• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I was turkey hunting between Boring and Butler this morning.I didnt see or hear any turkeys but got to see my first coyote ever.

I was walking in the woods and it crossed a field in front of me about 70 yrds away .I leaned up against a tree the best I could,rested my gun against it and started lip squeaking.It turned and started walking towards me.I was hoping to kill it but about 40 yrds away ,it saw me and ran off.
    I wonder if #6s straight in the chest would have killed it at that range?

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I was turkey hunting between Boring and Butler this morning.I didnt see or hear any turkeys but got to see my first coyote ever.

I was walking in the woods and it crossed a field in front of me about 70 yrds away .I leaned up against a tree the best I could,rested my gun against it and started lip squeaking.It turned and started walking towards me.I was hoping to kill it but about 40 yrds away ,it saw me and ran off.

It it didn't kill it you'd have a hell of a story to tell the ER Dr.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    At 40yds, damned unlikely with #6. Screw it up, sure, but the shot isn’t probablygoing to penetrate more than a couple inches at most and not through ribs and stuff.

Might not live, but earned unlikely to drop it there. BB might do the job at that distance.

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    Best not to take that shot at that distance with that ammo and risk just sending an animal off to die slowly of infection from a wound like that. Good call. Last time I saw a coyote here in our area, he popped out of the woods to say, "How YOU doin'?" to our female pointer who was in season. He didn't give a damn about me, he was all about those good smells.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    At 40yds, damned unlikely with #6. Screw it up, sure, but the shot isn’t probablygoing to penetrate more than a couple inches at most and not through ribs and stuff.

Might not live, but earned unlikely to drop it there. BB might do the job at that distance.

BBs are definitely illegal to take on a turkey hunt

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but where are you getting that BB's are illegal? Everything I see says nothing larger than #4 (Loaded). Keeping a load of buck or slug in your pocket doesn't look illegal. Load that round you are no longer turkey hunting, now your hunting coyotes.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I asked a warden about shooting a dual dove/goose hunt.Would it be legal to hunt the same field the same day using steel for geese,then if we got our limits,switch over to led for the doves.He said we would have to remove all goose hunting equipment from the property before using lead for the doves.If we used steel,it was no problem.He said he would write someone up if that situation came about.Maybe its a law....maybe it isnt,but I want to skip any hassles.

Seems to me,where certain ammo is illegal to use for certain animals,that would fit the warden's decision

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Yes in your scenario of geese and doves it (law) is specific. You cannot have lead in possession while hunting waterfowl. I agree it probably isn't worth the possible hassle, for what is probably a low chance occurrence of turkey/coyote. Additionally you would need to have a fur bearer license.

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    I never thought I would ever have a coyote that close.Im not sure I could have changed shells without it hearing me.A Mossberg 500 isnt that quiet racking shells and as far as I know,you cant swap just the first round out.

I do buy a fur bearer licence every year,even though I havent shot or trapped any for years.

You do have me thinking of keeping a bigger round with me just in case.I definitely wish I had one in the tube the other day

Moorvogi

Firearm Advocate
    Dec 28, 2014
    Got one in Westminster to come up within about 15-20 yards but the farmer was “behind my shot” coyote got away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jtb81100

Ultimate Member
    May 28, 2012
    Western HoCo
    Maybe we're splitting hairs here, but where are you getting that BB's are illegal? Everything I see says nothing larger than #4 (Loaded). Keeping a load of buck or slug in your pocket doesn't look illegal. Load that round you are no longer turkey hunting, now your hunting coyotes.

I've asked a couple different dnr officials about hunting different species on the same trip. They've always told me all equipment must be legal for all species being targeted.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I've asked a couple different dnr officials about hunting different species on the same trip. They've always told me all equipment must be legal for all species being targeted.

That’s what I’ve also been told. That said, #5 isn’t legal on a deer and I don’t think anyone in their right mind wouldntry using that on a deer. I doubt a DNR officer is going to haul you up by the short hairs if you have some squirrel loads on you along with slugs while deer hunting. However, some jokers do use things like BB and stuff on turkey...

WildWeasel

Mar 31, 2019
    MI>FL>MD

Tough call. Likely would've ran, but gone down eventually with a tight choke.

I take it coyotes aren't too common in MD? I probably would have shot... In my experience (MI and CO) coyotes are tough to hunt specifically or are luck based, whereas deer, turkey, etc are easy to come by so I'm not too worried about scaring game to try and get a coyote.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I would shoot AT a coyote as fast as I would throw a book at a mouse running across the floor(I got one with a knife on a job once) or a shoe at a cockroach(don't have those) scurrying for safety. They are all vermin and are treated as such by me. Ethical kill of a coyote? Shee-it. I get a dog at 40 yds, head on, I'm aiming right under its chin. Sorry. No ethical shots on coyotes. Just shots.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom