• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • krucam

Ultimate Member
    I didnt think that Pena (magazine ban) had as clear a circuit split as Rogers or Gould.

And neither did NYSRPA. Pena is similarly situated without the split. The impossible to meet requirements on handguns seems like an easy to stomach grant...just my .02 worth...

delaware_export

Ultimate Member
    Apr 10, 2018
    Do you guys think young would be a better case to escalate? After it’s run its course in the 9th?

It would get the case of 100% denial under any circumstance, for average citizens before the court.

The 9th had ruled concealed was a priv. So that only left open. and Cali by law, and Hawaii by permit, deny open carry. Any carry by an average John q is effectively prohibited to many people in either state.

krucam

Ultimate Member
    Do you guys think young would be a better case to escalate? After it’s run its course in the 9th?

It would get the case of 100% denial under any circumstance, for average citizens before the court.

The 9th had ruled concealed was a priv. So that only left open. and Cali by law, and Hawaii by permit, deny open carry. Any carry by an average John q is effectively prohibited to many people in either state.

Young is on hold at CA9 pending NYSRPA...

Edit: Agree that it would be a perfect vehicle for appeal to SCOTUS other wise.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Young is on hold at CA9 pending NYSRPA...

Edit: Agree that it would be a perfect vehicle for appeal to SCOTUS other wise.

Young still has a chance to get to 1 First, dealing with "bear"

NYSRPA is to get the 2A recognized outside of one's doorstep. If the others are GVR'd after a positive ruling would speak volumes.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If the case is moot it only delays the inevitable. The "new" court has telegraphed it will take up a 2A case. If not this one there are plenty more in the pipeline so it is just a matter of time. Some of the other cases might speed up the end results, the present case will probably result in a ruling for strict scrutiny with many cases getting a do over and the courts having a chance to go through more gymnastics to avoid a proper ruling. What if the case chosen to replace the mooted one was a direct carry outside the home case that got a full ruling of strict scrutiny and carry must be allowed either open or shall issue?

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    Just a couple of points from a layman . . .

1) If NYSRPA is mooted, the ultimate result will be yet another Conservative to weight the court. Amy Barrett? Sidenote: I very much like the idea of a Supreme Court Justice with a surname synonymous with the .50 Cal rifle.

2) At first glance, it seems to be quite a stretch from Pena (common use) through Mance (interstate transfer) to Rogers & Gould (outside the home / "may issue" challenge). If there is a common thread, the needle might be Rogers or Gould. A favorable text-history-tradition ruling there could impact all four held cases, and sew them right up.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    If NYSRPA is mooted, the ultimate result will be yet another Conservative to weight the court.

Not sure I'm following the chain of events, here. Are you saying that if it's mooted, it will motivate enough voters to guarantee that Trump is re-elected, and that the Senate remains in the hands of the team that will seat his nominees (presumptively, A.B. among them)?

Or are you assuming Trump WILL be re-elected, and thus will be around when RGB goes, and that A.B. will be seated, and that a moot-ment of NYSRP will put the next friendly-to-us case in front of a court featuring her presence?

Either way, there's a lot of variables involved that would sure have to line up the right way.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊

And OC is denied in practice through past experience in MD.

press1280

Ultimate Member
    Jun 11, 2010
    WV
    Not sure I'm following the chain of events, here. Are you saying that if it's mooted, it will motivate enough voters to guarantee that Trump is re-elected, and that the Senate remains in the hands of the team that will seat his nominees (presumptively, A.B. among them)?

Or are you assuming Trump WILL be re-elected, and thus will be around when RGB goes, and that A.B. will be seated, and that a moot-ment of NYSRP will put the next friendly-to-us case in front of a court featuring her presence?

Either way, there's a lot of variables involved that would sure have to line up the right way.

That one I'd think. NYSRPA being mooted isn't going to motivate anyone not already motivated.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I am not sure what you mean. the MD W&C permit covers both open and concealed carry.

Until your OC generates a complaint from a concerned ciitizen-snowflake. Then you get busted for disturbing the peace, and MSP yanks your permit.

Fedora

Dec 16, 2018
    That one I'd think. NYSRPA being mooted isn't going to motivate anyone not already motivated.

What Mr. Press says.

There have been only 9 incumbent presidents who ran and lost, so the odds are very good that Trump will (a) earn a second term, (b) that the Ginsberg seat will be available sometime before 2024, and (c) Trump will nominate another Gorsuch / Kavanaugh to replace Ginsberg. He has indicated his nominee will probably be Amy Barrett.

I should have been more clear. Thank you for correcting me.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom