• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I happened to be the first POF 308 SBR to come through MSP since they added SBRs to the handgun roster. Since it was not on their list yet my FFL had to ship it to them for inspection/molestation before they would give me the CLEO so they might already have a definitive answer for me.

Did they inspect it with the muzzle brake?

sharmo2

Mar 19, 2015
    Westminster, MD
    Not sure what they do when they ask to have a rifle shipped to them for inspection and approval to be added to the roster. It was sent to them with the factory muzzle brake so I will ask them.

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I was just gonna email a pic of the muzzle brake off of google images and ask them what they thought. Predictably they'll tell me its an evil feature but you never know. I keep all my firearm configurations legal so I'm not worried about anyone knocking on my door.

I wouldn't do that. Buy a muzzle brake, keep any documentation, just in case.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I was just gonna email a pic of the muzzle brake off of google images and ask them what they thought. Predictably they'll tell me its an evil feature but you never know. I keep all my firearm configurations legal so I'm not worried about anyone knocking on my door.

I wouldn't do that. Buy a muzzle brake, keep any documentation, just in case.

That was the theory of the guy on the Military Arms Channel about the Sig brace and the recent ATF letter. People kept peppering the ATF with letters until they had to change their opinion. Given that some brakes are also advertised as flash hiders, it wouldn't be a big step for the increasingly aggressive MSP to decide all brakes are flash hiders.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    That was the theory of the guy on the Military Arms Channel about the Sig brace and the recent ATF letter. People kept peppering the ATF with letters until they had to change their opinion. Given that some brakes are also advertised as flash hiders, it wouldn't be a big step for the increasingly aggressive MSP to decide all brakes are flash hiders.

My thoughts exactly. If it doesn't say "Not a flash hider'' on it, some may construe it as being a flash hider.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    If it is factory on the gun and the MSP added it to the roster and approved the CLEO sign off after inspection I would call it good. What else are you looking for?

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Just read the law. As has been posted, if it FUNCTIONS to suppress flash, it IS a flash suppressor, no matter what it is called, what it is sold as, or anything else.

Unless the roster board fired it with and without the muzzle brake, there is no way they can tell if it functions as such or not.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    yes BATF will kick it back for < 29"

don't know about the other evil features test but if you're caught, you may face charges IMO.

use an abundance of caution. gun convictions don't go away.

IANAL

But yer guns will.

sharmo2

Mar 19, 2015
    Westminster, MD
    Pinecone:
    Seems like a gray area. Its my understanding that the purpose of a muzzle brake is to reduce recoil not to not to supress or hide the flash.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    It's not a gray area. The law sates if a device is either designed orr FUNCTIONS as a flash hider, for purposes of the copycat provision, it's considered a flash hider. A simple test can be used to see the results. Remove the brake and discharge the weapon.Observe the flash. Put the brake on, discharge again, if there is less flash, it's considered a flash suppressor for purposes of FSA2013

From the bill

[FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]([/FONT][FONT=&quot]G[/FONT][FONT=&quot]) “F[/FONT][FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][FONT=&quot]AS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]H SUPPRESSOR[/FONT][FONT=&quot]” [/FONT][FONT=&quot]M[/FONT][FONT=&quot]E[/FONT][FONT=&quot]ANS A DEVICE THAT FUNCTIONS[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]O[/FONT][FONT=&quot]R IS[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]3 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]INTENDED TO FUNCTION[/FONT][FONT=&quot], [/FONT][FONT=&quot]T[/FONT][FONT=&quot]O PERCEPTIBLY REDUCE OR REDIRECT MUZZLE[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]1[/FONT][FONT=&quot]4 [/FONT][FONT=&quot]F[/FONT][FONT=&quot]L[/FONT][FONT=&quot]AS[/FONT][FONT=&quot]H FROM THE SHOOTER[/FONT][FONT=&quot]’[/FONT][FONT=&quot]S FIELD OF VISION[/FONT][FONT=&quot].[/FONT]

sharmo2

Mar 19, 2015
    Westminster, MD
    It's not a gray area. The law sates if a device is either designed orr FUNCTIONS as a flash hider, for purposes of the copycat provision, it's considered a flash hider. A simple test can be used to see the results. Remove the brake and discharge the weapon.Observe the flash. Put the brake on, discharge again, if there is less flash, it's considered a flash suppressor for purposes of FSA2013

From the bill
    I believe I have my answer now. I don't know if a muzzle brake reduces muzzle flash but it definitely redirects it so its a no go and would be a "copycat" Thanks!

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    I believe I have my answer now. I don't know if a muzzle brake reduces muzzle flash but it definitely redirects it so its a no go and would be a "copycat" Thanks!

It says redirects it from the shooters field of vision. Not just redirects it. Like was posted before. Shoot without it, then with it. With a good muzzle brake you will see more flash with it. With a good flash hider you will see more flash without it.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Pinecone:
    Seems like a gray area. Its my understanding that the purpose of a muzzle brake is to reduce recoil not to not to supress or hide the flash.

NOT a gray area.

MD law says if it functions to suppress flash, it is flash suppressor according to the law.

It doesn't matter if it is designed and sold as a muzzle brake, if it suppresses the flash, any amount, it is a flash suppressor.

You could call it a barrel dildo, and if it suppressed the flash, in MD is it a flash suppressor for the feature test.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    So logic would dictate that the M4 barreled AR15 is legal for sale in MD, because it does not have a grenade launcher on it?

Under the copy cat provisions, yes.

HOWEVER, it is an an named banned firearm or an imitation (swap-able parts and still functions) as a named banned firearm.

Tavor - Not named as banned, but banned due to copy cat provisions.

M1A - Fine under copy cat provisions, banned by name.

The get you coming and going.

DaemonAssassin

Why should we Free BSD?
    Jun 14, 2012
    Political refugee in WV
    Under the copy cat provisions, yes.

HOWEVER, it is an an named banned firearm or an imitation (swap-able parts and still functions) as a named banned firearm.

Tavor - Not named as banned, but banned due to copy cat provisions.

M1A - Fine under copy cat provisions, banned by name.

The get you coming and going.
    What a load of crap...

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom