• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dezus

Jul 4, 2020
    Unfortunately since the ATFs change in how they determine OAL on ARs, I've had to look at building a new rifle to comply with the People's Republic OAL requirements. Guess dragging my feet filling out another form 1 forever was a mistake

I'm curious as to what everyone's current favorite SBR setup is. I've got a suppressor waiting on a stamp and I'd like ideas for a dedicated host 5.55 SBR.

grimnar15

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 21, 2019
    Unfortunately since the ATFs change in how they determine OAL on ARs, I've had to look at building a new rifle to comply with the People's Republic OAL requirements. Guess dragging my feet filling out another form 1 forever was a mistake

I'm curious as to what everyone's current favorite SBR setup is. I've got a suppressor waiting on a stamp and I'd like ideas for a dedicated host SBR.

The answers you seek are here:

https://youtu.be/Mxwi9fAe4s8

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    What type of round? You will get different answers based on different rounds. 300BLK, 5.56, 308, 9mm, etc

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    ATF didn't change it. Merryland did.
    Maybe I'm not sure what you meant about "how ATF changed the way they measure".
    Pretty sure they didn't.

MacGuns

Ultimate Member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Chester
    The answers you seek are here:

https://youtu.be/Mxwi9fAe4s8

I haven't seen that video, but I'm glad to see he prefers the same SBR configuration as mine. 11.5 BCM with suppressor.

MDA-20200703-1151-Edit-XL.jpg

dannyp

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 30, 2018
    what did maryland change ? i thought anything less than a 16" barrel was considered an sbr ? thanks , dan

Dezus

Jul 4, 2020
    ATF didn't change it. Merryland did.
    Maybe I'm not sure what you meant about "how ATF changed the way they measure".
    Pretty sure they didn't.

They measure it with the stock collapsed or a brace removed. It used to be brace/stock fully extended was the OAL

Dezus

Jul 4, 2020
    what did maryland change ? i thought anything less than a 16" barrel was considered an sbr ? thanks , dan

It wasn't Maryland, it was the ATFs way they determine OAL of the firearm. Yes <16" is considered an SBR but also anything less than 26" is aswell. Maryland requires atleast a 29" OAL for rifles, including SBRs.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I wanted to do an 11.5 but isn't that shorter than 29"?

No. I have 10.5” barrels on 3 and they meet OAL requirements. Remember, measure with the stock fully extended. Some stocks get you there, some won’t.

Dezus

Jul 4, 2020
    No. I have 10.5” barrels on 3 and they meet OAL requirements. Remember, measure with the stock fully extended. Some stocks get you there, some won’t.

Right that's what I'm saying though, the ATF changed how they measure OAL and now it's with the stock collapsed. Or is it just pistols?

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    It wasn't Maryland, it was the ATFs way they determine OAL of the firearm. Yes <16" is considered an SBR but also anything less than 26" is aswell. Maryland requires atleast a 29" OAL for rifles, including SBRs.

I think you may be a bit confused. There have been no changes I'm aware of.
    If you have something from ATF, then link it.

A barrel's length is normally measured from the bolt face, in battery, to the terminal end of a barrel. That hasn't changed.

Maybe you're confusing pistol -v- AOW?

Dezus

Jul 4, 2020
    I think you may be a bit confused. There have been no changes I'm aware of.
    If you have something from ATF, then link it.

A barrel's length is normally measured from the bolt face, in battery, to the terminal end of a barrel. That hasn't changed.

Maybe you're confusing pistol -v- AOW?

Yeah I'm confusing the change with pistol OAL measurements.

woodline

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 8, 2017
    For performance I think a 12.5” SBR is hard to beat. From a good barrel, the velocity is often within 100 FPS of a 14.5” barrel. If you’re willing to use specialty ammunition, a suppressed 10.5” barrel is hard to beat. 11.5” is a good compromise length.

As far as the whole OAL thing, I think people need to calm down. Unless things have changed in the past few weeks, the OAL measurements have not changed for SBRs. HOWEVER, The ATF has been measuring braced AR firearms with the brace taken off, or even only to the end of the receiver depending on firearm design (AKs get measured to the end of the receiver, as would Sig MPX/MCX, etc) At the moment, they do not include nonfunctional parts that are not permanently attached in their measurements. This really only matters if you want to put a VFG on a braced pistol and need 26”+ in OAL so you’re not creating an illegal AOW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom