• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Parttime

Sep 29, 2012
    Eastern Shore
    In the 50's, 60's and 70' in water duck blinds, we used charcoal in a bucket.

Goose blinds and pits, no heat at all.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll

Yep, and then there was the 1,800's. lol

With today's technology, I take advantage of whatever I can afford to keep me warm. About to buy some battery powered socks and gloves that I can use for hunting, fishing, and cycling. Rechargeable lithium battery packs make things nice nowadays. That and chemical warmers almost make it so no heater is really ever needed anymore.

I am hunting because I enjoy it. However, I do not enjoy being miserably cold.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    No need to be cold if you can help it. That's dumb.

Fabros, I wouldn't bother with those socks if i were you. I've never had much success with them. You're better off sticking with the mini handwarmers shoved in your boots IMO. I'm thinking of picking up some boot blankets to try next year, though.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member

Fabros, I wouldn't bother with those socks if i were you. I've never had much success with them. You're better off sticking with the mini handwarmers shoved in your boots IMO. I'm thinking of picking up some boot blankets to try next year, though.
    Just remember to put them in your boots when you get to the blind, not before you hike in. Also, take them out when you hike out. (I lost two toe nails)

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Just remember to put them in your boots when you get to the blind, not before you hike in. Also, take them out when you hike out. (I lost two toe nails)

Yeah, I put the chemical toe warmers in my boots in November before setting the decoys and my feet were on fire.

A couple of years ago, I used the full foot chemical warmer for the first time. Used them while out hunting pheasants and doing a ton of walking. Thought my feet were going to burst into flames. As it was, one of the soles of the boots just fell right off.

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009

A lot of cyclists I know swear by the Hotronic foot warmers.

http://www.hotronic.com/products/index.html

Trust me, it is a lot worse to be out in the cold on a bicycle wearing lycra versus wearing 4 layers of stuff while hunting. Granted, I wear 3 layers on my chest while riding, but my problem is always my feet and my hands. The chemical warmers are alright in these circumstances, but not great. I still get cold. Hence, I don't go riding when it is below 40 degrees.

I'll give them a shot and donate them if they don't work.

Cabelas also has a system out now for socks, gloves, and vest that I might try for my gloves and vest, but that really hasn't been a problem in the goose blind. So far this year, chemical toe warmers have been plenty. However, I have yet to hunt in the teens this season and I have not been in a tree stand for quite some time where the wind really makes things cold.

Ra66it

Shenanigans!
    Dec 28, 2013
    The Dena

I started putting a little heater in our "outhouse" at our hunting lease. First I got a hard time from the others about wanting to be warm when in there. I recently found out everyone is now using it!

Maybe I should put the extinguisher out there too. I don't want to be caught with my pants down haha

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    I started putting a little heater in our "outhouse" at our hunting lease. First I got a hard time from the others about wanting to be warm when in there. I recently found out everyone is now using it!

Maybe I should put the extinguisher out there too. I don't want to be caught with my pants down haha

Funny how that works out now isn't it.

BDWMS

Feb 21, 2013
    Howard County
    A lot of cyclists I know swear by the Hotronic foot warmers.

http://www.hotronic.com/products/index.html

Let me know how those work out for ya. Thermacell has a similar foot warmer system that's gotten horrible reviews, but if cyclists are using these it may be worth a look. I will say that sitting stationary 20' up a tree is probably a little different than actively riding a bike, hiking, etc. It'd be nice if something like that worked for stand hunters.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Heaters are a godsend when you sit on top of a frozen lake & ice fish. They do make things very comfortable- I wouldnt be without one in that case.

What kind of heater started the fire? Id imagine the dried stalks, and blind material would go up in flames pretty fast!

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Let me know how those work out for ya. Thermacell has a similar foot warmer system that's gotten horrible reviews, but if cyclists are using these it may be worth a look. I will say that sitting stationary 20' up a tree is probably a little different than actively riding a bike, hiking, etc. It'd be nice if something like that worked for stand hunters.

If you think it is cold while sitting motionless in a tree, imagine pedaling at 20 to 25 mph into a 5 mph headwind creating a 30 mph wind factor. Man, my feet freeze a lot easier while riding than while hunting, but I am not using pac boots while riding. I'll try to remember this thread after I give them a try and let you know how they work.

fightinbluhen51

"Quack Pot Call Honker"
    Oct 31, 2008

Actually, that is not a bad idea.

Yeah, never had heat other than a dog and a hand warmer in a goose blind.

mark71211

Ultimate Member
    Sep 10, 2012
    Edgewater

I went on a guided duck hunt once and the guide said that back in the day that's how they would keep the pit warm till the day one a box of shells fell into it. He said that he has never seen a blind clear out so fast but for one older guy who just reached in to the bucket and pulled out the box before anything could happen.

MikeTF

Ultimate Member
    I went on a guided duck hunt once and the guide said that back in the day that's how they would keep the pit warm till the day one a box of shells fell into it. He said that he has never seen a blind clear out so fast but for one older guy who just reached in to the bucket and pulled out the box before anything could happen.
    :lol::lol2: Gotta love the older guys with experience!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom