• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaxEtBonum

Jan 22, 2019
    I was there yesterday. It's business as usual. One of the range officers confirmed that the accident was the result of a gun that blew apart injuring the hand of the operator.

Engine4

Curmudgeon
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2012
    Just got word that Hap Baker range is closed till further notice for renovations.

gwfrench

Aug 21, 2014
    Frederick, MD
    I joined AGC because of Hap Baker being closed on Mondays and Tuesdays. For me, that's 40% of the days I will shoot. Being retired I never shoot or play golf on weekends. It's also about the same travel time from Frederick to AGC as to Hap Baker. Nothing against Hap Baker, it's a nice place, just like the option of more days to shoot during the week.
    3 or 4 years ago Hap Baker was shut down for several weeks during the winter to replace a couple of their shot up baffles on the rifle range. Probably doing the same now for the ones that weren't replaced the last time.

Rus

MDS Supporter
    Nov 27, 2017
    No. Carroll County
    Hap Baker is closed for renovations until further notice.
    Along with other renovations, resolving an issue with bullets hitting neighbors' houses early in the week....
    Although a life member at HB and a fan of the place, as an MSI member, I joined AGC last week.

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Along with other renovations, resolving an issue with bullets hitting neighbors' houses early in the week....
    Although a life member at HB and a fan of the place, as an MSI member, I joined AGC last week.

That's some crappy luck to have one's house hit from the rifle range (circled)?

The elevation tool I used shows one hill between the end of the range and one house and 2 hills between the range and the other likely house.

Screen Shot 2021-02-12 at 8.42.51 AM.jpg

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019

I don’t believe this to be true. I believe the neighbor is tired of constant gun shots and she staged it to get HB closed down.

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I find it dubious that bullets are hitting a house when looking at that map. I think it’s somewhat common where someone buys a house near a shooting range and then later attempts to get the shooting range closed. Long time ago, range guy down in laplata told me that was happening there with new home builds

kingfish

Jan 15, 2008
    I was there yesterday. It's business as usual. One of the range officers confirmed that the accident was the result of a gun that blew apart injuring the hand of the operator.

I’m guessing it was reloads.
    About 20-25 years ago I was at the laplata range and the guy next to me, wearing a white sweat shirt, made a strange pop from his M1A and I smelled a different kind of burning smell. I looked over at him and he was just staring into space with his mouth open like he was stoned. I looked back a few seconds later and could see red dots on his upper chest, on the white sweatshirt, and noticed they were getting a little bigger as red dots were also on his face
    Turns out, he was shooting his reloads and a 308 fired out of battery and blew up in his face. Luckily his eye protection saved his eyes. Someone at the range drive him to a hospital
    A week later, I was down there again, and the range guy, can’t remember his name, showed me the shell casing which they later found. It was mostly disintegrated

madmantrapper

Ultimate Member
    Feb 6, 2009
    Carroll County
    I don’t believe this to be true. I believe the neighbor is tired of constant gun shots and she staged it to get HB closed down.

I think you are right. the woman has been complaining about the noise for 20 years. MDE went out and checked on the complaint with a decimeter. The crows in the trees were louder than the gun fire.

Sirex