• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    So I was reading this article in Outdoor Life.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/hu...owler-how-take-more-ducks-and-geese-less-gear

It intrigues me, but seems to depend on finding small creeks and rivers and ponds. Possible on private land, for sure. But is it do-able on public land in Maryland? Thoughts?

It is doable all the way around. When I duck hunted by myself about 10 years ago, I would only bring 1 to 2 dozen decoys with me because the walk from the car to the water sucked. Killed plenty of ducks that way, and even one mallard from New York with a $100 reward band on it.

When I first started hunting geese, I was hunting only with 2 dozen decoys and a makeshift blind from faux wood paneling, 2x4, and burlap canvas camo. Killed plenty of geese that way too. However, the fields I was hunting in were fields the geese wanted to get into.

Hunted Elliott's Island with only one to two dozen decoys and did just fine that way.

Who wants us to use super huge spreads? The decoys manufacturers and retailers. Today, we put out about 5 dozen big feet, left another dozen in the shed, and left 7 dozen carry lite shells in the back of my truck. Had no problem with the geese.

Here I am thinking about dropping $2k on big feet decoys at the end of the season, if I can find them on sale, to enlarge the size of the spread and this article has knocked some sense into me. We probably don't need them unless we pick up another spot to hunt and want to leave them on site.

Plenty of hunting can be done on the minimalist side of things. Don't need the fancy shotgun, the super expensive shells, tons of the super fancy decoys, etc. Just need to be willing to put in the time and effort to get out there and hunt. Spending the time and effort to figure out where the birds are also helps.

Oh yeah, I also agree with the article that shooting smaller groups of geese is easier because of fewer eyes to spot stuff. It is also a good thing because less geese become aware of the pressure from the field and you might not burn up the field as soon, if at all.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Besides having a blind. We do it very minimally. 6-8 ducks max, and maybe 15 geese. Time, effort, and patience are what get us our shots.

Song Dog

Jan 2, 2013
    Eastern Shore -Delmarva
    In your back yard, you have Dave's Cove for public hunting while most tidal water is licensed up in Maryland other than WMA's etc. We hunt the Potomac River with less than 18 puddle ducks and sometimes don't need that many to get the job done.

Rule of thumb the smaller the water the less decoys are needed ........

browning guy

SCRUFFY NERF HERDER
    Dec 10, 2009
    Essex
    Well Hyp81, I put out 4-8 decoys as a puddle duck spread.
    If I am hunting divers I use 3-5 dozen about the same for sea ducks.

If you are where the birds want to be you don't need a big spread. Also what most people don't under stand is a huge spread show's the lack of motion even more then a small spread.

I 100% beleive less is more!!

nedsurf

Ultimate Member
    Feb 8, 2013
    There is good public land around MD for this. We do have the Day's cove area which I have gotten into by canoe. There are a lot of areas around that part of the water. There is also the rivers to the west that have ducks and regional geese flying through their corridors.

iggy

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 26, 2013
    Can you walk into Days Cove though? I lack a boat.

Waterfowl hunting over water without a boat or a dog makes it hard to be ethical. You really don't have a way to get your downed birds unless the wind is just right. You are probably going to need a kayak at a minimum. Even with a good dog a boat is needed for the ones that get too far out in an uncooperative wind.

As others have said, sometimes less is more. I only put out a dozen duck decoys most of the year and have hunted with as little as 4. Of course during goose season I have 2-5 dozen goose floaters out and the ducks are just scattered in.

If I was trying to get started on a minimalist scheme I would probably start with a used kayak or canoe in the off season. It will give you a chance to scout out the areas you might want to hunt during the warmer weather. Then all you really need is a handful for deeks and some camo material for a makeshift blind. Although I have killed plenty when I was sitting in the marsh grass wearing a decent camo pattern.

Hyp81

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2012
    Dundalk, MD
    Wes-- yup, I saw how many you put out. I am just trying to figure out where I can go to do this myself.

Waterfowl hunting over water without a boat or a dog makes it hard to be ethical. You really don't have a way to get your downed birds unless the wind is just right. You are probably going to need a kayak at a minimum. Even with a good dog a boat is needed for the ones that get too far out in an uncooperative wind.

Well, actually, I am pretty sure my friend that went with me Saturday has a kayak, and I can borrow a canoe from work when I want to. We have a small fleet of them.

As others have said, sometimes less is more. I only put out a dozen duck decoys most of the year and have hunted with as little as 4. Of course during goose season I have 2-5 dozen goose floaters out and the ducks are just scattered in.

If I was trying to get started on a minimalist scheme I would probably start with a used kayak or canoe in the off season. It will give you a chance to scout out the areas you might want to hunt during the warmer weather. Then all you really need is a handful for deeks and some camo material for a makeshift blind. Although I have killed plenty when I was sitting in the marsh grass wearing a decent camo pattern.

This is all good info. Thank you guys.

Waterfowling is somewhat addicting. Much like owning guns. Or classic video game consoles. Or Ponies. :lol2:

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    This is a really interesting thread. If I may, indulge what might be an ignorant question. I understand there's a lottery for the various blind sites. I understand that these are anchoring or mooring locations and you hunt it from a boat rather than in a fixed blind. Now are there other ways to hunt ducks and other waterfowl that don't require you to secure one of these blind sites? I don't think i'll have access to a board with enough freeboard to safely hunt these types of site, but it sounds like my little Jon boat could handle areas where a kayak or canoe can be used. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    This is a really interesting thread. If I may, indulge what might be an ignorant question. I understand there's a lottery for the various blind sites. I understand that these are anchoring or mooring locations and you hunt it from a boat rather than in a fixed blind. Now are there other ways to hunt ducks and other waterfowl that don't require you to secure one of these blind sites? I don't think i'll have access to a board with enough freeboard to safely hunt these types of site, but it sounds like my little Jon boat could handle areas where a kayak or canoe can be used. Can anyone clarify this for me?

Do what I do when I don't go to the blind. Find a wma, set a few decoys, and sit in the marsh. I love doing that. I hunt idyllwilld when I don't go to the blind. It's not crazy packed with ducks but there surely isn't a shortage.

RLaw

Apr 6, 2013
    Hey marshmallow, I spent about three hours over at kings landing yesterday. I went along one of the creeks north of the big goose fields. I think I see what you mean...you could find a little spot along one of the bends and just shoot from the bank. Is that the type of setting you're describing? And no worries about blind sites, huh? Just walk in, set down and hunt?

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

The lottery I was involved in was about 10 years ago. It was for a blind off the West River and it was a fixed blind. The site could be renewed every year by the landowner if the landowner wished too, and the landowner usually did so for my buddy. Hence, there never was a problem. Then, the landowner forgot one year and it was a mess. My buddy got as many people as he possibly could to apply for the lottery in the hopes that he would be able to get the blind site permit and use his fixed blind there. Otherwise, somebody else would be able to hunt the spot and he wouldn't.

Here is some info about how you can get a blind site permit.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/licenses/riparian.asp

"If landowners do not license their shoreline by June 1st each year, any Maryland resident may potentially establish a blind site off their property if certain distance requirements are met. In all cases, hunting may not take place within 150 yards of an occupied dwelling without the permission of the dwelling’s occupants."

There is some good reading in there about the process. I might just have to start putting in for the lottery just for the heck of it or writing some riparian owners and asking how much they want to rent out their blind site. Then, reality sets in. Already turned down 3 invites this season to goose hunt because my calendar is packed. Responsibility can SUCK sometimes.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

Rlaw,

Forgot to add that when I hunted Elliott's Island with some friends, we put the boat in off a ramp and then used it to get to some really marshy area. We threw out the decoys, parked the boat away from them and camo'ed it, and then we waded over to where the decoys were and just stood in the tall grass. These guys knew what they were doing and I would be hesitant to do it myself right now. They were going through the marsh in the dark. Heck, one "morning" we decided to head out at 2:00 am so we could make sure we got the best spot and sleep in the marsh. I am too old for that BS now.

Marshmallow

Feb 4, 2012
    Hey marshmallow, I spent about three hours over at kings landing yesterday. I went along one of the creeks north of the big goose fields. I think I see what you mean...you could find a little spot along one of the bends and just shoot from the bank. Is that the type of setting you're describing? And no worries about blind sites, huh? Just walk in, set down and hunt?

Yup. As long as they don't post restrictions against it. I spoke with someone from dnr about hunting the impoundments and the marsh at deal island, and they said all wma marshes are open for hunting to anyone with or without a boat. If kings landing is a wma or similar, then you should be fine. Not a bad idea to check with someone though. It can't hurt. Our blind is on chaneyville, so I know Calvert waterfowl is fairly good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom