• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    So I know it is possible to have an SBR (for example) with a 5.56 11.5" barrel and a 300 Black 10.5" barrel. Can I also have a 16" barrel? That is, am I allowed to run an SBR in a non SBR configuration, if I register it with ATF as a possible configuration?

Last edited:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    A 300 AAC SBR with a 9" bbl? Are you in Md?

Anyway, yes you can put a non SBR upper on an SBR. At that point, it no longer is an SBR. No harm, no foul. If you ever choose to 'decommission' your SBR permanently, the ATF would want to know.

calicojack

American Sporting Rifle
    MDS Supporter
    May 29, 2018
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    A 300 AAC SBR with a 9" bbl? Are you in Md?

Anyway, yes you can put a non SBR upper on an SBR. At that point, it no longer is an SBR. No harm, no foul. If you ever choose to 'decommission' your SBR permanently, the ATF would want to know.

ok thanks. No that was an example. All of my SBR's are >29" OLA :)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    The general advice is, as long as you have the parts to return it to the stamped configuration, you can have it any configuration that is not shorter (barrel length of COAL) what was approved.

And yes, many people pop a 16" upper to take their SBR out of state without doing a Form 20.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    As others have said, you can swap uppers, provided it can return to the original configuration. If you "convert" it to a non-NFA rifle (16"+ barrel) it is not subject to SBR restrictions, and can be returned to it's SBR configuration later. It can NEVER be a pistol, so put a brace on it, still an SBR. You can send the ATF a letter to amend your F1/F4 with ADDITIONAL configurations, include a copy of your stamped form, and a letter listing additional caliber, OAL, etc. As I understand it there is some grey area and confusion with the advice to use the shortest barrel length, and if you are required to notify the ATF if you temporarily swap uppers.

It is definitely REQUIRED to NOTIFY the ATF if the SBR changes configuration permanently, but there isn't much guidance for temporary changes, some send a letter, some don't. THere is nothing requiring permission or a reply, so at least keep a copy of what you sent. some include a 2nd copy and return envelope for the ATF to reply anyway. Not sure where the idea that temporary swaps with shorter barrels/OAL were prohibited came from, but outside of a few people repeating it, haven't seen anything definitive. similarly little guidance if they need to be notified at all for temporary swaps, or what is considered "temporary", if the original upper needs to be with you, or can be left at home exc. Personally I just list a single config on my F4, then soon as it comes back with the stamp, send a letter of all my "amended" configs, keep the F1 and amendment letter together, and swap to whatever I want.

https://www.atf.gov/qa-category/national-firearms-act-nfa
    "There is no also no requirement for the registrant or possessor of a NFA firearm to notify ATF of the removal of features that caused the firearm to be subject to the NFA; however, ATF recommends the owner notify the NFA Branch in writing if a firearm is permanently removed from the NFA."

"....ATF recommends written notification to the NFA Branch when a firearm’s configuration is permanently changed or removed from the purview of the NFA."

"There is no requirement for the possessor of a registered NFA firearm to notify ATF that the firearm has been removed from the purview of the NFA. However, ATF recommends the possessor notify the NFA Branch of such changes in writing so that the possessor is not mistakenly identified as the owner if the firearm is later used in a crime. If, at the time of transfer, the firearm does not meet the definition of a SBR, it should be transferred without filing the NFA transfer application and without payment of the transfer tax."

"The registrant shall notify the NFA Division, Borough of alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives 244 Needy road Martinsburg, WV 25405, in writing of any changes to the desription of the firearm in item 4, or any change to the address of the registrant."

IMBLITZVT

Ultimate Member
    Apr 20, 2009
    Catonsville, MD
    This is maybe the most blown up issue in the whole of the NFA. MGs and DDs have barrel length info on them and no one bothers to worry about it. We change uppers and barrels all the time.

Sure follow the law and update if there is a permanent change but don't feel lik the ATF is waiting to knock down your door on this issue.

I have never seen a penalty for the SBR or any NFA item not having a barrel length that matches the paperwork. The important part is that its registered. Barrel length USE to be helpful in IDing the correct gun but rarely is anymore. The important part is that the ATF can tell that your SBR is the one on the paper.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom