• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    Well, after 43 days I have my FN Hi Power back from Novak's. I originally picked this one up 3 years ago as a C&R. It was a lightly used German police turn-in. I'm fond of the Hi Power, finding it to be the only double stack gun I have shot that fits my short fingers. Stupidly, though, I left it in a foam lined case too long and it picked up a few spots of rust on the slide. AS I was going to have it refinished anyway, I no longer felt constrained to keep it in "original" condition and decided to do something about the one thing I really didn't like about it -- the sights. So off to Novak's it went. I like the results.
    Before:
    IMG_0191a1.jpg

and After:

384A8258.jpg

384A8259.jpg

I'm still not totally happy with the grips I have on it at the moment and am looking for something thinner.

Jul 1, 2012
    An excellent job prepping the surface without wiping out the markings or blurring the edges - chemically stripped?
    End result looks super!

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    1. Novak 3-dot night sights installed.
    2. Trigger Job.
    3. What they call their reliability package. Included feed ramp.
    4. Barrel crowned
    5. Gun bead-blasted and reblued with a matt black finish applied.
    6. Test fired and zeroed.

Mtwoodson

May 7, 2011
    Western Eastern Shore
    I really like your good taste and your High Power. Here's a similar BHP. Pretty much the same work by Novak without the refinish. It's a working gun and could be considered either a "sleeper" or the pistol version of a "Rat Rod".

Attachments

• BHP b.jpg
      BHP b.jpg
      84.8 KB · Views: 411
    Last edited:

python

Apr 15, 2010
    I'm not fan of modifying classic guns, but that is a nice job on your HP. It's a shame that it had to be a "thumbprint" model.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    No mods is ALWAYS the way to go with anything surplus. I'm sorry , but you took an eventually quite valuable pistol and destroyed it.

JHE1956

Apr 16, 2013
    Annapolis
    No mods is ALWAYS the way to go with anything surplus. I'm sorry , but you took an eventually quite valuable pistol and destroyed it.

I would usually agree with you. I decided to go this way because:

1. I felt I needed to refinish it because of the rust spots on the slide (my own negligence).
    2. It was a police turn in made about 1960, which doesn't give it the history of a wartime military- issue pistol. Not much different in that sense from a German Police issue P225 or P1 in that sense.
    3. I have 4 other Hi-Powers, all WWII military, and untouched.
    4. I used this one as my shooter -- and yes I could have just bought a new Hi Power, provided I could find one.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    I would usually agree with you. I decided to go this way because:

1. I felt I needed to refinish it because of the rust spots on the slide (my own negligence).
    2. It was a police turn in made about 1960, which doesn't give it the history of a wartime military- issue pistol. Not much different in that sense from a German Police issue P225 or P1 in that sense.
    3. I have 4 other Hi-Powers, all WWII military, and untouched.
    4. I used this one as my shooter -- and yes I could have just bought a new Hi Power, provided I could find one.

Your gun, your call, of course, but I'd probably have bought it as-was with the flaws, if it had been made available; I've always wanted one of the thumbprint Hi-Powers, and if it was a little buggered up, all the better, so it wouldn't become another pretty safe queen.

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I think it looks great!! I am sure it will shoot good too.very nice work you have made good decisions with this pistol !!
    Let us know how it does.

BigDaddy

Ultimate Member
    Feb 7, 2014
    I think it looks great!! .
    I vote with the OP. It looks good and has decent sights. A rusty version of a classic gun is never going to bring top dollar.
    It's amazing to me that John Brownings' designs are still made yet it never occurred to him (or any if his contemporaries) to create decent sights.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Nice pistol and sights. Long thread on another site several years back on exactly the same lines. The pistol wasn't as original but was a decent speciman. Its as you want it and knowlege of its vintage makes worthwhile.

I like the working HP, too. Nice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom