• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    It's not that complicated to replace a trigger. Install it wrong and it simply won't work. Check out the SOTAR (School of the American Rifle) forum. Lots of good videos and info there. Check out the LaRue MBT trigger. $90, and I like it as much as my Geissele triggers. Take the money you saved, and take a SOTAR class. You will not be disappointed.

https://www.mdshooters.com/forumdisplay.php?f=227

THIS. A SOTAR class is worth every penny. I have Geissele triggers in most of my AR’s, one SSA-E and several G2s in other ones. I’ve shot the LaRue MBT as well and it’s excellent for the money.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ammo Jon

Ultimate Member
    Mar 3, 2008
    If you've got gun money burning a whole in your pocket now, ammo is never a bad investment, a long with a lifetime supply of Freedom Magazines.

Agreed, minimum 15k rounds. I like MagPul myself, not familiar with Freedom, maybe not available in Maryland?

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD
    I’m a trigger snob. I mess with the triggers in most of my guns. GI triggers suck. If you want a different trigger, go for it.

Training is always a good idea.

I agree with this. GI and many factory triggers are dumpster food, and I won't own a firearm that isn't good to go from the factory or can't easily be fitted with aftermarket options.

As for optics, Vortex says on their site that magnifiers don't work with prism optics. As far as upgrading or swapping, if it's a home defense rifle, you won't need or possibly want any magnification. Both eyes open... If it's a hunting gun, certainly. Get a 3-9x and run it. Best of both worlds? Low power variable optics are the hot seller at the moment. If you have the change, high end Vortex, or any other major name optic company have fantastic options. If your on the cheaper end, I bought a Vortex 1-6 and mount for $220 from PSA and it works well for the price and my usage. Primary Arms and Holosun are other cheaper options with good reviews.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    If you are new to firearms in general a school course is a very good idea (SOTAR). As for triggers, yes Geiselle will spoil you. I don't mind drop-in triggers, but the only brand I have used is Timney. Once you get the hang of installing one of any type, all the rest are easy (maybe not a Hypertouch 24). Magazines, yes, slip across the border and buy a few Magpul PMags. One 20 for bench shooting and a couple of 30s for real shooting. And maybe a 40 for emergencies.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Lots of good advice in the thread. Oh man, with an AR, lots of turns you can make in the road.
    Me, personally, my iron sight ARs get the most range time. Luckily I can shoot steel at 100 yards at my range and I'm doing it offhand cause that's how these were meant for. I count the misses vs looking at punching paper. If you want to see what the gun can do, by all means use a front and rear support. If you want to see what you can do, go offhand or prone or something.
    A lighter crisp trigger does help with offhand work but as mentioned, more so does shooting skills how you hold the weapon and squeeze the trigger. Things I still have not yet totally mastered.
    I have several geissele 2 stage triggers but got them years ago when it seemed they were the only game in town.

Mwzephi

Dec 28, 2018
    Anne Arundel
    Appreciate the advice from everyone. Right now I am going to stick to the factory and continue to get to know the gun better.

My only experience shooting it so far is indoor 25yrd ranges and standing. I am getting nice groupings but, lol, that’s at 25 yrds with a 3x so I know that’s a joke. I was more just getting experience and a feel for the gun and scope.

Trigger is definitely in the future because I felt myself a few times anticipating the pull but nothing happened because I had to pull harder. Got a couple hundred rounds through it now and will run a few more hundred then go for it.

Thanks again.

spoon059

Ultimate Member
    Jun 1, 2018
    Our department rifles are Colt, stock triggers, Aimpoint PRO and iron sights. In rifle school I was hitting iron at 525 yards with irons. Granted that was prone, but still... OP, I would explore how great a GI rifle is before I start throwing money at gadgets. I have more fun with open sights than I do with magnified optics. I will admit that my LWRC trigger is much better than my Windham or issued Colt.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

sasd18

Oct 29, 2017
    Geissele is the king of triggers. I don’t regret spending money on them at all. They can be had for 150-180$

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Most friends have recommended Geissele triggers. I was looking at a Timney single stage as well. My thought was if I am spending around $200 plus it can’t be junk but I’ve been wrong in the past lol. I am a beginner with this stuff but was going to try to do the replacement myself. I figure no better way to learn your gun then doing this but also know this isn’t a toy and doing things wrong can be stupid or dangerous. Thoughts on that?

The "drop in" triggers are simple to install. I would say get used to a standard GI trigger first. Then decide if you want a single stage or two stage trigger. Mr. Geissele did a great You Tube vid explaining the pros and cons of a single versus two stage trigger.

I would be careful of very light triggers (i.e. under 3.5 pounds trigger pull). Military and Law Enforcement choose a 6 pound trigger for a reason; that being said a recreational shooter has different needs.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Shooting once......at 25 yards......and now "looking to make the next steps"????

Your next step should be LEARNING your rifle as it is at distances farther than you can throw a rock.

Surt

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 2, 2019
    What you'd be spending to get upgraded parts would be much better spent on more ammo and range time, I agree with the other posters. I've been shooting service rifles for over 16 years and the Geissele/Timney triggers are great and all, but what always happens is new shooters buy the nice trigger packs, and 1% of the time go on to become amazingly proficient shooters, which they were on track to become anyway, or the other 99% of the time never shoot the rifle after a second range trip and then spend the rest of their time on social media or message boards proclaiming how great their super trigger is without mentioning they only shot it that once.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom