• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    In the form of a 1911. Now, I don't particularly have any interest in the 1911 or the caliber. I admire and respect the design for what it is but I never bought one mainly because I don't want yet another caliber to keep track of in my stash. I'm mainly a 9mm guy because it allows me to buy all kinds of different designs spanning over 100 years in both pistol and rifle form. .45 just never attracted me. Anywho, I saw this one in a local shop and it had somehow made it 30 years without anyone pimping it out so I picked it up for a closer look. When I pulled the slide to the rear, I immediately noticed the old familiar Chinese cosmoline I had seen so many times so many years ago but thought I would never see again. That told me it had most likely never seen any range time either. It didn't have the box or the extra magazine but I kinda' felt I should buy it if only to keep it in original form; I'm big on originality you know. Besides, how often do you get a chance to buy a "new" thirty year old Chicom these days in the US? So, home it came and I figured I'd post some pictures both prior to and after an initial cleaning to share. As it turns out, it really does appear to have never been fired after import. I'm not opposed to shooting it but I probably never will. I've shot 1911's before and I assume this one would be no different so there is no need. Anywho, here are some general and detail pictures prior to cleaning off the old Chicom grease:

Numbered parts include the frame, barrel and magazine. Nr. 2 is shown here. Unfortunately, Nr.1 is lost to time:

Barrel and link. I have no idea what "MP" means:

Bore. Looks nasty doesn't it?? That's just cosmoline:

General details. There is lots of information online about these pistols but not many detail pictures. Remember, these still show the grease so the finish is actually better than shown.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The remaining pictures were taken after cleaning. I've been collecting Chinese firearms since the 80's and I have to say, while almost every one I've ever seen has been well made and Quality where it counts, they seem to have put a little extra attention into machining and finish on the exterior of these 1911's. I haven't looked ad one in many years but I remember their Makarov's being pretty nice too. No, it's no prewar Colt but, for a Chicom in the 80's, it's pretty well done. My first pistol was a 9mm Tokarev made in Factory 66. It worked perfectly no matter what I put it through but it was never pretty.

Schweet bore:

This last picture is probably blasphemy to may diehard 1911 guys but time has proven that the Chinese did a good job on this one:

So, that's my newest pistol. It's nothing special and never will be but it's fun to still find an old Norinco still in the factory grease. I'll pass it along one day to someone else who will appreciate it for what it is and keep it as it was built. But they won't get the enjoyment of doing an initial cleaning as I already had that fun. HA HA!! Okiedokie, I hope someone enjoys this drivel and thanks for your time!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Thats awesome! I have a Norinco 1911 that i picked up about 20 years ago for $165, its my favorite and most accurate pistol.

I highly recommend that you shoot it and shoot it often!

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    I've had mine for over 25 years and never noticed the numbered mags.

Attachments

• Copy of IMAG0042.jpg
      Copy of IMAG0042.jpg
      75 KB · Views: 1,108

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Very nice Dan!!

Hey! You learned something you didn't know! That means I did my job sir. It's all about details!!

Boss94

Ultimate Member
    Feb 15, 2013
    I had 1 back when they came out new.the fit and finish was nice for the price. I shot it a few times, then a friend bugged me to sell it to him. I believe he may still have it. I thought it was a interesting gun being Chinese and in a US caliber.

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Please. post some picture. I'd love to see it!

Here's my $165 1911. The mag that came with it was junk and would not run so i replaced it with CMC and Mecgar mags, and i replaced the plastic grip panels with a set of homemade walnut panels.

This gun absolutely hates steel case ammo, has the occasional FTF with Freedom Munitions ammo, and will run great with ammo such as WWB and S&B.

This gun will out shoot any other handgun that i have. If i'm shooting pistols, this gun will be in my range bag, its my go to pistol.

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      95.4 KB · Views: 1,050

Rebel59

Hater of Kings and Queens
    Apr 8, 2018
    Went fishing
    I love it, never knew Norinco made these. It seems they have copied everything at one time or another, even have some carbine ammo around here some ware made by Norinco marked LC 52 or 53.

Ranchero50

Ultimate Member
    Dec 15, 2012
    Hagerstown MD
    Thanks for the detail pics. From a machinists perspective it always amazes me about how many processes each part had to go through to end up with the finished product. There's just oh so many chances to make a mistake.

The Garand book shows similar and is amazing.

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    If you think 1911A1 is rare?

Try a Norinco Luger. Only one I know of, sold in an Euro auction a few years back.

Attachments

• Book_Norinco_2s.jpg
      Book_Norinco_2s.jpg
      24 KB · Views: 278

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I've seen those. IIRC, there were a few imported as samples just before the ban. Someone over at one of the Luger forums has one I think. Had there been no ban, they would have sold those things by the tens of thousands and I would definitely have one. Thanks for posting that Dan!

Dan44

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    May 5, 2008
    Back in the mid 80's while in Fl, I met David Keng at a Lakeland gun show. He was selling Polytech Aks & SVD's, he handed me some nice flyers for the up coming Legend series ( I still have them somewhere) Type 3 AK, M14 & 1911A1. He told me that there would be a series of firearms under that banner. But some ass**** shot up a school in CA and ended that.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Yep. We got some good stuff back then. Today is the second golden time for new made military firearms but the 80's sure were fantastic weren't they? I sold my Norinco sidefolder to fund my MP44 but I still have my underfolder (my first rifle) and the SVD. I recently sold my Poly M14 as well but that was an excellent rifle too. I've had a number of Chicom SKS's over the years too but I've always ended up letting them go. It's funny to see some of the youngun's elevate these old clunkers to almost legendary status now while knowing that almost nobody wanted them back then. Just about the time they were coming into their own, the ban hit and ruined the party. I screwed up this past winter by waiting overnight to decide whether or not to buy the Type 81 on GB that was posted late at night for a BIN of $5500. It was gone by morning. Oh well. Sadly, most of my collection from back then (which didn't even require registration when bought second hand) isn't even legal to buy in this state anymore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom