• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Newcomer

Nov 14, 2015
    Three years ago I moved here from New York. I have been looking for a place to shoot. I have heard of the Sanner's Lake Sportman's Club in St. Mary's County. However, I have also heard that this club has a long history of racial discrimination against African-Americans, and that it continues to do so. I would not want to be associated with a club that is doing so behind closed doors. Is it true?

Last edited by a moderator:

Newcomer

Nov 14, 2015
    A local real estate agent. Have you seen any club members who are African-American?

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    Hmmm...New member fails to introduce themselves, fails to read the new member info, starts out with highly provocative first post- probably won't end well...:tinfoil:

Capt Skup

Ultimate Member
    Feb 29, 2012
    Calvert County
    You have been in Southern Maryland for three years, so I assume that you have secured a house or permanent residence. Just sounds odd that you are consulting with a real estate agent about the make up of the members of a local shooting range. I have been to Sanners for a few shooting events. Much like the diversity(not my favorite word to describe people) of the local area, I see people from all walks of life shooting and enjoying each others company.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Newcomer, I would suggest you query your realtor a little more about his/her information. Some of the responses should reveal a surprise at your question.

Coming in and stirring things up won't get many worthwhile responses, but I'm going to try.

No, the club is not racist. There is a very diverse group of shooters there. The Board members are all very fair, approachable. There is a limited capacity for membership at this Private shooting range. Trust us, it's that way for a reason. That reason is to maintain a manageable level of potential shooters on any day, reducing possible overcrowding and wait times.

Since the capacity is limited, getting in depends upon the number of vacancies. You should apply so you can get on the waiting list. The sooner you can do that the greater the possibility of getting in on the next cycle.

FYI, the application didn't have a check box anywhere I recall asking for ethnicity. How the Board would even know one's race in order to exhibit potential racial bias will be hard.

Try asking meaningful questions rather than propagating obvious misinformation. Don't come in with an agenda or chip on your shoulder. Welcome to MDShooters!

Newcomer

Nov 14, 2015
    I simply asked the real estate agent if there were any places to shoot, and she mentioned this club and stated her concern about the club's membership. This issue had not crossed my mind.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I simply asked the real estate agent if there were any places to shoot, and she mentioned this club and stated her concern about the club's membership. This issue had not crossed my mind.

And of course the thought never crossed your mind to simply create a post asking if there were any members willing to answer a few questions in private instead of mentioning what you heard so you can draw attention to something that may not exist. :sad20:

BigSteve57

Ultimate Member
    Feb 14, 2011
    I just checked the website of the club in question.
    They have a clearly stated non-discrimination policy.
    I'm going with that as more credible than the OP or the so-called real estate agent.

basscat

Ultimate Member
    Jul 23, 2012
    Newcomer, are you interested in joining ? Have you ever been there ? Why don't you attend one of their many matches that are open to the public and see for yourself instead of relying on what some realtor said who knows how long ago.

Oct 21, 2008
    St Mary's
    Let me add there is a difference between free speech and slander.
    Who is the real estate agent you heard this from or are you just trying to sling some mud?

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Dear Vernon Gray,

You wouldn't by chance be trying to stir up some stink because the club banned you from the property would you?

You deliberately came here on the forum to say a falsehood that you know is untrue with an intent to cause harm.

You know those are basically the three hallmarks of a successful slander suit right?

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Oh, and I'm reposting all of your original text and taking screen shots of the posts since you were a fvcking coward two times over - first for coming here and posting falsehoods under an assumed pretense, and then for not having the balls to stand behind them.

I would think you would have learned something better in the course of your 67 years on this earth.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    And once again, proven that anonymous is not anonymous.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom