• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Devil Dog 1911's?

I was at Peacemaker this morning and I saw a few 1911's in the display case. They were "Devil Dog" 1911's. I didn't handle one, but they looked like they were good quality.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

PJDiesel

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Dec 18, 2011
    I've wanted a 1911 in 9MM bad, I know it's not puritan and all but..... so much cheaper to run.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    I've wanted a 1911 in 9MM bad, I know it's not puritan and all but..... so much cheaper to run.

Me too. I feel like it's sacrilege, but I have to get one. I really like the Wilson Combat EDC X9, but it isn't a "true"1911. These DDA 1911's are competitively priced. I may take the plunge on a black 9mm.

I like that DDA is getting their forgings domestically. That is always a plus for me.

shootin the breeze

Missed it by that much
    Dec 22, 2012
    Highland

Me too. I feel like it's sacrilege, but I have to get one. I really like the Wilson Combat EDC X9, but it isn't a "true"1911. These DDA 1911's are competitively priced. I may take the plunge on a black 9mm.

I like that DDA is getting their forgings domestically. That is always a plus for me.

Get one in 9mm. I don't have a Devil Dog but I've got a Nighthawk and an STI in 9mm. Also an STI and Guncrafter in 38S. Get one of those too! You won't regret it.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    These guys used to make AR's. The founder was busted for fraud and "stolen valor." https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/04/11/devil-dog-arms-stolen-valor/

Apparently the company has been reconstituted with different management. https://www.guns.com/news/2017/04/2...ompany-born-again-after-stolen-valor-incident

Looks like it's a totally different team now and one of the owner's is a former Marine. They even changed the logo from a bulldog to a wolf-like dog.

I may give them a chance and buy from them.

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Looks like it's a totally different team now and one of the owner's is a former Marine. They even changed the logo from a bulldog to a wolf-like dog.

I may give them a chance and buy from them.

Even under the old ownership I don't think the quality was ever an issue on the AR's. I know several shops here in VA that swore by them a few years back before they went under.

4g64loser

Bad influence
    Jan 18, 2007
    maryland
    No comment on ownership but their guns are nice for the price. Shot several at a demo last year (they were one of many vendors). I hate rails on 1911s, so I would go for a slick frame 9mm 5" (already have enough 45s). I do have to admit that they are smoother than pricier Kimbers.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Seems lile they have the same variants as Colt...full size, commander sized and defender sized. Figures there’s no dealer in Maryland. Closest is Leesburg. Next to see if they’re “on the list”.

Mr.Blue

Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Seems lile they have the same variants as Colt...full size, commander sized and defender sized. Figures there’s no dealer in Maryland. Closest is Leesburg. Next to see if they’re “on the list”.

If you’re “West of Frederick“, Peacemaker in Gerardstown, WV has them too. Not sure if that works for you.

euchre98

Feb 13, 2009
    Leonardtown
    Meh.... Trigger guard isnt undercut; beavertail not fitted fully; slide cuts dont line up with the dust cover correctly.

If the price point was $300 cheaper then it would be ok. But at that $1K price point I'll pass.

Boats

Broken Member
    Mar 13, 2012
    Howeird County
    Meh.... Trigger guard isnt undercut; beavertail not fitted fully; slide cuts dont line up with the dust cover correctly.

If the price point was $300 cheaper then it would be ok. But at that $1K price point I'll pass.

Cast frame is a hard "ill pass" for me. These look like Armscor quality at Colt prices.

This along with the above issues, and im not interested...no matter who they got to run the company.

TheOriginalMexicanBob

Ultimate Member
    Jul 2, 2017
    Sun City West, AZ
    A cast frame isn't a deal breaker...a good casting is better than a poor quality forging. Everything else being equal a forging is superior but things are rarely equal. I prefer a pistol made of forgings but there's no arguing Rock Island 1911 pistols are well made and cost effective. But they're not $1k pistols either outside of a few high grade examples. But I also won't pay $1k for a $600 pistol either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom