• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Question about Antietam Creek.

I’m putting in on Saturday at Devils Backbone and was planning on floating to the take out at Burnside Bridge Road or the one on 34. Is there parking at either of those to leave a vehicle? I am driving there tomorrow after work to scout it out and can’t remember if you can park on the shoulder of 34 and I’ve never been to the take out just down from the bridge. I know there is a place just up the road on 34 that has a small parking lot with picnic tables and such.

There's space for a few cars just downstream of the little run-of-the-river dam that services the river gauge there. I've attached a photo from google street view for you below. Coordinates are: 39.448541, -77.727608 using google maps.

If you want an easy time of it, call Antietam Creek Canoe and have them set shuttle for you. It's like 25 or 30 bucks to have them do it and saves you a ton of driving and worry.

You CAN take out where 34 crosses over. There's limited parking, river left as you're going under the bridge. Alternatively, you can park at one of the pull-offs on 34 on river right (downstream side of the road up the hill a little from the barn) and then bring your car down to meet your boats if you don't mind a little bit of a walk.

sandeman

Jun 19, 2008
    Pasadena
    So, officially classification for whitewater rapids is determined by the ability to self rescue combined somewhat with the difficulty of maneuvering. A short class II on a river with a long still pool with no current below it rapidly becomes a class III when it is followed up immediately by another rapid that would impair your ability to self-rescue. Similarly, a Class III on the upper New River Gorge like "Surprise" is solidly a III because the pool below is slow and calm and the rapid can easily be skirted river left by simply avoiding the ledge. Throw Surprise into a steep sided narrow canyon and suddenly it's now a III+ pushing a IV due to the difficulty of rescue. Tack another rapid on to it less than 50 yards down stream and it's a straight IV.

It should also be noted that most whitewater boating organizations also agree to err on the side of caution for the novice paddler when giving ratings to rapids. Prevents them from getting on a reach that would be over their heads by calling a potential III a II*

As for a Class VI, that means "un-runnable in an open boat" Once a rapid has been shot successfully, it's no longer a VI, but a five-point-something with each decimal place being one order of magnitude higher than a V. Example, a 5.1 is the same degree of difficulty higher than a five as it is from a IV to a V.

Golf Course at certain water levels is definitely a 3 and there's not much room to maneuver outside of portaging if you look to skirt it at higher water levels. AW has always rated it a III/III- and I tend to take Charlie Wallbridge's opinion on these things as fairly close to gospel.

I grew up on the NRG and Cheat BTW. Lower NRG has V's on it when the water level is right. Shoot, it's got two certifiable Vs when flowing normally. Upper Gauley during dam release is straight IVs and Vs without much room to swim if you're out of the boat. Cheat Canyon is fun, but with much longer pools than the Gauley. One of my favorites I ever ran was the Savage during dam release. Nothing bigger than a IV, but it's just continuous whitewater the whole way down. No slack water at all with few eddies to hold up in. Just constant Class II-III whitewater with a couple of big, gnarly Class-IV drops.
    rember beer the Cheat River it is no joke.This was my favorite white water experience.Be Shure your raft mates are "bad ass".

SummitCnty

Ultimate Member
    Jan 26, 2013
    Frederick County
    There's space for a few cars just downstream of the little run-of-the-river dam that services the river gauge there. I've attached a photo from google street view for you below. Coordinates are: 39.448541, -77.727608 using google maps.

If you want an easy time of it, call Antietam Creek Canoe and have them set shuttle for you. It's like 25 or 30 bucks to have them do it and saves you a ton of driving and worry.

You CAN take out where 34 crosses over. There's limited parking, river left as you're going under the bridge. Alternatively, you can park at one of the pull-offs on 34 on river right (downstream side of the road up the hill a little from the barn) and then bring your car down to meet your boats if you don't mind a little bit of a walk.

Great! Thanks for the info. I will give the canoe people a call today.

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    rember beer the Cheat River it is no joke.This was my favorite white water experience.Be Shure your raft mates are "bad ass".
    Went with two buddies to run the Cheat. Three of us are sitting on a raft waiting and this scruffy looking dude walks up "Need a fourth?" We're all like yeah.....

Time comes to leave and dude shows back up, jumps up on the raft tube..."Hey, Y'all".... and launches into the welcome speech, instructions, etc. Turns out he's the lead guide....

We launch and he starts asking us if we know how to sweep, draw, forward, back, etc. and after practicing a couple of times to see how we follow commands he declares "we're going to have fun today!!".

We lead through the first rapid and he tells the three kayak guides "take them down to the next rapid , we'll catch up" He proceeds to eddy hop our way back up to the top and says "now we can go the fun way!!"

We ran every rapid, except the last one, twice. The last one we almost dumped, then eddied out to help recover the first three rafts through, all who dumped, and their swimmers....

One raft got a little ways down stream. Dudes like "who's the best swimmer?" Next thing I know we're both floating/swimming down to the raft and paddling back up. Not sure why we didn't float the people down to it, but he wanted to go get it. At that point it was pretty calm with a few rocks, it was a fairly easy swim/paddle (we collected two paddles in the swim). Now that I think about it, they had so many rafts, people, and gear, that needed to be reassembled, he probably didn't want to wait to get it.

Best trip ever........but, the bus ride back to the launch site was at least two levels higher than anything on the water!!!!

Finding the "Fur House" the check-in gal recommended for breakfast was another adventure.......but, I did enjoy looking at the Fire Engines when we found it!!!

Sent from my LG-G710 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DZ

Ultimate Member
    Oct 9, 2005
    Mount Airy, MD
    Question about Antietam Creek.

I’m putting in on Saturday at Devils Backbone and was planning on floating to the take out at Burnside Bridge Road or the one on 34. Is there parking at either of those to leave a vehicle? I am driving there tomorrow after work to scout it out and can’t remember if you can park on the shoulder of 34 and I’ve never been to the take out just down from the bridge. I know there is a place just up the road on 34 that has a small parking lot with picnic tables and such.

Looking at google maps street view and the below, looks like you are good to go.

39.465519, -77.724982

https://paddling.com/paddle/locations/shepherdstown-pike-bridge/

Last edited:

gtodave

MDS Supporter
    Aug 14, 2007
    Mt Airy
    Rivers are nice and low right now if your spot likes low water. I could walk across the Potomac on Saturday.

LimaVictor

Ultimate Member
    Mar 9, 2012
    Southern MD
    Up here in Charles Town, WV and did the flat water Shenandoah River trip with the family through River Riders.
    Great fun!
    Gonna do the whitewater tubing tomorrow. Didnt think I would like it this much because I am an ocean person, but what a blast and its beautiful out here.

marko

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 28, 2009
    Gonna do the whitewater tubing tomorrow. Didnt think I would like it this much because I am an ocean person, but what a blast and its beautiful out here.
    Enjoy yourself, i guess you will put in at Millville.
    It is a really beautiful part of America. The water level is not high, so it could be much more hairy in May.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Buddy of mine is out flying his drone over Bull Falls today. Guided for RR for years before getting a big-boy job that pays enough he can buy expensive toys like professional drones to fly over Bull Falls on a whim.

Good thing about Antietam Creek is that it's always at good flow despite what everything else around is doing. Monocacy is SUUUUUUPER low right now. I considered taking my 1976 Mohawk Whitewater out this weekend for a test-run of the repairs I did to it, but I didn't want to be dodging rocks so much.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom