• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I saw this in a Gun Mag and liked the idea, but disliked the $150 price tag. It's an expensive gun lock.

My first thought too.

Looks a little complicated to get off the gun.

Did you see they have a training feature where you can ask it to tell you when to get it. Then it times you from notification, to pickup to time unlocking. That's neat.

There's a thread around here suggesting that kind of drill.

Lloyd

Ultimate Member
    Mar 20, 2012
    FEMA Camp
    I saw this in a Gun Mag and liked the idea, but disliked the $150 price tag. It's an expensive gun lock.

Agreed

I really like the idea, but the price is a little high. But in the end I will likely get one for the HD gun as this quicker than the safe, and costs less than what I spent on ammo and mags this last month - to put the price into perspective. So in the end the peace of mind is worth the price, and it supports the market which will eventually bring the cost down for everyone else.

Thanks for sharing

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    Actually looks good for those with small kids that need such a thing. Different than the speedlock, and actually ingenious the way the combo is programmed, and that the combo can be simple or complex. Turn the dial a number of clicks in any direction, then change direction to enter the next number in the series, so if the combo is 3-2-1, turn 3 clicks right(could also start left), 2 clicks left, 1 click right, it releases, rack the slide to clear the device and chamber a round. works like an omega lock to lock the chamber. I could do without the Bluetooth integration, unlocking from a phone, or notifications from it. Might be a good alternative to a hand safe, or even that lock design on a hand safe.

axshon

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Howard County
    My only question is what happens when the battery dies? This is the same problem with my personal safe with the finger-tip buttons. I like that with my current safe I just need to position my hand correctly so that's what I practice. I spent around $120 for my HD safe so $150 is not out of the question.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    My only question is what happens when the battery dies? This is the same problem with my personal safe with the finger-tip buttons. I like that with my current safe I just need to position my hand correctly so that's what I practice. I spent around $120 for my HD safe so $150 is not out of the question.

Excellent question. Critical question in fact.

I didn't read up on it yet, I just assumed the lock was mechanical because of the twisting; but you are right, if it is solely electronic, it's a no-go in my book.

Still looks like the $10 Master Speedlock is the best option in this level of security. Much faster/better than the locks that come with the gun, or Maryland requires you to buy.

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Interesting concept.

Looks like battery's needed only in locking mode. Monitor mode alerts you know when your weapon is handled but allows you to charge the weapon by racking the slide.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I saw this years ago. Still do not like it
    No you didn't. Maybe something similar, but not Zore-X

From the FAQ:

What if the battery runs out? Will my gun disable with no way of opening it?
    1. ZORE X uses a CR2 Battery that will last for more than a year.
    2. Three months before your battery drains, ZØRE X will send you notifications, reminding you to change your battery.
    3. One month before the battery drains, when unlocking ZØRE X, it will not allow you to re-lock without changing the battery.
    4. In addition, you are able to set your ZØRE X to open automatically before draining out.
    5. If your battery drains out nonetheless, you are able to connect an external battery to give it power, enabling you to dial your code and open it.

These guys have thought of most of my initial concerns over a "smart" lock. I think it makes a lot of sense for folks who have kids.

-Jim

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    No you didn't. Maybe something similar, but not Zore-X

From the FAQ:

What if the battery runs out? Will my gun disable with no way of opening it?
    1. ZORE X uses a CR2 Battery that will last for more than a year.
    2. Three months before your battery drains, ZØRE X will send you notifications, reminding you to change your battery.
    3. One month before the battery drains, when unlocking ZØRE X, it will not allow you to re-lock without changing the battery.
    4. In addition, you are able to set your ZØRE X to open automatically before draining out.
    5. If your battery drains out nonetheless, you are able to connect an external battery to give it power, enabling you to dial your code and open it.

These guys have thought of most of my initial concerns over a "smart" lock. I think it makes a lot of sense for folks who have kids.

-Jim

Excellent, thanks for that.

This lock is a really neat thing, and maybe if they ever make a purely mechanical version, I'd be interested.

I have no faith in electronic locks.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    My biggest concern is the Bluetooth link, which uses the most insecure comm protocol on the planet.

Not to continually defend these guys, but I read this kind of thing a lot and it is (mostly) said by folks who don't have any idea what the authentication process is for either Bluetooth or whatever these guys are doing at layer 3+. I don't know what they are doing for authentication above layer 3, do you?

Secondly: So freakin what? Is your kid going to hack Bluetooth to get your gun? If not your kid, then who? What is the real threat?

-Jim

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alan3413

Ultimate Member
    Mar 4, 2013
    Bluetooth is for monitoring only, it does not allow you to unlock the gun.

Having said that, I don't want my gun advertising it's existence in any way.

BeoBill

Crank in the Third Row
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 3, 2013
    南馬里蘭州鮑伊
    Not to continually defend these guys, but I read this kind of thing a lot and it is (mostly) said by folks who don't have any idea what the authentication process is for either Bluetooth or whatever these guys are doing at layer 3+. I don't know what they are doing for authentication above layer 3, do you?

Secondly: So freakin what? Is your kid going to hack Bluetooth to get your gun? If not your kid, then who? What is the real threat?

-Jim

No, and who cares what they do if L3 is wide open.

To answer your second question, some here don't live on Unicorn Mountain and have to deal with adult problem sets.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    No, and who cares what they do if L3 is wide open.

To answer your second question, some here don't live on Unicorn Mountain and have to deal with adult problem sets.

I care what they do above layer 3 and you should too. Security must almost universally assume that your phy* is compromised.

I'll ask again, what is the threat? Clearly these devices aren't designed to combat theft and shouldn't be considered in that context. So read the description of what it does and show me the threat.

-Jim

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom