• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    This is the second screw that has fallen/stripped out of my Tristar ATAC. This happened yesterday at the range.

IMG-0550.jpg

I don't think that these screws are adequate for the recoil of heavy loads. They were tight from the git-go and threadlocked. So now I am almost 100 percent committed to permanently reinstalling the rail this morning with JB Weld.

Normal school of thought would be to drill out and re-tap for larger screws. I think JB Weld is a much more economical way to repair this, for I have no plans to ever remove the rail and no plans to spend an exorbitant amount of money with a gunsmith to address a $300.00 turk shotgun. For sure I'm a collector of tools but don't even want to buy a tap and die set right now; in order to do it myself.

I've did a little research on the Internet for what I'm about to do. Just curious if anyone else has done the same thing...

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    Whatever works. JB weld has failed me in the past. It is aluminum? I've used a piece of plastic to make the hole smaller and screwed into that. Are there any other ways to attach the rail?

Maybe try better screws of the same thread pitch? If the rail is aluminum and you get harder screws you can screw into the aluminum and it'll reset the thread without tapping.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Whatever works. JB weld ahs failed me in the past. It is aluminum? I've used a piece of plastic to make the hole smaller and screwed into that. Are there any other ways to attach the rail?

Receiver is steel and the rail is aluminum.

No other way to attach the rail unless I drill additional holes. Not doing that. Too much work.

Did you abrade both surfaces before you applied JB Weld? To give the epoxy something to "bite" to?

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    You could also buy a Remington with the cantilever rail and sell the Tristar?

I already have a Remmy with a cantilever barrel :)

I like this turk gun though. So am going to make it work. All guns need love. This turk is just asking for a bit more right now.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Turkish shotgun. Can’t say I’m surprised. They have a BAD reputation. At least the gun still goes bang. Good luck.

Yea. Not the best reputation among all shotguns. But this one cycles well and is comfortable (fits me).

I'm going to clean it up from yesterday's shooting session, and then degrease/abrade/JB Weld the rail onto the receiver. Crossing the Rubicon. Unless I torch it back off. That ain't happening.

Rambler

Doing the best with the worst.
    Oct 22, 2011
    Receiver is steel and the rail is aluminum.

No other way to attach the rail unless I drill additional holes. Not doing that. Too much work.

Did you abrade both surfaces before you applied JB Weld? To give the epoxy something to "bite" to?

Make sure you clean the surfaces you wish to adhere very well with acetone or isopropyl alcohol.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    Make sure you clean the surfaces you wish to adhere very well with acetone or isopropyl alcohol.

I have isopropyl but I think I'll run out to get a small can of acetone. The plastic fouling is pretty bad in the bore of it from yesterday, so acetone will make quick work of that. Acestone will remove bluing too. Must be careful

Bountied

Ultimate Member
    Apr 6, 2012
    Pasadena
    I have isopropyl but I think I'll run out to get a small can of acetone. The plastic fouling is pretty bad in the bore of it from yesterday, so acetone will make quick work of that. Acestone will remove bluing too. Must be careful

Just bubba the hell out of it. As long as it still functions it'll be fine.

Did you check the threads in receiver? If the screws were the wrong thread pitch and that's why they stripped maybe you can get the correct screws? Cheap screws are a problem. If the threads looks ok on the receiver maybe just upgrade the screws?

Sirex