• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • D_S

Aug 22, 2018
    Hollywood
    I am hoping I can find something a pound or so lighter, preferably better balanced, but the lighter weight gives me more flexibility to add a bit of weight in the stock. Preferably more like 350-380fps. Also hoping to not break the bank. $300-600 would probably be my price range.

TenPoint has new models this year... last years are available at reduced prices. I just picked up a Turbo GT with acudraw pro for 625 shipped. (may even get 10% off on ebay right now)

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    This pictures been out there a while, like two years. Theres been stories it's from the eastern shore, but it's also shown up on every western hunting group I'm in on facebook too.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

That’s because that is every hunter’s big white whale. I mean deer.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am hoping I can find something a pound or so lighter, preferably better balanced, but the lighter weight gives me more flexibility to add a bit of weight in the stock. Preferably more like 350-380fps. Also hoping to not break the bank. $300-600 would probably be my price range.

TenPoint has new models this year... last years are available at reduced prices. I just picked up a Turbo GT with acudraw pro for 625 shipped. (may even get 10% off on ebay right now)

Thanks!

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So my usual group of does and a fawn were ravenously eating the corn I scattered. What was different is this time there was a spike standing about 30yds from them looking real longingly at them not doing much grazing.

Getting to be that time when the doe herds break up and the bucks start chasing tail?

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    So my usual group of does and a fawn were ravenously eating the corn I scattered. What was different is this time there was a spike standing about 30yds from them looking real longingly at them not doing much grazing.

Getting to be that time when the doe herds break up and the bucks start chasing tail?
    Doubtful, probably another month (mid-October) before the bachelor groups break up and the boys each start expanding to their own territory. Usually last week of October until about mid-November before they start chasing tail in earnest. Cooler weather can kick start it, and we’re looking at some cooler weather now and there’s dead leaves and dropped acorns all over my yard already. Earlier than I’ve seen in a long while, so I’m hopeful the increased activity starts a little earlier this year.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Doubtful, probably another month (mid-October) before the bachelor groups break up and the boys each start expanding to their own territory. Usually last week of October until about mid-November before they start chasing tail in earnest. Cooler weather can kick start it, and we’re looking at some cooler weather now and there’s dead leaves and dropped acorns all over my yard already. Earlier than I’ve seen in a long while, so I’m hopeful the increased activity starts a little earlier this year.

Thanks. Yeah I keep seeing does all the time, only rare bucks. Usually a spike that’s attached itself to a herd of does. Every once in awhile (about every 2 weeks) I see a herd of bucks. Hopefully once they spread out I’ll see some of the nicer ones more often.

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    I don't see how you guys can hunt in 90 degree weather. All the bugs around and don't mention the snakes. Around here finding the deer after the shot would be hard because of the 8 foot tall poison ivy.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I don't see how you guys can hunt in 90 degree weather. All the bugs around and don't mention the snakes. Around here finding the deer after the shot would be hard because of the 8 foot tall poison ivy.

Right now I am hunting over my back fence in to the woods or out my garage window. Maybe in a ground blind in my side yard. No way I’d be actively hitting the woods or climbing in to a stand. That said, starting to cool off again.

My woods are fairly open. Closest dense as F spot is about 200yds from where I am hunting on my neighbors property (I have permission to hunt and retrieve on it) That’s where my doe was headed when she dropped 70yds from it. Fortunately it’s only a 50x50yd dense cluster of trees, saplings and brush.

Got stuff back from the butcher. 30lbs from the doe...8 from the fawn. I am sure it’s a damn tasty 8lbs.

Don’t think I’ll be shooting any early season fawns again until I am processing my own. Maybe not then either. Most late season button bucks I’ve gotten in years past are usually closer to 20 (this fawn was a button buck, but had barely formed pedicles). A couple of months more growing makes a big difference for a fawn.

Archeryrob

Undecided on a great many things
    Mar 7, 2013
    Washington Co. - Fairplay
    I don't like whacking fawns because there is just not much on them and letting them get to a 1 1/2 years just seems appropriate to me, personally.

Funny thing about that. My daughter got a property to hunt behind a house and the lady wants them thinned. I was teasing my daughter, this morning, about killing a fawn and found a soft spot with it. I had her yelling this morning about how she's not going to do that!!!!!! My wife said "you know he's just poking you and pushing you." While I'm smiling and giggling. But I apparently pushed too far, ... and loved every minute of it. I even told her "You better rub your hands up and down your arms to rough them up. Your skins getting a bit thin." She stuck her tongue out at me a left for work. LOL

Striper69

Ultimate Member
    Jan 31, 2014
    Iowa
    As soon as the first freeze hits and the skeeters are dead I'll start hunting. I have a nice spot singled out for a compound bow kill. I hope to use the Ozonics and ambush a nice doe. I'll butcher it right there and leave the rest for the coyotes (they gotta eat too).

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    18yds from my ground blind. Broke the leg, smashed through both sets of ribs and tore apart the front lobe of one lung. Just missed the other one. I was aiming a bit too far forward, but I think the arrow hitting the leg caused it to deflect some as it exited forward about 4” from the hole in the near side and the doe was perfectly broadside on to me. Need to start aiming slightly further back.

Anyway, ran and crashed almost straight forward, down the hill, in to the woods and died a few yards from my creek. Broke my arrow in three and the arrow head is myselteriously missing. I found both ends and the middle of the arrow, but no arrow head. It wasn’t in the deer either. Arrow managed to rip through, but not quite enough momentum to pass all the way through. Twice in a row I’ve managed to break a leg and both sets of ribs. Though last one lodged under the hide, but it was also at 23yds and had to go through all of the heart muscle.

As much as I want a bow with more velocity, still pretty impressed with the bow, bolts and mechanical heads. Only 4 deer taken with this combo, but 5 arrows (2 neck shots on that early season fawn). The blades have not failed to deploy so far and they always seem to do a lot of damage. And can sure smash through a lot of bone.

bigger doe than the last one.

My younger son helped me track her (he loves to) even if it wasn’t hard to do. Also helped me field strip her (his first time).

Looks like I am done till early muzzleloader. I am working out a game plan to get one of the big bucks I’ve seen headed through my property every few weeks. I think they are mostly headed past down in the woods and that’s why I am not seeing them often.

Otherwise (other than a big buck) no more hunting on my property. Off to public lands.

Attachments

• 72E06F07-1D25-4100-8EAB-74CC0137A40C.jpg
      72E06F07-1D25-4100-8EAB-74CC0137A40C.jpg
      180 KB · Views: 512

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Congrats. That looks like good shot placement if you were gun hunting. An arrow should be about 4-5" back, but hey, they all aren't perfect shots, right?

I have yet to get out, but at least I have some cameras and corn out.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Congrats. That looks like good shot placement if you were gun hunting. An arrow should be about 4-5" back, but hey, they all aren't perfect shots, right?

I have yet to get out, but at least I have some cameras and corn out.

Yeah, a decent bullet probably would have plowed straight through and taken out one or both legs and the front of both lungs. But, did the job still and she didn’t go in to the creek. So happy days and I’ll try to remember for next time :rolleyes:

05dodgedaytona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 18, 2009
    Cecil County
    I got one tonight. Shot a small doe about 20 yards from me. Shen ran a few yards and dropped. Walked up to her and found she broke my bolt. Lost the Broadhead and my lighted nock. First deer of the season and my first deer with a crossbow.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I got one tonight. Shot a small doe about 20 yards from me. Shen ran a few yards and dropped. Walked up to her and found she broke my bolt. Lost the Broadhead and my lighted nock. First deer of the season and my first deer with a crossbow.

Congrats on the doe...but yeah, they seem to be A-holes on taking the arrow with them. I had good luck my first two bow kills. Now my last two have trashed something. One trashed the head. Last one lost the head, snapped the bolt. At least I found the lighted nock and it’s reusable condition.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I am doing my best to find it on DNR’s website and striking out. Remind me the buck and season stuff. For the split early muzzleloader season and archery, if you take a buck during the ML antlered portion October 17-19, even with a bow, it counts towards the ML buck. The next week you can legally take a buck, but only with a bow and it counts towards your archery limit, correct?

Next, everything else counts towards the season limits. So if I take a doe in the second half split, that counts towards my ML antlerless limit, not my archery limit?

Otherwise a bow harvest in ML or firearms season counts towards the ML or firearms limits, correct?

Just want to make sure I am remembering and reading everything correctly. Unlikely I will end up needing to worry about any of that considering the generous antlerless limits and unlikelihood I’ll get more than a buck or two at most between all seasons, but wanted to make sure I am reading and remembering things correctly.

Thanks.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    First Day of a 3 day hunt in TX for management deer. 9 point
    This is my biggest buck to date. 104 yards with Ruger 308. Hit exactly where I was aiming. Nonetheless, it only went 40 yards before it dropped.
    a93b48d9378a2060d2c9f545214be37c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

94hokie

Mar 29, 2015
    Severna Park, MD
    I am doing my best to find it on DNR’s website and striking out. Remind me the buck and season stuff. For the split early muzzleloader season and archery, if you take a buck during the ML antlered portion October 17-19, even with a bow, it counts towards the ML buck. The next week you can legally take a buck, but only with a bow and it counts towards your archery limit, correct?

Next, everything else counts towards the season limits. So if I take a doe in the second half split, that counts towards my ML antlerless limit, not my archery limit?

Otherwise a bow harvest in ML or firearms season counts towards the ML or firearms limits, correct?

Just want to make sure I am remembering and reading everything correctly. Unlikely I will end up needing to worry about any of that considering the generous antlerless limits and unlikelihood I’ll get more than a buck or two at most between all seasons, but wanted to make sure I am reading and remembering things correctly.

Thanks.

Correct

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom