• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mtlcafan79

Ultimate Member
    Sep 11, 2008
    PG
    Three pages and no mention of N320 yet? Used to use Titegroup almost exclusively for 9, but N320 seems to do it cooler and cleaner than Titegroup.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    N320 is probably better than TG, but TG's availability and slightly smaller charges makes it a better choice for me logistically... and TBH, logistics with reloading is pretty high on my mind these days.

Same thing with TAC for 223 - is it the best powder? No, probably not. But it's not hard to get, and it has 5.56 pressure data.

I saw a couple people recommend Unique, and I sorta laughed at that one. Unique isn't bad or anything, but it's inevitably all over my arms every time I shoot it. I use it in 45ACP these days, and I won't be buying it again when it runs out. Ditto for Bullseye, incidentally.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    The mention of TG leads me to suspect you were trying to make light loads. Load Unique up to full pressure and it burns plenty clean and makes pretty good velocity. It was also reformulated quite a while ago to be cleaner.

leomort

Jul 31, 2020
    I use Unique powder for my 9mm. Not necessarily because I think it's the best, but due to it's versatility as I reloading for several cartridges. And right not, I'm all about streamlining my logistics for my reloading components whenever/wherever possible.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    Might it have been superseded by a newer version? I noticed a Win 244 available.

W244 is a new powder. It is not a supersedure, but rather a tad slower burning addition when compared to W231. It has similar utility as 231, and is said to be cleaner burning, and to have an additive to retard copper fouling. I've never tried it myself.

edrod68

Jun 6, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    I still have some IMR SR-7625 left. Have used to make over 10k rounds of 124 gr target ammo which I also use in 3-gun....gonna be a sad day when I finally run out as it's out of production.

Hodgdon CFE pistol has had some impressive results with 9mm so far...might be my next go to

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    It's always interesting when you see threads like this because a person's "favorite" powder for a particular caliber is often arbitrary - they used something once, it worked pretty well, so they continue to use it. It doesn't hurt that cartridges like 9mm and 45 ACP are pretty forgiving for the average shooter.

I'm not sure I have a favorite for 9mm. I've used Power Pistol because it seems to be a recommended powder for 9mm to achieve higher velocity, and I've used Bullseye because it's economical and I had a fair bit of it.

Otherwise though, there are plenty of powder choices for 9mm. According to the Lyman manual, the one powder that seems to be listed as the most accurate powder for more bullet weights and types than anything is is N340. The downside is that Vihtavuori powder is a bit more expensive.

The other powder that seems to do well from an accuracy perspective (according to the Lyman manual) is Power Pistol. Bullseye and Universal both have a top accuracy listing too - 90 gr JHP and 124 gr JHP, respectively. and Accurate #7 has a listing for 125 gr JHP.

I think I chose Power Pistol in part because the bullets I was loading at the time were 124gr plated HP - I don't know if that accuracy passed along to that particular bullet or not.

There are so many powder choice for 9mm though, and they'll all work:

Bullseye
    W231/HP38
    Universal
    Unique
    Accurate #5
    Accurate #7
    Power Pistol
    N340
    Tightgroup
    etc.

Is there a "bad" powder for 9mm from the various powders than can be used?

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Factory crimp die is a band aid. Go fix the problem.
    Any time the Lee FDC is mentioned, it always seems to cause an argument. I use a Lee FCD with every single handgun cartridge I load. I have achieved excellent accuracy results using it, so I don't see why there would be any issue whatsoever with using it. I'm also not the only one who has experienced this.

Here's a fun one - when I bought my Dillon 550, I ordered it with a set of Dillon 45 ACP dies because I figured, why not? I shelved my Lee dies and started loading with the Dillon dies, then I headed to the range to test my new reloads.

The ONLY time I have had any kind of FTF issues in my Dan Wesson pistols was with ammo I loaded with those Dillon dies. I took the remainder of those loads back to my bench and re-ran them through the Lee FCD, which solved the problem and didn't affect my accuracy in the least.

How is that a bad thing? I'd like to hear what your rationale is for the statement you made - I'm willing to keep an open mind if you can present me with a detailed response about how a reloader is supposed to "go fix the problem" when from my perspective using the Lee FCD is a perfectly viable tool for a reloader to use to get their ammo within factory spec to prevent things like a FTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom