• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    Hate to revive old thread and correct me if wrong but in conclusion

Two residents of the same state each with FFL03 can not circumvent state law by crossing state lines to make transaction.

Residents of different states, for example FFL03 from State A and FFL01 or FFL03 from State B, within the boundaries of state B, only Federal and state B firearms laws apply, except firearms that are illegal to own in home state A of the FFL03 can not be transferred? Any in state permits or registration would not apply to FFL03 for purchases made outside of their state, if there is no requirement for registration of firearms brought into ones home state, there is no need to register any C&R firearms bought outside their home state with FFL03.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Hate to revive old thread and correct me if wrong but in conclusion

Two residents of the same state each with FFL03 can not circumvent state law by crossing state lines to make transaction.

Residents of different states, for example FFL03 from State A and FFL01 or FFL03 from State B, within the boundaries of state B, only Federal and state B firearms laws apply, except firearms that are illegal to own in home state A of the FFL03 can not be transferred? Any in state permits or registration would not apply to FFL03 for purchases made outside of their state, if there is no requirement for registration of firearms brought into ones home state, there is no need to register any C&R firearms bought outside their home state with FFL03.

To further muddy the waters -

Does an offense take place at the above out of MD transfer, or when the recipient brings the prohibited item into Maryland? Is it legal if the recipient stores the prohibited item in another state in America and never brings it into this Colony?

Discuss...

capt14k

Jul 27, 2015
    To further muddy the waters -

Does an offense take place at the above out of MD transfer, or when the recipient brings the prohibited item into Maryland? Is it legal if the recipient stores the prohibited item in another state in America and never brings it into this Colony?

Discuss...
    If the seller is a FFL they can not knowingly sell a prohibited firearm to a resident of a state in which it is prohibited. I believe that was in ATF Handbook.

Now if it were to be purchased from a non FFL and never brought back to home state where it is prohibited I don't see where that would be illegal since state law doesn't extend across state lines, but then there becomes a storage problem.

Now if one had say a cabin in PA, and is a dual resident then that would be ok. For instance unlicensed individuals from NJ with home in Florida that are dual residents can buy firearms that are not NJ legal, but are Florida legal as long as they are kept in Florida. At the same time NJ residents can buy handguns legally in Florida and bring back to NJ, as long as they are NJ legal, without applying for NJ handgun permit or jumping through any of their hoops.

Based on those scenarios I believe the offense would take place for a prohibited firearm purchase outside of Maryland once brought back to Maryland for the buyer, but for the seller at the time of sale if they are federally licensed.

Sirex