• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Elliotte

Ultimate Member
    Aug 11, 2011
    Loudoun County VA
    I must be missing something somewhere, what business is going on in the House on Saturday? I don't see anything on the schedules online, and I wouldn't think of Saturday as a normal workday for the legislators. I'm not trying to poo-poo the efforts, just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    The current course you can go through in about 20 minutes. So I assume that the course specified in the bill is going to be more detailed and involved.

i dunno about a 4-hour online video (zzzz), seems long, but it would not be awful if there a quiz at the end (silimar to the way the hunter safety online works). I hate to say it but you can sleep through it. I also think that hunter safety should satisfy the requirement because they go over the basic safety issues.

Tomcat

Formerly Known As HITWTOM
    May 7, 2012
    St.Mary's County
    I wonder if the shuttle from the Navy stadium parking will be running? :rolleyes:

It's not a bad walk at all, we walked on the 1st to the House Bldg. Cut through the DNR parking lot across the street from the stadium to Sachs Blvd. follow to Rowe Blvd. across the bridge and you're there. Use Google maps, you'll see what I'm talking about.

hodgepodge

Senior Member (Gold)
    Sep 3, 2009
    Arnold, MD
    I must be missing something somewhere, what business is going on in the House on Saturday? I don't see anything on the schedules online, and I wouldn't think of Saturday as a normal workday for the legislators. I'm not trying to poo-poo the efforts, just trying to figure out what I'm missing.

The House will be in session, but not with a scheduled vote on SB281.

Nevertheless, we will be there to remind them that we are still watching their actions.

Never give up! Never surrender!

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    i dunno about a 4-hour online video (zzzz), seems long, but it would not be awful if there a quiz at the end (silimar to the way the hunter safety online works). I hate to say it but you can sleep through it. I also think that hunter safety should satisfy the requirement because they go over the basic safety issues.

if it anywhere as bad as the boater safety course, it will increase the suicide rate in maryland

Jaybeez

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Patriot Picket
    May 30, 2006
    Darlington MD
    The House will be in session, but not with a scheduled vote on SB281.

Nevertheless, we will be there to remind them that we are still watching their actions.

Never give up! Never surrender!

sounds like they want to sneak a vote in on a saturday at the last minute with No notification.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    if it anywhere as bad as the boater safety course, it will increase the suicide rate in maryland

someone operating a boat who's taken the course :lol2:

or maybe they took the course but are ignoring the rules. :rolleyes:

remember that the hunter safety course does actually have a live fire part, (with a shotgun), as well as go over firearm safety. I got $100 that says that most the legislators dont know that.

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I should be there, pending approval from the director of scheduling.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Patrick, how are the magazines restrictions coming? Being pulled out?

Good question. Sorry for leaving that out.

It's a hybrid approach right now: 10 rounds for rifles but "manufactured capacity" for pistols; defined as the number of rounds that fit in the well of the pistol grip, with no extensions, up to and including 20 rounds.

So 10 rounds for an AR-15; 17 for the Glock 19. No extenders ont eh mags (Pearce extenders, etc.).

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Patrick - is there a capacity limit to the gallery, and if so is there overflow anywhere?
    It's an old building. Gallery will only holds about 120, so we'll need to shuffle in and out for all to be seen. Also the interior of the building itself is open and frankly there are enough historical displays to keep you engaged. Once we fill that space, we will again have to keep folks moving around. It'll be a nice day for a walk around the building. :innocent0

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    For those who plan on attending both the MDS shoot and this event. Please secure your firearms out of sight in your vehicle.

Do not be the test case for long gun carry in Annapolis, even though AG Gansler said you could.

No kidding. Long gun open carry within 1000 foot of a political rally or event (the GA would qualify) is a crime. Don't play games.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    How long will this be going on on Saturday? I've got a previous engagement at 1 which would mean I'd have to leave early to get back for it. Would it be worth coming back afterwards though?
    Not long. Probably into early afternoon. I expect to retire to Ram's Head before it gets too late.

Unless the schedule a gun vote, in which case I will go the distance.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    I may be down on Saturday. If I can convince my daughter to come down I think it would be a lovely civics lesson for her in addition to reminding our legislators that we are, in fact, watching them.
    There is significant truth in here. The statehouse is a great way to bring the kids up to speed on civics.

NatBoh

Ultimate Member
    Jan 4, 2012
    Baltimore
    I'll be there with my neighbor and fellow MSI member. We both live in D46 and Del. Hammen represents us. We were only able to meet with his Chief of Staff on Feb 6th, so I'd like try again to meet with him to reiterate our stance on 281, and gun control in general. Hopefully we'll be able to set this up.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County

It's a standard day for them to get work done. The closer you get to the end of session - and next week's "crossover" date - the more they need to burn oil to get things done and moving. There is a chance the gun stuff will come up, but it is just as likely to be lots of blah blah about laws on dogs and cats.

The point is to let them know we are there, as they are considering this stuff off the floor. A lot of action is happening behind the scenes - there are a lot of lawmakers talking about the consequences of these bills. We need to remind them that voters are the consequence of bad decisions.

This is a pure show of strength.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    roth405

Latest threads

Top Bottom