What did you do at your reloading bench today?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Just got a Lee Ram Swage tool last week. Did a few hundred 5.56 cases in short order and was very pleased with the results. Removing the crimps is easier on my hands, way faster, and primers seat perfectly.

Took a few tries to get it adjusted just right.

85MikeTPI

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2014
    Ceciltucky
    Just got a Lee Ram Swage tool last week. Did a few hundred 5.56 cases in short order and was very pleased with the results. Removing the crimps is easier on my hands, way faster, and primers seat perfectly.

Took a few tries to get it adjusted just right.

Did you put the Ram Swage in a progressive press with a case feeder?

I purchased the Lee APP with Swage kit that works in a similar ease manner, but the case feeding makes the process fast and efficient.. I was able to do 1000s of 5.56 and prep 300bo brass in minutes

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I got my replacement decapping pins for my Lee Universal decapping die yesterday, so I can be back in business with that...if I can find the time. The next two weeks are pretty stacked for me from a schedule perspective.

Markpixs

Apr 23, 2011
    NOVA
    Found some HS6 to try in 28 gauge and may not go back to Longshot or 20/28. Meters great, and pretty crimps, may be my new go-to for sub-guage. Cranked thru a flat in no time, love that MEC 9000.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Ram Swage needs a special shell holder, it's not going to work on a progressive. As you noted, Lee APP is the cheapest fastest solution.
    The Lee APP isn't perfect - it has it's flaws - but when it comes to quick processing a lot of brass, it's pretty danged solid.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    The Lee APP isn't perfect - it has it's flaws - but when it comes to quick processing a lot of brass, it's pretty danged solid.
    Lack of ability to trim ultimately is what killed it for me. I understand that sometimes you've got to make design decisions, but 99% of my brass prep is rifle, I need trimming. :)

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    Lack of ability to trim ultimately is what killed it for me. I understand that sometimes you've got to make design decisions, but 99% of my brass prep is rifle, I need trimming. :)
    I bought mine as a means to process bulk mil 9mm with crimped primer pockets. The time it saved me was worth the small amount I paid for it.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Did you put the Ram Swage in a progressive press with a case feeder?

I purchased the Lee APP with Swage kit that works in a similar ease manner, but the case feeding makes the process fast and efficient.. I was able to do 1000s of 5.56 and prep 300bo brass in minutes

No, sir. Using a single stage Lee press. Don't do enough loading to warrant a progressive.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015

I’ve got a Lyman quick trim for that. Not as fast as a progressive with a trim setup, but pretty darned fast. When rocking I can manage to do probably 400-500 cases an hour. One thing I’ve found is I really need to wear some thin gloves/rubber gloves. Gives me some extra grip on the base pushing it in so the cases doesn’t slip. It also keeps from ripping up the pad of my thumb.

Realistically it’s do half an hour of cases, do something else for awhile and then do another half an hour of cases. Rinse and repeat. Maybe 1k in a day.

I still need to setup my Lee App to swage primer pockets. I’ve got about 1400 cases of 223/5.56 otherwise fully prepped. Sized, trimmed, tumbled.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Loaded a few hundred 9mm and maybe 150 223. Finally feel like I've got the primer depth perfect now. Also primed a couple hundred 7.62x39 so I can be ready to load them with some FMJ.

ETA: loaded ~200 45ACP. That's the last of my 230s for now. Still got tons of primers, though.

Last edited:

trickg

Guns 'n Drums
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 22, 2008
    Glen Burnie
    I had a fun one yesterday. I tumbled about 300 rounds of 223, and when they were done, I dumped them into a big plastic canister - probably an UTZ pretzel barrel - and realized after the fact that I dumped them in the wrong one - that one had .308 in it, not 223. :banghead:

It didn't take too long to sort them out, but it created work I'd rather have not had to deal with.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The last time I loaded 7.62x39 there were quite a few cases that needed the primer pockets to be deeper.

Yesterday I used a new K&M primer pocket unifier to make 400 of them all the same depth, and now primers can be properly recessed. The worst were S&B and of course I had more of them than anything else.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    The last time I loaded 7.62x39 there were quite a few cases that needed the primer pockets to be deeper.

Yesterday I used a new K&M primer pocket unifier to make 400 of them all the same depth, and now primers can be properly recessed. The worst were S&B and of course I had more of them than anything else.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I could not take being away from bench for so long. Still bum shoulder (rotator cuff and SLAP tear) but I loaded 25 rounds of 12 gauge shot shells with one hand on the lee load all.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Installed the 2nd guide rod assembly on my Evo, and put the rods on all three of my toolheads. This is in prep for 223->300 conversion, and it probably won't hurt consistency, either. I am nominally planning on trying to use the GSI dies and doing a two trimmer setup to single pass it without using a chopsaw.

I discovered you need to do a full tear-down to do the bushing install on the press correctly, including removing your shell plate and case pusher thingie. It's not really that difficult, and you gotta do it for a caliber change anyways, but it was the first time for me, so it was an adventure. Looks like it all came together again, so mission accomplished.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Installed the 2nd guide rod assembly on my Evo, and put the rods on all three of my toolheads. This is in prep for 223->300 conversion, and it probably won't hurt consistency, either. I am nominally planning on trying to use the GSI dies and doing a two trimmer setup to single pass it without using a chopsaw.

I discovered you need to do a full tear-down to do the bushing install on the press correctly, including removing your shell plate and case pusher thingie. It's not really that difficult, and you gotta do it for a caliber change anyways, but it was the first time for me, so it was an adventure. Looks like it all came together again, so mission accomplished.

GuitarmanNick

Ultimate Member
    Jan 9, 2017
    Laurel
    Tip: To remove labels from most plastic containers(large cashew containers are my preference), fill with hot water to a point above the label and let stand for a minute. The glue will warm up and allow most to be easily and completely removed. Clean up any excess glue using alcohol or vegetable oil.

Contents are easy to see, containers are stackable, still light enough to pick up even if filled with bullets.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom