• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Allen65

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 29, 2013
    Anne Arundel County
    Furbearer permit is just that. To “bear” or “possess” the carcass (possibly only the “fur”??) of any species designated as a “furbearer” you need to have a furbearer permit. Whether you shoot it, trap it, find it as roadkill, or it drops dead of old age in front of you, you cannot possess the animal unless you have a furbearer permit.

So you could legally shoot it with just a hunting license as long as you left the body in place as a warning to other coyotes, then? :D

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    So you could legally shoot it with just a hunting license as long as you left the body in place as a warning to other coyotes, then? :D
    That’s how I read the regulations. Leave the yotes for the other yotes, if you have no other plans for it other than a dirt nap. They gotta eat too, so do the foxes, etc.... or it could be bait for the next kills???

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    If I see one with rockets strapped to rollerskates or carrying a box with ACME written in big letters, I'll let you guys know.:D

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    We put out traps, and I obtained the permit in the event that my asshat neighbor let his dogs roam the neighborhood again. If they ended up in my trap, I would have called Animal Control and presented them with the permit.

We were successful in trapping foxes and possums. Details are in the "my wife is into chicks" thread. No joy on the raccoons.

Amusingly, the USDA officer I spoke to (MD DNR subs this function out to a federal agency ... go figure) was more that enthusiastic that I would be shooting the trapped critter. I told him that we were intent on terminating the animal, not relocating it. "So, you're going to shoot it?" Yeah, not answering that in the affirmative. I assured him that we would humanely put the fox or raccoon down, in an unspecified manner.

Spoke a bit about the 60-day expiry, considering that the fox and raccoon (and coyote) threat to my livestock is persistent. Weeelll, they just want people to be paying attention, and not considering it to be a "do whatever you want, whenever you want" permit. So it's a "do whatever you want for the next 60 days" permit. Got it.

At least they don't charge me a fee to protect my animals.

Thanks!

That’s kind of what I thought the permit was for. I probably need to get one this spring as I might be trapping rather than just shooting nuisance/predator animals trying to get my chickens. Been seeing a HUGE number of foxes recently. Must be all the chasing tail. Which means loads of them in a few months once the kitts but the ground.

I’ve been leaving the foxes that are just running by alone. Haven’t shot any at my new place, but would only shoot one that’s actively sniffing around or trying to burrow under my coop. Which likely just means they’ve poked and sniffed at it and figured it wasn’t worth the effort.

Yet.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Thanks!

That’s kind of what I thought the permit was for. I probably need to get one this spring as I might be trapping rather than just shooting nuisance/predator animals trying to get my chickens. Been seeing a HUGE number of foxes recently. Must be all the chasing tail. Which means loads of them in a few months once the kitts but the ground.

I’ve been leaving the foxes that are just running by alone. Haven’t shot any at my new place, but would only shoot one that’s actively sniffing around or trying to burrow under my coop. Which likely just means they’ve poked and sniffed at it and figured it wasn’t worth the effort.

Yet.

Yea... wait until you find 5 or 6 of your free ranging birds laying dead around your place at mid-afternoon. Then it will be a shoot-on-sight rule.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    Thanks!

Yet.

After this last attack i finally put up electric fence. It's one below the one rated for predators but it seems to be working. I got zapped by it a few times and if a fox takes that shock to the nose I don't think it's coming back.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Furbearer permit is just that. To “bear” or “possess” the carcass (possibly only the “fur”??) of any species designated as a “furbearer” you need to have a furbearer permit. Whether you shoot it, trap it, find it as roadkill, or it drops dead of old age in front of you, you cannot possess the animal unless you have a furbearer permit.

This is why I purchase the fur bearer permit every year as a matter of course. No point letting a good fur go to waste. The carcas gets returned to the field. Critters gotta eat.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Yea... wait until you find 5 or 6 of your free ranging birds laying dead around your place at mid-afternoon. Then it will be a shoot-on-sight rule.

Mostly I don’t see them long enough if I did adopt that to go get my 22 out of the safe and get back over. Not comfortable leaving it sitting out. Wife’s not comfortable with me carrying under normal circumstances (three times now I’ve walked around the back of my shed and found a fox sitting there eyeing the chickens and it ran off, but with enough time if I had something, decent chance I could have shot it.

I have shot a coon nosing around the coop and another one doing its best to pry open a bird feeder. Conveniently, but unnecessarily both during coon hunting season.

The coop has a fenced and covered run. A raccoon might be able to pry and wiggle it’s way through the opening that’s between the fence and the wire covering, but not terribly likely it would be strong enough. Don’t plan to let one try if I see one out there. Fox would need to dig 2 feet out from the fence to get under it as the fence hits the ground and then runs along it for 2 feet out before ending. Covered with gravel and some medium sized stones weighting it down.

I won’t consider it predator proof, but it’s at least highly resistant. If we completely free ranged the birds I’d insist on leaving my .410 or .22 by the door.

scout6

Sep 28, 2016
    Ceciltucky
    After this last attack i finally put up electric fence. It's one below the one rated for predators but it seems to be working. I got zapped by it a few times and if a fox takes that shock to the nose I don't think it's coming back.

Used to have one around our fence to keep the dogs from digging out and escaping. Our male learned about it the hard way.... poor guy.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    I saw one in our back field this afternoon around 4:30. He came walking down the hill to the wood line and sniffed around a bit before taking a trail into the woods. About 150 yds away from the barn where we were standing. First time I've seen them on the property.

hobiecat590

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2016
    I saw a large coyote in my Lusby backyard today. I think I first saw him last fall but thought it was a fox. This also might explain the fawn carcass seen in my backyard last year. 22 WSM should be the proper medicine w/o annoying the neighbors.

ezracer

Certified Gun Nut
    Jul 27, 2012
    Behind enemy lines...
    I found one under the hood of my car...and boy does it growl !!!!
    :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_0486.jpg
      IMG_0486.jpg
      93.7 KB · Views: 412

308Scout

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 27, 2020
    Washington County
    Trail cam caught this one over the weekend. It was chasing a red fox that was caught on camera seconds before this shot. We usually have a healthy fox population in my neck of the woods, but definitely haven't seen as many in the last few months.

Attachments

• coyote 6.19.20.jpg
      coyote 6.19.20.jpg
      81.5 KB · Views: 327

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I have had yotes yelping at 2am 3 times in the pas 2 weeks that seemed like they were at the edge of my property (4 acres with a creek down the hill). Last week it was so loud I could hear it inside the house and it woke me up.
    I have yet to see one there in the daylight. If I put a cage up, I'll likely have foxes in there which I want to leave alone. Rabbits frequent the front yard area and don't want the population growing or my little dogs will chase them or worse, pick up worms from them.

Mark75H

MD Wear&Carry Instructor
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 25, 2011
    Outside the Gates
    'yotes will cure your rabbit and little dog problem.

My neighborhood used to support a ton of small and large game. Now only the squirels smart enough to stay up high and a pair of foxes.

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Thread bump with crappy phone pic.
    I was mowing yesterday evening when this odd looking fox walks out between the pasture and cornfield. By the time my brain processes long legs, gray coat he turned back into the corn. I move to the shade where he was, texting my wife when he comes out again. We had just traded places and he was still wanting to get to the woods but turned again when he saw me. There might of been 30 yards between us.

Attachments

• 20220722_191713.jpg
      20220722_191713.jpg
      317 KB · Views: 82

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thread bump with crappy phone pic.
    I was mowing yesterday evening when this odd looking fox walks out between the pasture and cornfield. By the time my brain processes long legs, gray coat he turned back into the corn. I move to the shade where he was, texting my wife when he comes out again. We had just traded places and he was still wanting to get to the woods but turned again when he saw me. There might of been 30 yards between us.
    I know a guy in Indiana who can make the shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom