• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • volodya84

MDS Supporter
    Aug 23, 2017
    Guys,

So I joined this forum a while back, about two years ago. Mostly reading here and there... When COVID struck I bought myself a mini-14 because I didn't know much about guns and it was all I could find.

Now I joined the AGC through Garrison Rifle and Revolver and wanted to go shooting but with sights and accessories like a flashlight and stuff... Which made me realize that as is the mini-14 does not take those accessories easily. So I started looking for rails and there are a bunch of options so im kinda confused as to what route to take.

How do you guys recommend I make it really nice?

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    OP a mini 14 isn't designed to be decorated like an AR IMO. It's not a tack driver, so fancy optics are wasted on it.

I'd upgrade the rear sight with a tech sight. The factory rear sight is terrible. If your eyes are bad like mine, get scope rings that maintain zero after you put them back on, then put a red dot sight on them.

Set up this way, you can easily hit an 8" target at 100yrds offhand standing

135sohc

Ultimate Member
    Oct 27, 2013
    I did my stainless/wood ranch model with the ultimak rail and aimpoint pro for a 'scout style' forward mounted aiming device.

Bullfrog

Ultimate Member
    Oct 8, 2009
    Carroll County
    If yours is fairly new you should have two points to mount scope rings above the receiver. It isn't a typical rail or scope mount, it's specific to the mini 14.

If you have an older one that doesn't have those mount points, I would suggest you save your money until prices get back to normal, then buy an AR to customize, and leave the mini as it is. You will probably be happier than you would have been trying to force the mini to be something it wasn't intended to be.

volodya84

MDS Supporter
    Aug 23, 2017
    I believe that mine is the newere model. I'll check the serial tomorrow morning. I ordered the aim spotys tactical quad rail.

I'll look into sights, I received a bushnell red dot in the mail that I put on my bullpup shotgun temporarily (black aces tactical) for kicks, I wanted it to be interchangable with the mini. I do have a lower on the way to me so an AR isn't completely out of the picture for later on, but as my Mini is right now my primary home defense tool, I wanted to mount a flashlight and a red dot if needed.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Welcome ! There are a few threads about the mini-14 on here but the forum search sucks. Google mini-14 and maryland shooters and you'll have a better chance of finding what you're looking for.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    One stupid quirk of MD law that you have to watch out for, is you cannot put a folding stock on a Mini-14. It is a banned configuration (unless it was legally configured that way prior to Oct 1, 2013, and will instantly turn you friendly rifle into an evil puppy and unicorn killing machine, and land you on the wrong side of the law.

arts

Nov 14, 2014
    [FONT=&quot]Welcome from PA!

Take a look at these [/FONT][FONT=&quot]helpful[/FONT][FONT=&quot] links – LOTS of [/FONT][FONT=&quot]amazing[/FONT][FONT=&quot] info!

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]FORUM RULES[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Rules are written in the stone, Break the rules and you get no bones, all you get is ridicule, laughter, a shine box, and a trip to the house of pain.
    [FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Range Etiquette and Staying Safe[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Admin News and Announcements[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Gun Rights and Legislation[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Industry Partners[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]MD Shooters Firearms Map[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Acronym list[/FONT]
    I know we all have limited budgets. There are some good suggestions here. A little off topic but if you in the situation again pick an AR type rifle. If you can't find one put a message on here. I am sure someone can tell you where to find one. At the beginning of the lie of the century a buddy of mine who is a new shooter found two at local gun shops and at a reasonable price.

Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    I know we all have limited budgets. There are some good suggestions here. A little off topic but if you in the situation again pick an AR type rifle. If you can't find one put a message on here. I am sure someone can tell you where to find one. At the beginning of the lie of the century a buddy of mine who is a new shooter found two at local gun shops and at a reasonable price.
    I really have no clue what you just posted.

Raiderjack23

MDS Supporter
    Jul 10, 2020
    Carroll County
    The Mini14 was my first true rifle too. I put a Promag Archangel Sparta stock on it for much of the same reasons you mentioned. After about a month, I realized I had overreached (and it was too heavy). I put the original stock back on. Only upgrade I have on it now is a Tech Sight Mini200 rear sight.

I am 100% more happy with it and would recommend that you maintain a minimalist approach. As someone else suggested there are other platforms more suited.

With that said, if the stock is something you would like to try out. I will offer it to you (or anyone else) at a flea market price. It is just sitting on a shelf now. Just let me know.

volodya84

MDS Supporter
    Aug 23, 2017
    One stupid quirk of MD law that you have to watch out for, is you cannot put a folding stock on a Mini-14. It is a banned configuration (unless it was legally configured that way prior to Oct 1, 2013, and will instantly turn you friendly rifle into an evil puppy and unicorn killing machine, and land you on the wrong side of the law.

Yep I saw that the folding stock one was banned.

I am looking at a lower to assemble into a 7.62x39 AR

I prefer the mini 14 over the AR.

Here are some ideas for your Mini.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7mbvEzVr9BM

Finally got around to watching the whole video as I was not a huge fan of the intro but the vides is actually pretty great, thanks for that.

Put a recoil buffer in it. You'll feel the difference and it will be better for wear:

https://www.mountsplus.com/buffer-technologies-ruger.html

I'm using Wilson Combat M1911A1 Shok-Buff's in mine, since they come in a pack of 6 and I originally bought them for my .45's

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Wilson-C...=sem&msclkid=d17415d29c3b14555f924aef4a4dcaf3

Thanks, I will do some googling.

The Mini14 was my first true rifle too. I put a Promag Archangel Sparta stock on it for much of the same reasons you mentioned. After about a month, I realized I had overreached (and it was too heavy). I put the original stock back on. Only upgrade I have on it now is a Tech Sight Mini200 rear sight.

I am 100% more happy with it and would recommend that you maintain a minimalist approach. As someone else suggested there are other platforms more suited.

With that said, if the stock is something you would like to try out. I will offer it to you (or anyone else) at a flea market price. It is just sitting on a shelf now. Just let me know.

Shit well that would be awesome. I would definitely try it out, PM me. I can always put it on a shelf too lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom