• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    So in the maybe 500 rounds I've run through my 10/22 on two trips I've had maybe 3 stovepipes and at least a dozen failure to ejects which have typically lead to a double feed situation. This is over a dozen types of ammo. Some I haven't shot enough of it to see if it is ammo specific.

Any advice on how to improve it? It isn't any worse than my mossberg plinkster was that was mostly feed a crap ammo diet and I've been feeding the 10/22 most of my crappier ammo to "get rid of it" as well as some nicer stuff to test accuracy.

Standard velocity ammo seems to give me a slightly greater problem than high velocity ammo.

Only modifications are a volquartsen auto bolt release and changed the buffer pin for a poly wrapped steel pin. Maybe the later could be impacting it by absorbing too much recoil energy or something? I guess I could do a range session by swapping back in the steel pin and see what happens.

I am using some moderate amounts of Rem oil for lube. Should I switch that up?

Lastly upgraded extractor? Volquartsen claw or power custom Ti extractor?

I realize a semi auto rimfire is pretty unlikely to ever be 100% reliable, but I'd like to shoot for better than 99% and I suspect it is hovering around 98% right now (3-5 misfires as well, but I blame that solely on ammo as none were light rim strikes).

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Take a look at the extractor. Even one that is moderately rounded will cause extraction and ejection problems. Tandemkross makes a titanium extractor that fixed my problem.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Rem Oil is not a great lubricant.

Many on MDS use Mobil 1 as a lube.

Lucca1

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 9, 2013
    Behind Enemy Lines
    I prefer Ballistol for cleaning and lubing my 10/22. The only time that I have FTE's (still have the factory extractor) is when it needs a good cleaning. What brand of ammo or you using?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    My go to ammo is cci mini mags. If it won't function with that
    Its time to do a pull down and check gun parts.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Based on what shoots the best I am standardizing on 36gr CPHP minimags, Aguila Target, Velocitors and Automatch. But I've also been shooting Aguila SE, Winchester 36gr CPHP (tons of problems with that in two different 22lr rifles, high rate of duds about 5%), CCI SV, federal 38gr CPHP, 40gr CPRN, Remington golden bullets and Armscor 36gr CPHP.

The only ones with extreme issues have been the Winchester, but the golden bullets out of 200 had a few FTEs and one failure to fire. The winchesters and 50rnds I had at least 2 duds and 3 FTEs. I had 2-4 FTEs between all of the other types listed above and there may have been one stove pipe and a failure to fire.

The automatch I've shot maybe 150rnds and the rest have been 10-50rnds just to test it out.

The Aguila targets have been the most accurate at <1.5" 10rnd group at 50yds, minimags just a little over 1.5" at 50yds with one flier at about 2" which might have been me, velocitors at 2" and automatch about 2.5". The only ones much worse than the automatch were the Winchester at 3" and Browning hyper velocity at 4" (I ran 70rnds of that through with one FTE and one double load, forgot to mention them earlier).

Aguilas and CCI all ran perfectly, but I only shot 10rnds of velocitors, 30 of minimags and 10rnds each of Aguila target and SE. Not enough for anything definitive other than basic accuracy.

Parshooter

Silent Majority Member
    Mar 20, 2013
    East NC
    I rounded slightly and polished the bolt where it makes contact with the hammer on cocking. I also had overspray inside the receiver (not a blued model) that had to be removed, then a little 400 grit to smooth the finish in the receiver and the bolt snaps back and forth. The padded stop is a requirement now to keep the bolt noise down. Seems to eat everything I feed it. Clean with Ballistol, lube with Mobil 1:thumbsup:

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Only modifications are a volquartsen auto bolt release and changed the buffer pin for a poly wrapped steel pin. Maybe the later could be impacting it by absorbing too much recoil energy or something?

Hmm - did the problem start occurring immediately after the buffer pin mod? I have a 10/22 that is a 2006 manufacture and it has been solid.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    And as far as lube goes I have been a minimalist (I know, I should do better). Does not seem to effect reliability. Hell my 10/22 shoots ammo other guys gave me because their 10/22 would not take it!!

Mdeng

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Nov 13, 2009
    Virginia
    Modify a gun then have issues? What,????

The mods he has done are very common and pose no reliability issues. I personally have done the same modifications with no issue.

For the OP check the extractor and the bolt face for crud. I often find a build up around the rim of the bolt face and under the extractor claw. A dental pick comes in handy to help clear the crud.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    The mods he has done are very common and pose no reliability issues. I personally have done the same modifications with no issue.

For the OP check the extractor and the bolt face for crud. I often find a build up around the rim of the bolt face and under the extractor claw. A dental pick comes in handy to help clear the crud.

Thanks, I'll check them out. Since it was $10 shipped o ordered a super power Ti extractor and when I install it I'll make sure to clean the bolt face and around the extractor really well and reassemble with a few drops of 5w20 mobile 1 (what I have) rubbed over the bolt.

As for when it started, I swapped the buffer pin and bolt release before ever firing it.

W2D

Ultimate Member
    Dec 2, 2015
    Escaped MD for FL
    May I suggest that if the bolt face is really dirty, clean and oil it and then run some ammo through it to see if that really was the problem. If there is still FTE, change the extractor. Thanks.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    May I suggest that if the bolt face is really dirty, clean and oil it and then run some ammo through it to see if that really was the problem. If there is still FTE, change the extractor. Thanks.

Good suggestion, thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    loops12

Latest threads

Top Bottom