• Jim Sr

R.I.P.
    Jun 18, 2005
    Annapolis MD
    REGULAR SESSION subject information current as of 01/20/2009

Guns -- Total Number of Bills: 6 | Weapons -- Guns

House Bll 3 \ Body Armor
    Business Regulation – Employees Who Carry Firearms – Protective Body Armor

FOR the purpose of requiring an employer to provide protective body armor to an employee who is required to carry a firearm loaded with live rounds; defining certain terms; and generally relating to protective body armor for employees.

HOUSE BILL 52 \ Reciprocity
    Regulated Firearms – License Issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Virginia – Reciprocity

FOR the purpose of specifying that a license issued by Delaware, Pennsylvania, or Virginia to an individual to carry a regulated firearm, including a concealed regulated firearm, is valid in Maryland; and generally relating to regulated firearms.

HOUSE BILL 119

Entitled:
    Department of State Police - Firearm Applications - Authority of Secretary

Bill Text (Displayed in PDF Format): Not available at this time ( January 16, 2010 )

Hearing: JANUARY 26 1:00 p.m.

SENATE BILL 22 \ Transporting Firearms
    Criminal Law – Prohibitions on Wearing, Carrying, or Transporting Firearms – Exceptions

SENATE BILL 44 \ Violence or a Felony
    Criminal Law – Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony

“FIREARM” INCLUDES AN ANTIQUE FIREARM, HANDGUN, RIFLE, SHOTGUN, SHORT–BARRELED RIFLE, SHORT–BARRELED SHOTGUN, STARTER GUN, OR ANY OTHER FIREARM, WHETHER LOADED OR UNLOADED.

HOUSE JOINT RESOLUTION 2

Entitled:
    Maryland Sovereignty Under the Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States

FOR the purpose of demanding that the federal government halt its practice of assuming powers and imposing mandates on the states of the United States for purposes not enumerated under the Constitution of the United States.

WHEREAS, The Tenth Amendment to the Constitution of the United States reads as follows: “The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people” . . .

SB 125

Entitled Criminal Procedure - Strip Search or Body Cavity Search of an Arrestee - Restrictions

Synopsis:
    Prohibiting a police officer from conducting or supervising a strip search or body cavity search of a person arrested for a misdemeanor or traffic offense under specified circumstances, or of a minor detained for an act that would be a misdemeanor if committed by an adult or for a specified traffic offense under specified circumstances; providing for specified exceptions under the Act; authorizing strip searches and body cavity searches only if specified conditions are met; etc.

Hearing: FEBRUARY 2 1:00 p.m.

HB 157 {SB 44}
    Entitled Criminal Law - Use of Firearm in the Commission of a Crime of Violence or a Felony

SENATE BILL 167
    Entitled: Regulated Firearms - Application for Dealer's License - Record-Keeping and Reporting Requirements

Synopsis:
    Requiring the Secretary of State Police or the Secretary's designee to disapprove an application for a State-regulated firearms dealer's license if the Secretary or designee determines that the applicant intends a specified person to participate or hold a specified interest in the management or operation of the business for which the license is sought; requiring licensed dealers to keep records of specified information; etc.

Sponsored by: Senator Brian E. Frosh, District 16 . . .

SENATE BILL 191
    Entitled: Weapon-Free Higher Education Zones

Synopsis:
    Prohibiting the carrying or possession of firearms, knives, and deadly weapons on the property of public institutions of higher education; providing for exceptions to this prohibition for law enforcement officers, a person hired for the purpose of guarding the institution's property, a person engaged in shooting activity for educational purposes, and a person who has a written invitation from the president of the institution to engage in a historical demonstration; etc.

Sponsored by: Senator Brian E. Frosh, District 16 . . .
    :innocent0

Last edited:

joppaj

Sheepdog
    Staff member
    Apr 11, 2008
    MD
    Jim, if the mods make this a sticky can you just keep this one thread updated with the new bills as they come up?

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    I like 52 too, but I wonder if they will do the "resident only" thing.

House Bill 3 seems ok.

I don't understand the point of 22.

44 is interesting. Not sure I like the definition of "firearm" but I do like harsh penalties for gun violence.

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005
    I don't understand the point of 22.

Because, on two separate occasions that I'm aware of, men who had been served as a respondent in a protective order and were told to surrender their firearms were on their way to the police station to comply, were stopped for some reason and then charged with illegally transporting a handgun. How's that for a double kick in the nuts?

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The 2009 MLIS info is on the home page. I'd suggest either updating that link with the 2010, or keeping both there...along with a sticky in perhaps the MD 2A section...

Just my .02...

Mark C.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    While HB3 makes you "feel good", I bet a lot of security guards are going to be stripped of their firearms until they can afford to buy their own ballistic vests, or get an overpriced one from their employer with installments taken out of their check.

HB52, Smigiel is the man, not sure if there is a residency requirement, but it would be cool it it served as a way for MDers to get a VA permit, and carry. opefully if it passes It would probably force their hand and make MD permits shall issue.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    I got a bad feeling about HB 52. If I were on the other side of the fence I would point out that it is a sleazy backdoor tactic so Marylanders can get a CCW by applying for an out of state CCW. It puts the cart before the horse. It will make those associated with this bill look sleazy.

I think it's better to deal with the CCW issue head on and make sure our elected officials know that Marylanders are tired of the unfair treatment and selection process of who can get a CCW.

I'm also surprised that nothing is being done to repeal about 5 or 6 other laws that are not needed as they have been overcome by events and put undue hardship on dealers, cause loss of tax dollars to the state, and infringe on our 2nd amendment rights.

andimorony

Ultimate Member
    Dec 29, 2009
    SB 52

Evenin' all!

I am Delegate Smigiel's Chief of Staff. I will do my best to answer any questions you have about SB 52 but naturally the best source is the Delegate himself.

The intent of the bill is to allow those who are issued CCW's in the surrounding states to have reciprocity in Maryland. Most states honor other out of state CCW's and it is high time, Maryland did too.

If you think this bill is a good idea and would like to testify or submit testimony, please feel free to contact me directly (andimorony@gmail.com) or at the district office 410-398-4606. (Email is better if you want to reach me directly.) There are other ways to support this bill so if you want to pitch in, let me know.

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    I'm a PA resident, and would love to see SB 52 come to fruition. :D

Thanks for your input andimorony, and welcome to MDShooters!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    Please thank the delegate for his work in this matter, and welcome aboard!

Anyway at all to support this effort, you can count on members here.

Bigdtc

Ultimate Member
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 6, 2007
    South Carolina
    Welcome andimorony.
    How would this bill affect a Md resident with an out of state non resident CCW? Many members here are residents of Md with Va. CCW. Thanks

smores

Creepy-Ass Cracker
    Feb 27, 2007
    Falls Church
    Welcome andimorony.
    How would this bill affect a Md resident with an out of state non resident CCW? Many members here are residents of Md with Va. CCW. Thanks

I know the question was not directed at me, but this is what the bill says:

A LICENSE ISSUED BY DELAWARE, PENNSYLVANIA, OR VIRGINIA TO AN INDIVIDUAL TO CARRY A REGULATED FIREARM, INCLUDING A CONCEALED REGULATED FIREARM, IS VALID IN THIS STATE.

As I read it, you would not need to be a resident - just simply have a permit issued by any of those states.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    The House of Delegates has at least been responsive towards responsible legislation. I truly don't belive MD is a lost cause in many responsible legislative efforts towards responsible gun owner rights. Brian Frosh on the other hand...

The bill as written is appropriate. The obvious follow-up is the inclusion of 'Self Defense' as reason for a CCW so long as we remain "May Issue". The more perfect and appropriate answer is "Shall Issue" for the state of Maryland. It is time to forego the stigma with such an approach and get on board with the VAST majority of the states which have gone Shall Issue without any repurcussions. It's simply the time.

Tis' better to do it now than have it forced upon you by the courts. There is a tide rolling in that is going to be hard to stop...

Mark C.

mike_in_md

Ultimate Member
    Feb 13, 2008
    Howard County
    Evenin' all!

I am Delegate Smigiel's Chief of Staff. I will do my best to answer any questions you have about SB 52 but naturally the best source is the Delegate himself.

The intent of the bill is to allow those who are issued CCW's in the surrounding states to have reciprocity in Maryland. Most states honor other out of state CCW's and it is high time, Maryland did too.

If you think this bill is a good idea and would like to testify or submit testimony, please feel free to contact me directly (andimorony@gmail.com) or at the district office 410-398-4606. (Email is better if you want to reach me directly.) There are other ways to support this bill so if you want to pitch in, let me know.

Welcome aboard.

Will a Maryland resident that has a non resident CCW from Delaware, Virgina, or Penn, and also doesn't have a Maryland CCW, be able to use their non resident CCW to carry in Maryland? If not, why should Maryland trust people from other states when they don't trust their own. If so, why not deal with the MD Shall Issue head on and make this state some money in the process. I'm thinking this bill will fail and when Maryland finally gets Shall Issue your opponents will remember this bill about reciprocity when you try reciprocity bills in the future and think that there is a hidden message like this bill.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom