• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kyleag89

Aug 1, 2020
    Hello everyone I just joined this forum and love it so far! I technically am a PA resident because my license and address are in PA. I have been staying with my uncle at his house in MD lately for work purposes. Is it legal to have my pistol and rifle with me?

Thanks for any help

Skipjacks

Ultimate Member
    I wouldn't risk it. Maryland isn't understanding on such things.

And if MD finds out you are living and working here and paying lower PA taxes they will come after you for that too.

(We are only a sanctuary state for undocumented people from Mexico and Central America. Undocumented Americans from others states are considered tax thieves. The irony is pretty thick)

mac1_131

MSI Executive Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 31, 2009
    Define with me. Riding around with a handgun, no unless you're going to the range.

Where you are staying, probably ok as long as owner is ok with it and it's not a banned rifle.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Sounds like BGOS to me.

Not a lawyer, but as long as all Maryland laws are followed, how do you figure it's illegal for a visitor or tourist to have a legal gun?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Too little information , and the details about the unknown factors make a difference .

1. Define " Have With Me "
    2. Would the rifle(s) be of Maryland Legal configuration ?

welder516

Deplorable Welder
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2013
    Underground Bunker
    Not enough of information for folks to give free advice , carrying , transporting , and Maryland has a slew of carefully crafted laws . It is best to proceed with caution and to follow those laws .

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Too little information , and the details about the unknown factors make a difference .

1. Define " Have With Me "
    2. Would the rifle(s) be of Maryland Legal configuration ?

yeah, was kinda seriously vague.

btw,
    A phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range is not banned, last I heard.

Last edited:

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    Not a lawyer and not legal advice...

As mentioned, I think the key is how you define "with me."

I don't think it would be a problem to have the gun in your temporary residence.

Carrying the gun on your person would be a no-no since you dont' have a Maryland carry permit.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Important considerations :

1. Are you Prohibited Person In MARYLAND ?
    Md Prohibits several catagories of persons that are not Prohibited under Federal law . so this isn't necessarily a stupid question .

2. Are the firearms Maryland Legal ?
    Usually not an issue with common handguns . Many popular rifles are Banned , and the distinction between Banned and Not Banned can be subtle .

3. If first two are met , I'll make a declarative statement :

You may have your legal firearms stored at your Temporary Residence .

For inquiries about anything beyond that sentence , it is best for the OP to provide particulars , so the discussion is reasonably on the same page .

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Missed an important part. Since a private residence is not theirs. Has the owner consented?

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    As long as you're not prohibited and your rifle isn't on Maryland's silly banned list (unless you had it pre 10/1/13) I wouldn't even worry about it at all.

If you plan to become a permanent resident they want you to register your handguns.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Not a lawyer and not legal advice...

As mentioned, I think the key is how you define "with me."

I don't think it would be a problem to have the gun in your temporary residence.

Carrying the gun on your person would be a no-no since you dont' have a Maryland carry permit.

Concur.

Folks that have gone to the now extinct HPRB regularly have heard this more than a couple of times.

Kyleag89

Aug 1, 2020
    Oh wow I didn't expect so many responses so quickly!

To clear some things up it is my uncles house and yes he knows and consents to me having firearms in his house. The 2 firearms I would have are a SKS and a 9mm pistol. I would like to just be able to go to the ranges for practice in the Frederick, MD area.

Anything else you need to know just ask and I will answer. I'm trying to be responsible while having fun at a range.

EDIT: To define "with me" I meant only to have them in the room where I sleep and travel to and from a range for practice.

Kyleag89

Aug 1, 2020
    Thats good to hear. I have done some online searching on the topic but didn't find any info exactly like my situation, however I am following both MD and PA laws so I didn't see any issues. Just wanted to have some reassurance from MD residents. Thank you

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Missed an important part. Since a private residence is not theirs. Has the owner consented?

And is the uncle allowed to possess firearms? Will he and others in the house have access to them or will you store them in a safe only you have access to. Will there be any children in the house? If so need to ensure the firearms are secured. A slippery slope grasshopper!

Kyleag89

Aug 1, 2020
    When or if I ever finish my first AR build I either won't bring it to MD or just get a HBAR barrel. I would like to be MD compliant though so I could take advantage of the nicer ranges closer to me in MD. I live in Fairfield, PA which is near Gettysburg and work in Frederick, MD.

Kyleag89

Aug 1, 2020
    And is the uncle allowed to possess firearms? Will he and others in the house have access to them? A slippery slope grasshopper!

He is allowed and has his own firearms. I keep my pistol in a locked safe and my rifle in the closet with a lock on it while not at my house. EDIT no children just him and me

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom