• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Beware of Dog
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 16, 2013
    AA Co
    F these assholes they require you to give them your email so they can put you on their junk mail list.
    You can just close that window and browse freely, I do all the time. ;) Tho I haven't ordered from them lately, you can also opt out of those emails. They do fish tho..

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    Natchez has Rem 9-1/2M (MLRP) back in stock along with a bunch of other non-unicorn

And no hazmat fee for orders > $99
    1679573078685.png

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Be aware that the KVB 223 primers are too soft for AR15 stuff. You need the KVB556 or Magnum.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Speaking of Primers. I went to this site to look at the charts and am wondering if there is a mistake for the 44 SPL primer vs 44 Rem Mag. The Graf and Sons chart lists LR primers for 44 SPL, but I am pretty sure it should be LP like the 44 Mag. Can anyone confirm?

View attachment 406160

It's supposed to large pistol primers.

Thanks erwos. I suspected so.

I should notify Graf and Sons.

I went to the Graf and Sons website today. The LP for a 44 Special is correct in the chart on their page as of today. They might have been notified and fixed it.

1682343214656.png

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Midsouth has CCI BR2 and Rem 9-1/2. Not cheap

I noticed Midsouth has CCI #550 Magnum Small Pistol/SPM

In GP100, I have primarily shot factory .38 Spl. These call for Small Pistol primers, will it hurt anything to use SPM primers in .38 reloads? The obvious answer is to use SP. Then for .44 Mag/44 SPL get LP primers. However, .357 Mag get SPM. I did a quick scan of the Graf and Sons Primer and Bullet size charts and it appears that ONLY the 357 Mag uses the SPM primers. I could not find another load that does.

Correct me if I am wrong, anybody. Thanks.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City

In GP100, I have primarily shot factory .38 Spl. These call for Small Pistol primers, will it hurt anything to use SPM primers in .38 reloads? The obvious answer is to use SP. Then for .44 Mag/44 SPL get LP primers. However, .357 Mag get SPM. I did a quick scan of the Graf and Sons Primer and Bullet size charts and it appears that ONLY the 357 Mag uses the SPM primers. I could not find another load that does.

Charts of this sort by cartridge are arguably misleading. As an example, the correct primer for .357 magnum loads can be a magnum primer, and it can also be a standard primer. Whether primers are standard or magnum is dependant primarily upon powder used, and the load combination. A load will be a function of a combination of components, with each specified, rather than a cartridge name. Good reloading manuals will specify which primer is being used in combination with the other components.

chilipeppermaniac

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Charts of this sort by cartridge are arguably misleading. As an example, the correct primer for .357 magnum loads can be a magnum primer, and it can also be a standard primer. Whether primers are standard or magnum is dependant primarily upon powder used, and the load combination. A load will be a function of a combination of components, with each specified, rather than a cartridge name. Good reloading manuals will specify which primer is being used in combination with the other components.
    Thanks Uncle Duke, I suspected so.

My M.O. Modus operandi is to cross reference everything by the book(s)

I have only reloaded .270 ammo for hunting and my other hunting load is .30-06, so I hadn't crossed the bridge of questions on Magnum calibers yet. Now that I am wanting to reload pistol ammo, the variations of primers necessary to purchase is now in the picture.

I have the Hornady reloading manual that came with my Lock N Load kit, and as another member suggested, I should get a Lyman and Lee manual, and it never hurts to have others for my library of resources...

EDIT:

As I have told a few members in here, Sadly I lost my " all things shooting" buddy a couple years ago when he passed away. If my books, and equipment were missing anything I needed, I could always use Scott's resources and mind to double check myself. Sadly, I am totally unaware of what his 3 adult children did with all his firearms, reloading gear and library of info.

Last edited:

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    In GP100, I have primarily shot factory .38 Spl. These call for Small Pistol primers, will it hurt anything to use SPM primers in .38 reloads?
    Will your gun blow up or otherwise become over-pressured? No.

Will your rounds not ignite because your revolver's hammer doesn't have the oomph to light off SPMs? Possibly.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

357 doesn't necessarily use SPM primers. It depends on the powder and the charge. A small pistol primer in a 357 case with regular 357 primers will happily set it off. It is really only when you get in to ball magnum powders like lil gun and H110 you have to use a magnum primer.

Same with 44 mag. Run regular pistol powders and you don't really need a magnum primer. Run magnum powders, you need a magnum primer.

Magnum primers with non-magnum powders will lead to higher pressures and tend to have less consistency in burn rate. My bit of experimentation is you tend to get 10-20fps more velocity (but not always), but at least with CFE pistol, Bullseye, and Titegroup I notice reduced accuracy and standard deviations with magnum primers. It isn't a dramatic drop off, but in 38spc as an example, I typically see around 6-8fps SDs with 158gr MBC SWC loaded with, I think it is, 3.6gr of Bullseye and CCI standard pistol primers. It clocks in at about 820fps out of my 6" Colt Official Police. Switching to magnum primers I see about 835fps, but SDs of 16-18fps and accuracy is a little poorer. Out of my 44 Mag running Winchester LPP (which are magnum hot) and TG, I see about 26-28fps SDs running then at around 1150fps for 240gr MBC SWC. Switching to CCI LPP and velocity drops about 10fps, but SD's also drop into the low teens and accuracy at even just 25yds tightens up an inch or two offhand.

I've tested CCI standard vs magnum, federal standard vs magnum, and Winchester Standard for small pistol. In large pistol I've tested CCI standard large, CCI magnum large, Federal GMM large, and Winchester large (which is advertised for both, and is definitely hotter than CCI or federal standard large).

Not the topic exactly, but with rifle, I've been playing with standard versus magnum primers for .223 and 6.5 grendel with CFE223 powder. I've heard recommendations to use magnum primers with it. If I use a magnum primer, velocity actually DROPS for CCI magnums SR versus CCI standard SR, but consistency with the Magnum primers tends to run low teens, and standard primers it tends to run around 18-22fps. But, accuracy drops with the magnum primers in every load I've tried in both 223 and 6.5 Grendel. Even trying new ladders and finding the most accurate node with magnum primers. At least CCI. For example with Sierra 69gr BTHP standard primer 5 shot groups with CFE223 is in the .7-.8MOA range. With magnum primers the most accurate node is .1gr less, but I can only achieve 1MOA. In Grendel, 123gr Hornady BTHP bullets I can run .9MOA with CFE223 and standard primers. Magnum primers it is 1.2MOA (most accurate node being .1gr higher powder charge). I've tested in both cold weather and warm weather. I suppose in sub zero temps the magnum primers might just be straight up needed to reasonably ignite the powder, but I don't hunt the arctic, so I am sticking to standard primers. At least for CFE223. Now, stuff I load for my ARs will get Magnum or NATO primers as both have harder cups and tenths of a MOA usually matter a lot less for me there, versus shooting precision(ish) stuff out of my Howa's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom