• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nanook

F-notso-NG-anymore
    The people posting about no fee or permits should not be required will do us more harm than good.

If this was pointed at me, please note that I recommended the fee drop to $100.

If they don't have a idea to limit the costs, I am reasonably sure that by the time the paperwork fee, the background check fee, the administrator fee, the training course fee, the training documentation fee, the hiring of a statewide training manager and county assistant fees, etc will drive the total cost through the roof. The odds of hard-core anti-gun legislators allowing this to go through without extracting every penny they can....well, do the math.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I have no problem with a permit process. Can you imagine if MD became a State like VT or AK? Open carry...Baltimore would be a nightmare until the not-so-law-abidng citizens killed themselves off. A fee and background check that only serves to show you are not one of the folks who should not carry a gun is acceptable to me.

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    Fees for this and fees for that – this isn’t supposed to be a cash-cow for a bunch of politicians to waste on silly projects. It’s about the fundamental right of self defense.

According to the MSP there are around 12,000 active permits. Take away the business ones and then you have roughly 200 permits issued for true ’self defense’. When looking at Maryland at large, the criminal element has a 99.999937% chance of assaulting/robbing/mugging/raping/killing/carjacking an unarmed individual. Not even Dove soap is that pure and good. The funny (actually very, very sad) thing is people don’t understand why we have so many repeat criminals.

I recommend that the permit process be taken away from the state police. Virginia’s program is administered through the court system and works wonderfully. Let’s let our hard working cops get back to their real jobs.

I propose that:
    -the fee be reduced to $100 with five or seven years before a renewal is due.
    -the training requirement should be basic so the system is not overloaded. It’s not about the formal or required training, states that have no training requirement have no more issues than rigid ones – it’s about the gun owners who understand that they have to KNOW what to do and how to do it and take responsibility to do so.
    -at least one day during each school year every child be made aware that guns are not toys. A school assembly with basic facts, e.g. if you point a gun at your friend and pull the trigger, they get dead and stay that way. Maybe some of our kinder and gentler people could work on that message…

Thank you for pretending to listen to your constituents.

Saying what I say every day to folks I meet - :D

I agree with this. I know some of you will do pretty much anything to get the permits. But please, dont let yourselfs be violated (huge fee) to get something. Remember, 500 for you might be nothing, but alot of hard working people can't drop 500 or 250 a year on a piece of plastic. Granted i understand that you can't put a price on life. But let's be more realistic. It would have to be price similar to the other states.

:thumbsup: for the good comments on the page.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I have no problem with a permit process. Can you imagine if MD became a State like VT or AK? Open carry...Baltimore would be a nightmare until the not-so-law-abidng citizens killed themselves off. A fee and background check that only serves to show you are not one of the folks who should not carry a gun is acceptable to me.

Open carry in Baltimore would not be a nightmare. Most of those in Baltimore committing crime are either under age and cannot possess a regulated gun and are easy to spot as being too young, or are drug dealing and would be facing a mandatory minimum if caught with a gun while dealing, or already have a felony record not being able to possess a gun and the local cops know who they are and would arrest them if they saw them with a gun worn openly.

No, Baltimore would be much safer because neighborhood watches could be visibly armed and citizens visibly armed would be less likely to be robbed.

But this is a side issue to the budget subject.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I agree with this. I know some of you will do pretty much anything to get the permits. But please, dont let yourselfs be violated (huge fee) to get something. Remember, 500 for you might be nothing, but alot of hard working people can't drop 500 or 250 a year on a piece of plastic. Granted i understand that you can't put a price on life. But let's be more realistic. It would have to be price similar to the other states.

Thing is to get shall issue first and then point out the process is still unfair because it is too expensive for many of those in need of self protection the most and the fee should be lowered. From what I understand this is what happened in a few shall issue states where they kept lowering the fee.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    An anti finally posted on that blog. Funny how they are claiming the same old lie about someone getting their gun taken away from them.....but yet security guards have guns and MD issues permits to professionals to carry guns, so are they suggesting that we should not give security guards, judges, doctors and businessmen carrying deposits permits either?
    He also misspelled "fourth". :lol2:

Norton

NRA Endowment Member, Rifleman
    Staff member
    Admin
    May 22, 2005

Any fee for the permit would have to be more or less in line with fees charged for other permits.

novus collectus

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    May 1, 2005
    Bowie
    I think we need to think about Massachusetts who has a similar population size as MD. Even though they are a “may issue” state, their permit process is much more reasonable and as reported by the Boston Globe [Many players regard firearm as a necessity: Concealed weapon licenses common,November 10, 2006] as a result they have 200,000 handgun carry permits issued (Class A LTC) to their citizens (this is not counting the non-resident Class A LTC). If Maryland went shall issue or had a more just permit process, we may have a similar number of permit holders and 200,000 times the $125 fee is what for our budget……

Papi4baby

WWJBD
    May 10, 2009
    California
    I agree. But in the other thread some people were saying they would not mind paying 250 a year, just trying to put another spin on it. But yes, the primary cause is to make it a shall issue, i concur.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom