• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Anyone have any experience with the Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm scope? It's parallax setting is 60 yards or greater; a bit limiting but I like that it's a light weight at 8 ounces and under 10" long and capable scope (better than 3 to 1 zoom range). I have a fixed 4 power scope at 11 ounces and 11" long that works, but it is rather big and heavy for what you get. Also - there is a $50 rebate going on with the VX-1 scopes (ends Oct 2).

Mt Airy

Ultimate Member
    Nov 28, 2010
    Frederick county
    I have one .It is a real nice scope . I thought it was a very X II ? they make a rim fire scope and a 2x7 shot gun /muzzle loader scope . I do have both kinds both are real nice.

robmints

Ultimate Member
    Jan 20, 2011
    Anyone have any experience with the Leupold VX-1 2-7x28mm scope? It's parallax setting is 60 yards or greater; a bit limiting but I like that it's a light weight at 8 ounces and under 10" long and capable scope (better than 3 to 1 zoom range). I have a fixed 4 power scope at 11 ounces and 11" long that works, but it is rather big and heavy for what you get. Also - there is a $50 rebate going on with the VX-1 scopes (ends Oct 2).

There are a bunch of 2-7x28 leupolds. Some recently discontinued, some new products. Reticle and parallax setting are two factors that may or may not have changed. It would be nice to know the exact model number you are considering. Leupold usually sold rimfire set at 50 yards, shotgun at 60, and muzzleloader at 75, but they have mixed those numbers up over the years.

All things being equal except: The larger the objective lens, the greater the parallax error. So the error on the small 28mm objective lens scope is going to be minimal until you get a considerable distance from the fixed setting. If you got a rimfire 28 mm scope and it was set at 50 yards and your shooting was between 25 and 100 yards, I think you would be more than pleased with the result.

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    If you don't mind an extra 1.4oz, go for the regular VX-1 2-7x33. It's brighter and has a bigger eyebox.

If you prefer a different reticle, you can order either scope directly through the custom shop for street price with free shipping. Lots of reticle options for modest upgrade cost.
    https://customshop.leupold.com/configure/vx-1-rimfire-2-7x28mm/?s=97&r=14&aw=5&ae=5
    https://customshop.leupold.com/configure/vx-1-2-7x33mm/?s=689&r=2&aw=5&ae=5

I've got a VX-2 2-7x33 that I ordered through the custom shop with the German #4. Very pleased with it.

SuperMag

Citizen--not "Subject"
    Nov 30, 2011
    Maryland
    Another one to look at is the Nikon Prostaff zoom 9x40 rimfire scope. It's got great light transmission, waterproof/fogproof, zero-resettable turrets, and holds zero like solid steel. Dicks has these on sale for around $140. I've been using these for years and they are a killer rimfire scope. The Nikon Website has a ballistics calculator that includes a boatload of different ammo makers/types, and you can use it to dial in your accuracy (based on your ammo of choice) in no time at all.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    All things being equal except: The larger the objective lens, the greater the parallax error. So the error on the small 28mm objective lens scope is going to be minimal until you get a considerable distance from the fixed setting. If you got a rimfire 28 mm scope and it was set at 50 yards and your shooting was between 25 and 100 yards, I think you would be more than pleased with the result.

That's good to know - thanks.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    If you don't mind an extra 1.4oz, go for the regular VX-1 2-7x33. It's brighter and has a bigger eyebox.

If you prefer a different reticle, you can order either scope directly through the custom shop for street price with free shipping. Lots of reticle options for modest upgrade cost.
    https://customshop.leupold.com/configure/vx-1-rimfire-2-7x28mm/?s=97&r=14&aw=5&ae=5
    https://customshop.leupold.com/configure/vx-1-2-7x33mm/?s=689&r=2&aw=5&ae=5

I've got a VX-2 2-7x33 that I ordered through the custom shop with the German #4. Very pleased with it.

If the $50 rebate applies to these - then this a better deal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom