• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    so I been looking at a couple different auto knives recently. I carry a pocket knife every day, I feel naked without one and use it multiple times per day. I have dozens, but most of my EDC favorites are all assisted opening, I just find it very handy to be able to open with one hand cause my other hand is usually full of something when I am working.

but the laws here in this state suck for autos. the difference in function between assisted and auto is miniscule, yet one is legal and the other will make me a prohibited person for life if I get arrested and charged.

I know they are legal to own and carry on my own property, but having a pocket knife on me is so second nature I know I will just forget one day. no idea how strictly all this crap is enforced, but don't think the juice is worth the squeeze I guess. Unfortunately, the couple new knives I am looking at do not come in assisted versions so I guess they are out.

just venting and want to reiterate, this state sucks.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    so I been looking at a couple different auto knives recently. I carry a pocket knife every day, I feel naked without one and use it multiple times per day. I have dozens, but most of my EDC favorites are all assisted opening, I just find it very handy to be able to open with one hand cause my other hand is usually full of something when I am working.

but the laws here in this state suck for autos. the difference in function between assisted and auto is miniscule, yet one is legal and the other will make me a prohibited person for life if I get arrested and charged.

I know they are legal to own and carry on my own property, but having a pocket knife on me is so second nature I know I will just forget one day. no idea how strictly all this crap is enforced, but don't think the juice is worth the squeeze I guess. Unfortunately, the couple new knives I am looking at do not come in assisted versions so I guess they are out.

just venting and want to reiterate, this state sucks.

You're preaching to the choir.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    One great option are wave blades, they have a small hook on the top of the blade and open by catching your pocket as you pull it out. They're actually faster than switchblades and assited opening knives with a little practice. Several companies make them including Spyderco, Cold Steel, Emerson, Kershaw......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDUV1LDd4Ck

I am an old fart. ease of use is why I choose 1 handed opening pocket knives, speed is no longer in my vocabulary :)

WeaponsCollector

EXTREME GUN OWNER
    Mar 30, 2009
    Southern MD
    I am an old fart. ease of use is why I choose 1 handed opening pocket knives, speed is no longer in my vocabulary :)

Most modern pocket knives have thumb studs, or thumb holes and can open with one hand whether they have assisted opening or not. But I think the easiest ones to open with one hand would be the wave blades.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    MD law defines a switchblade as a knife that is deployed by hand pressure on a button. For that reason assisted opening knives are not classified as switchblades. (Nudge a stud instead)

Assisted opening knives are separately banned in Baltimore City and Ocean City.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom