transitional .

Augie

Ultimate Member
    Sep 30, 2007
    Central MD
    Albrights in Easton usually has vintage SxS's and is also a Guerini, Fabarm dealer, Fabarm just came out with a 20 gauge SxS for the US market called the Autumn.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Easydoesit

Latest threads

Top Bottom