• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cww

Jan 28, 2010
    They have been there all along. Friends see them in the Frederick Watershed on occasion when hunting or walking their dogs. Totally illegal to kill timber rattlers in MD. In PA you can get a rattlesnake hunting lic for cheap but can only harvest one yearly or at least you used to be able to.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    They have been there all along. Friends see them in the Frederick Watershed on occasion when hunting or walking their dogs. Totally illegal to kill timber rattlers in MD. In PA you can get a rattlesnake hunting lic for cheap but can only harvest one yearly or at least you used to be able to.

Colorado:

312 - Prairie Rattlesnake
    A. Season Dates and Units
    1. Statewide: June 15 - August 15 annually.
    B. Daily Bag and Possession Limits
    1. Daily Bag Limit - Three (3) snakes.
    2. Possession Limit - Six (6) snakes.
    C. Nothing in this section is intended to interfere with or prohibit the lawful protection of life or property as provided for in Section 33-6-107(9), C.R.S.

I like C. It basically says you can kill any rattlesnake that is threatening you at any time.

remodeler1

Jul 23, 2013
    Frederick

Apparently you can still get a permit to take 1 Timber Rattlesnake from certain parts of PA.

KevinK

Ultimate Member
    Jun 24, 2008
    Carroll County, Md
    Ill say it again. I HATE snakes. They scare the poop out of me. Without rationality....
    :D

th

TargetGrade

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Aug 13, 2017
    Pensultucky
    Colorado:

I like C. It basically says you can kill any rattlesnake that is threatening you at any time.

Yup, I have 3 dogs that are like kids to us. Copperheads and dogs cannot be cohabitants. We own a side of a small mountain here in Pa. Sorry, I value my foot, hand and dogs far more than a venomous snake.
    I knew a guy in Calvert, he was bit in the hand by a copperhead. He damn near lost that hand, messed him up for about 2 months.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    I remember years ago that a place called Reptile Gardens in South Dakota had a bounty out: $10 a foot for any live rattlesnake over 6 feet long. They used to shelter under the Launcher Closure doors; everyone always carried a stick and a sack on dispatch. They never paid the bounty while I was stationed there. The place is still around.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    Copperheads are nastily bastards, they don't care once you get near their space. Timber Rattlers have a more of a live and let live, type of animal. A, "don't mess with me, I won't mess with you", attitude. That's, pretty much how I tried have to live my life.

Last edited:

bigdv

Ultimate Member
    May 17, 2010
    Calvert Co.
    Ditto!

I came face to face with a timber rattler while I attended Frostburg in the early 90s. Still gives me chills. If I lived in some of the places y'all are talking about, I would be terrified of stepping outside.

GO BOBCATS!

cww

Jan 28, 2010
    Those of you who don't like them will love this then. I cut my teeth hunting in PA with friends. My first and only harvest on my permit happened by chance instead of a deliberate snake hunt. I was sitting cross legged in a cut field with the 22 mag and bi-pod at the ready watching an active groundhog hole. Day dreaming a bit, as it can take a startled hog 20-30 min to reemerge, something made me look over my right shoulder, sixth sense or maybe a slight noise- who knows, but to my surprise there was a nice 4 foot timber rattler coming right at me and his head was LESS THAN 2 FEET my a$$. Maybe I looked like a nice rock to get some shade under. But instinctively I jumped up and at the same time swung the 22 and fired. Caught it right behind the head.

Having a taxidermy habit I snagged it and started carrying it to the barn, at arms length! Half way thru the field that sucker regained consciousness and wasn't happy. Finished it off neatly and called PGC just to make sure I understood how to fill the paperwork out correctly and the lady was like "wow you got lucky there", congrats. Now being a MD res I also checked in with our DNR to make sure I didn't need anything other than my PA permit to take it to a taxi. That woman reamed me out and told me to go throw it in the woods. NOT. Only ran into one other one there before I started hunting in MD, stepped over a log and boom 12" away was a young 18" one.

tatoocrab

Sep 20, 2010
    tracy's landing / beltsville
    Moved to Calvert Co last year all my neighbors have copperhead storys.
    Found one 3 feet form outside steps 2 months ago. On July 2 our dog was bite on face.
    Went to emergency vet she fine now but there was another dog bit in the leg also.
    Vet said she sees 25 to 30 dog bite by copperheads every year.
    Then found out their against the law to kill!

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom