• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Matlack

Scribe
    Dec 15, 2008
    Is there data on dropped charges out there? I feel like a better case could be made to the public if we could say "hey, in 80% of cases ending with a conviction, this particular charge gets dropped"

Yes. States attorneys opponents usually tout the plea deal % when the states attorney shows a statistic of 98% conviction rate. Plea deals = conviction. They also have a stat for % crimes involving handgun, etc. Then just apply the % plea deal and you know how many have been dropped. They may keep the straight data, but it probably requires foia.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    honestly, who the f cares? get and keep the actual bad guys off the streets and crime has to go down. and while perhaps not measurable, surely there will be a little deterrence when folks see that crime is actually met with punishment.

but even if it is proven there is zero deterrence, i still want seriously harsh and long penalties to get and keep violent offenders off our streets.

Well, to be completely fair, for crime to actually go down permanently we have to put them in jail faster than piss poor Baltimore public schools can mint new ones.

locking up criminals is only half the battle.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    Well, to be completely fair, for crime to actually go down permanently we have to put them in jail faster than piss poor Baltimore public schools can mint new ones.

locking up criminals is only half the battle.

yeah, and then there's that... but at least if a real bad guy is rotting in prison, we can be sure his crime spree has stopped.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    Hogan is their boogeyman. Anything he proposes will be rejected.

He needs to propose early release and dropping all charges

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    There is a Baltimore " Excile " program , but it opperates substantially differently than the original program in Richmond . Richmond was focused specifically on putting away Felons in Possession for 5yr each . Baltimore's is much broader ( diluted ? ) with various federal agents working in task force with BPD , doing a variety of things .

On topic here, in Baltimore the vast majority of firearms cases are handled under state law in state courts .

In Richmond , the first year had 33% reduction in homicides, and 30% reduction in armed robbery . After 8yrs had cumulative 53% reduction in homicides . With the other approach , Baltimore is , well , Baltimore .

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    There is a Baltimore " Excile " program , but it opperates substantially differently than the original program in Richmond . Richmond was focused specifically on putting away Felons in Possession for 5yr each . Baltimore's is much broader ( diluted ? ) with various federal agents working in task force with BPD , doing a variety of things .

On topic here, in Baltimore the vast majority of firearms cases are handled under state law in state courts .

In Richmond , the first year had 33% reduction in homicides, and 30% reduction in armed robbery . After 8yrs had cumulative 53% reduction in homicides . With the other approach , Baltimore is , well , Baltimore .
    Yes, Project Exile worked very well in Richmond. That is until the "adversely effects minorities" Politicians got involved.

Those same style Politicians are the reason Baltimore has the violent crimes issues it does.

When are we going to address the huge elephant in the room.....that Minorities adversely effect violent crime rates.

Not a racist, just a realist.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Yes, Project Exile worked very well in Richmond. That is until the "adversely effects minorities" Politicians got involved.

Those same style Politicians are the reason Baltimore has the violent crimes issues it does.

When are we going to address the huge elephant in the room.....that Minorities adversely effect violent crime rates.

Not a racist, just a realist.

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

The only "minority" that is singled out for the Exile treatment is . . . murderers.

So unfair.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    While passing all of these new laws is certainly laborious and media-worthy, all he has to do is change G&S with simple stroke of the pen and make a goodly portion of helpless victims not helpless victims any more, and a fair number of bad seeds might get planted at minimal cost to the state.

I do like the Judicial Transparency Act...nothing else matters if they don't get convicted.

Kicken Wing

Snakes and Sparklers
    Apr 5, 2014
    WASH-CO
    As I recall a few similar bills were presented before the house and senate last year only to be shelved. I can't believe the mentality of the majority of our MGA. Hogan even commented last year that this is the most crime friendly MGA that he has ever seen. MGA... Murderer's Generosity Achievement award.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    Except, those charges are constantly dropped or the sentences are suspended. So it doesn't actually do anything.

This part addresses that very well...
    Judicial Transparency Act of 2019, which will require the Maryland State Commission on Criminal Sentencing Policy to publish detailed, judge-by-judge information on the actual sentences that are handed down for violent crimes across the state.

When the names of the judges are publicly tied to their rulings... they won’t be so lenient on sentencing. Revolving doors will slam shut in a hurry.

RoadDawg

Nos nostraque Deo
    Dec 6, 2010
    While passing all of these new laws is certainly laborious and media-worthy, all he has to do is change G&S with simple stroke of the pen and make a goodly portion of helpless victims not helpless victims any more, and a fair number of bad seeds might get planted at minimal cost to the state.

I do like the Judicial Transparency Act...nothing else matters if they don't get convicted.

:thumbsup:

roadking

Mar 11, 2019
    Baltimore, MD
    Is there any evidence that harsh mandatory minimums do anything to deter criminal activity? Everything I’ve seen says they don’t. I see a lot of you propose this as a solution, can you drop some knowledge on me (with sources preferably).

It’s not about deterring criminal activity. It’s about getting known, repeatedly dangerous people out of society so that they can’t hurt again. You don’t leave a tumor in the body. You get it out so it stops attacking healthy cells. You don’t reform it. You don’t seek justice (or revenge) at it. You just get it the hell out of there so it can’t continue to harm. And you hopefully take other actions in parallel, to help prevent new tumors from developing.

Mandatory mins isn’t a silver bullet. Or a single solution. It’s a measure to protect society today. So those repeat, violent criminals don’t kill someone else. The longer term solutions (like education and then jobs, once the citizens are employable) have to come along, too. But get the proven killers away from anyone before they can hurt again.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

ironhead7544

Oct 27, 2018
    I would like to see the percentage of gun charges plea bargained down. The criminals give up their buddies to get a lighter sentence.

An older study showed one FL county plea bargained down 98% of gun charges. Another bordering county plea bargained down 93%. Seemed useless to have gun laws except as a bargaining tool for the DA.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I won't go into it again on the board at length , but I have done some research cross referencing on this with court records . Catch up with me at most MSI events or a cold beverage , and I can talk your ear off .

LRoberts

Retired Master General El
    Oct 22, 2017
    SM County
    Catch and Release needs to end. High time "the judges" and "the prosecutors" had actual names, and for the public they serve to be able to apply the scrutiny and the oversight that they've clearly demonstrated they so desperately need.

Yep, and whatever happened to Court Watch reporting? I reckon that went the way of the honest, patriotic press, now the Lame-Stream Media.
    .:sad20:

jc1240

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 18, 2013
    Westminster, MD
    Catch and Release needs to end. High time "the judges" and "the prosecutors" had actual names, and for the public they serve to be able to apply the scrutiny and the oversight that they've clearly demonstrated they so desperately need.

Stolen from WCBM, but I'm running with it -

MD - more concerned about releasing balloons than releasing rapists and murderers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom