• ...and so much more!
  • Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    In this issue:

1. Bill Summaries and Hearing Dates
    2. HB683 - Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement - Action Required
    3. SB842 - Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Another State to Current or Former Member of the Armed Forces - Reciprocity
    4. Activist's Tools
    5. March 11th - The Main Event
    6. Workers needed for the MSI Table at Silverado Gun Show Feb 20-21
    7. MSI Cited Regarding Gun Owner Licensing Bills
    8. MSI will be on the radio this Saturday, February 20

1. Bill Summaries and Hearing Dates

Already Heard:
    HB52 Recognition of Out of State Permits - Strongly Support
    HB 119 Department of State Police - Firearm Applications - Authority of Secretary - Support as Re-Written
    HB157 Criminal Law - Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony - Oppose
    HB309 Criminal Law – Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony - Oppose

February 16
    HB358 Criminal Law – Violation of Restriction Against Possession of Firearms – Penalties - No position at this time

February 17
    SB22 Criminal Law - Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Exceptions - Support - our analysis was covered here.

March 2
    HB776 Criminal Law - Home Invasion Crime of Violence - Support

March 11
    HB354 Public Safety - Possession of Ammunition for Firearms - Penalties - Oppose - backdoor justification for the ammunition logs from HB1446 last year.
    HB683 Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement - Strongly Support - Repeals the "good and substantial" clause for the issuance of permits to carry a handgun.
    HB820 Firearm Safety Act of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - We covered our analysis of this bill here.
    HB893 Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Victims of Domestic Violence - Support
    HB905 Criminal Law - Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms - Exceptions - Support

SB44 Criminal Law - Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony - Oppose
    SB167 Regulated Firearms - Application for Dealer's License - Record-Keeping and Reporting Requirements - Strongly Oppose - our response was covered here.
    SB191 Weapon-Free Higher Education Zones - Oppose - our response was covered here.
    SB274 Criminal Law - Violation of Restriction Against Possession of Firearms - Penalties - No position at this time
    SB516 Maryland Assault Weapons Ban of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - Our response was covered here.
    SB563 Public Safety - Possession of Ammunition for Firearms - Penalties - Oppose - backdoor justification for the ammunition logs from HB1446 last year.
    SB645 Firearm Safety Act of 2010 - Strongly Oppose - We covered our analysis of this bill here.
    SB743 Criminal Law - Handguns - Transport in Motor Vehicle by Nonresident - No position at this time
    SB842 Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Another State to Current or Former Member of the Armed Forces - Reciprocity - Support

2. HB683 - Public Safety - Handgun Permits - Repeal of Finding Requirement - Action Required
    We told you about HB683, introduced by Delegate Riley in the February 7th Update. If you have not already done so, it is time to use the Activist's Tools to write to the House Judiciary Committee to ask for a favorable report on HB683. Just a reminder that these members of the committee voted against this legislation last year. It is important that as many people from those districts contact the members of the committee. The phone numbers for the committee can be found here.

3. SB842 - Regulated Firearms - License Issued by Another State to Current or Former Member of the Armed Forces - Reciprocity
    We have to admit that we are conflicted in our support of this bill. On one hand, we believe that any increase in the number of law-abiding citizens who can exercise the right to protect themselves in Maryland is a good thing. However, we cannot fully support a bill which discriminates against any group of citizens who should otherwise be allowed to carry a firearm for self defense. While we recognize the sacrifice made by active military and veterans and believe they have truly earned their rights as American citizens, we also believe that our rights enumerated in the 2nd Amendment are ours by birthright. We have, however, endorsed the baby-steps strategy of working towards the day when ultimately all Maryland citizens will be able to exercise this fundamental right in the past, so we will lend our support to this bill.

4. Activist's Tools

HOUSE OF DELEGATES TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU:
    Quick email tool
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the House Judiciary Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

SENATE TOOLS TO ASSIST YOU:
    Quick email tool
    Find your delegate
    Pre-formatted mailing labels for the Senate Judicial Proceedings Committee
    How to create mail merge letters using pre-formatted labels

5. March 11th - The Main Event
    As you've no doubt noticed, Thursday March 11 is the main event for our community for the 2010 General Assembly Session. On the surface, this is very convenient for those who wish to come but may only be able to get one day of leave from their work. However, the problem is that both the House and Senate hearings are scheduled for the exact same time, thus splitting our resources. This is a tactic that they've used in the past and we're not surprised that they chose to return to it as it demonstrates their desperation at trying to ram through some of their pet bills.

We are going to need a full turn out of everyone for this day of hearings, which will no doubt be long. If you value your rights and wish to have your presence felt, this is the day to be there. Even if you don't choose to testify, just showing up lets the committee members know where we stand on these bills. With the hearings being held simultaneously in two different buildings, we need you there.

As we get closer to the date, we will provide you with information on how to get there, where to park, etc.

6. Workers needed for the MSI Table at Silverado Gun Show Feb 20-21
    We will once again be working our table at the Silverado Gun Show in Upper Marlboro February 20 and 21. Times for the 20th are 9am - 5pm and for the 21st are 9am-3pm. If you can come out and spend the day working to advance our message, please send us a message at info@marylandshallissue.org and we'll get right back to you.

7. MSI Cited Regarding Gun Owner Licensing Bills
    Maryland Shall Issue was cited by The Maryland Reporter with regards to the so-called Firearms Safety Act of 2010 bills.

Maryland Shall Issue will be a guest on the Allan Ellis's The Outdoorsman Radio Show on WCBM, AM680, this Saturday, February 20 from 5-7am. We will be discussing the General Assembly, the pending legislation, as well as Maryland's gun laws in general. You can listen live at WCBM.COM or catch the podcast later on

Maryland Shall Issue.org
    P.O. Box 314
    Libertytown, MD
    21762-0314
    ph. 240-446-6782

Mission Statement
    "Maryland Shall Issue is an all volunteer, non-partisan effort dedicated to the preservation and advancement of all gunowners' rights in Maryland, with a primary goal of CCW reform to allow all law-abiding citizens the right to carry a concealed weapon; and to the education of the community to the awareness that 'shall issue' laws have, in all cases, resulted in decreased rates of violent crime."​

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    I swear this session has been like trying to get a drink from a fire hose.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I swear this session has been like trying to get a drink from a fire hose.

There were years in the past where there we 70 bills to work on. :sad20:

Lindsay's Dad

Oct 21, 2008
    Monrovia
    Being prior Service US Army. I like SB842.

I'll take it, if thats the only way I get to in this State.

sent e-mails to SJPC voicing support.

LD

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    Now that the report of the AWB being removed is coming out, it becomes more important that we not only kill the licensing bills but also all of the other anti gun bills.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I've just begun learning about these issues, and emailed politicians (spit) for the first time just recently over these issues. I've put all my efforts in HB52. If we can get just that one approved, it will be a backdoor way to let most MD residents (that qualify) to be able to CCW in Maryland, which is a HUGE win. If successful, we will get many many more people involved and learning about these issues, and I expect that will have significant positive repercussions over these other issues.

Ultimate Member
    Now that the report of the AWB being removed is coming out, it becomes more important that we not only kill the licensing bills but also all of the other anti gun bills.

I don't know if it has been mentioned before but I want to try and get the word out i.e. go main stream. First of all the local news occasionally will cover gun stuff and that is good.

However, we have 630 WMAL and 680 WCBM. Two great AM radio stations. There are several hosts that like the Constitution and hate out of control government.

So can get get MSI on Tom Marr or some other show? They could help us defeat the anti bills and put us over the top for CCW licensing.

Has anyone tried to contact them? This MSI/MDshooters.com seems like a growing grass roosts movement in Maryland.

st_329_splash.jpg

WCBMlogo.jpg

Oh and those same smelly democrats who want our gun rights are defending child molesters with pro-NAMBLA legislation. So let's link them or play some new angles if we go main stream.

here is a headline Sen. Frosh wants to ban guns in Maryland, while supporting child molesters.

Norton

Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    However, we have 630 WMAL and 680 WCBM. Two great AM radio stations. There are several hosts that like the Constitution and hate out of control government.

So can get get MSI on Tom Marr or some other show? They could help us defeat the anti bills and put us over the top for CCW licensing.

:innocent0 Not exactly drive time, but it's a start.

Maryland Shall Issue will be a guest on the Allan Ellis's The Outdoorsman Radio Show on WCBM, AM680, this Saturday, February 20 from 5-7am. We will be discussing the General Assembly, the pending legislation, as well as Maryland's gun laws in general. You can listen live at WCBM.COM or catch the podcast later on

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I mentioned HB52 to some folks at work that live outside MD, and they seemed genuinely interested and hopeful this passes so they can carry here. I'll keep discussing as appropriate to encourage them to at least email a 'please support' to our legislature.

hydroplane

Feb 10, 2010
    Urbana, Maryland
    Being prior Service US Army. I like SB842.

I'll take it, if thats the only way I get to in this State.

sent e-mails to SJPC voicing support.

LD

I am a veteran myself, and at first got excited. However, I read this bill to mean that reciprocity would allow for the state residents of DE, VA, and PA "IF" that person is currently or formerly a member of the armed services. This is not inclusive to State of Maryland residents. :sad20:

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I am a veteran myself, and at first got excited. However, I read this bill to mean that reciprocity would allow for the state residents of DE, VA, and PA "IF" that person is currently or formerly a member of the armed services. This is not inclusive to State of Maryland residents. :sad20:

I read it as stating an Individual, I don't see anything about residency requirements. Maybe I missed something.

117.1. 2
    A
    LICENSE ISSUED BY ANOTHER STATE TO AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS A
    [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]3 [/FONT][/FONT]CURRENT OR FORMER MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]4 [/FONT][/FONT]STATES TO CARRY A REGULATED FIREARM, INCLUDING A CONCEALED [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]5 [/FONT][/FONT]REGULATED FIREARM, IS VALID IN THIS STATE.

hydroplane

Feb 10, 2010
    Urbana, Maryland
    I read it as stating an Individual, I don't see anything about residency requirements. Maybe I missed something.

117.1. 2
    A
    LICENSE ISSUED BY ANOTHER STATE TO AN INDIVIDUAL WHO IS A
    [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]3 [/FONT][/FONT]CURRENT OR FORMER MEMBER OF THE ARMED FORCES OF THE UNITED [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]4 [/FONT][/FONT]STATES TO CARRY A REGULATED FIREARM, INCLUDING A CONCEALED [FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook][FONT=Century Schoolbook,Century Schoolbook]5 [/FONT][/FONT]REGULATED FIREARM, IS VALID IN THIS STATE.

If this were inclusive of Maryland residents that are current or former military the word "AND" would be included. Reviewing the synopsis below - "the license issued (a CCW license issued in another state) to an individual who is a current or former military member..."

Synopsis:

Specifying that a license issued by another state to an individual who is a current or former member of the armed forces of the United States to carry a regulated firearm, including a concealed regulated firearm, is valid in Maryland.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    If this were inclusive of Maryland residents that are current or former military the word "AND" would be included. Reviewing the synopsis below - "the license issued (a CCW license issued in another state) to an individual who is a current or former military member..."

Synopsis:

Specifying that a license issued by another state to an individual who is a current or former member of the armed forces of the United States to carry a regulated firearm, including a concealed regulated firearm, is valid in Maryland.

I don't understand how you see the word and being used changing the residency requirement in the wording of this bill.

hydroplane

Feb 10, 2010
    Urbana, Maryland
    I don't understand how you see the word and being used changing the residency requirement in the wording of this bill.

Sorry, I should have phrased this better...

IF a CCW was to be permitted to current and former members of the military for residents of Maryland the synopsis would then read...

Specifying that a license issued by another state [AND] to an individual who is a current or former member of the armed forces of the United States to carry a regulated firearm, including a concealed regulated firearm, is valid in Maryland.

Notice how the meaning changes with the word AND placed where I have it in red.

OR maybe I am misunderstanding you...are you stating that Maryland residents will be allowed to obtain a CCW if they are a current or former member of the military?

I am not sure about residency requirement per se; you can establish residency in PA, obtain the CCW in PA and "live" in Maryland; in this matter of speaking you would be able to obtain the CCW in Maryland.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    Sorry, I should have phrased this better...

IF CCW was being permitted going to permitted to current and former members of the military were allowed to carry in Maryland the synopsis would then read...

Specifying that a license issued by another state [AND] to an individual who is a current or former member of the armed forces of the United States to carry a regulated firearm, including a concealed regulated firearm, is valid in Maryland.

Notice how the meaning changes with the word AND placed where I have it in red.

But when I put myself in this synopsis, I have a license from another state and I am former military, wouldn't this mean that I'm covered if this were to pass?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom