• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amg5161

Apr 19, 2016
    Any owners out there with some feedback? Thinking about picking one up in 308. Thanks

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    I have a T3 Lite and am picking up a CTR very soon. We have a bunch at work to sign out and I love them. You won't find anything smoother or more accurate for the price. With a can on them, they are STILL pretty darn short. A great buy especially for the price.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    I have one in 260..... this was almost my best 5 shot 200 yrd group I shot sat.......they suck....its way too much value in a factory rifle...... Did I mention the bolt is really really smooooth????

Attachments

• image.jpg
      image.jpg
      49.7 KB · Views: 345

Trumpet

SCSC/NRA life member. MSI member
    Oct 29, 2005
    I'm waiting for the T3X CTR in 6.5 Creedmoor to get back in stock.

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Have the ctr in 308. Love it, action like butter, great factory trigger, way too much value for the money, ohh did I mention the barrel is threaded too.

amg5161

Apr 19, 2016
    Thanks for the information you've helped me decide to get one. Now to figure out what scope to put on it.

Indiana Jones

Wolverine
    Mar 18, 2011
    CCN
    Thanks for the information you've helped me decide to get one. Now to figure out what scope to put on it.

What kind of shooting? My Tikka has a Burris Veracity 4-20x50 on it. True zero stop turrets, FFP varmint reticle. It will be helping me vaporize prairie dogs this weekend. My CTR will get an XTR II, or an old Nikon I have until then.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Do any of our IP's or LGS's carry the Tikka CTR, or do they need to special order them? I have heard and read lots of good things about the CTR but am keen to fondle one before taking the plunge.

Cal68

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Can someone explain what justifies the almost $500. difference between the CTR and a standard T3? All I'm seeing is a metal bolt shroud, 10 rd DBM, steel lug, and threaded muzzle. What else is different? :shrug:

JB62

Ultimate Member
    Mar 5, 2013
    Annapolis
    Can someone explain what justifies the almost $500. difference between the CTR and a standard T3? All I'm seeing is a metal bolt shroud, 10 rd DBM, steel lug, and threaded muzzle. What else is different? :shrug:

Integrated rail for mounting ootics, and also heavier barrel profile I believe. Have one and it shoots lights out. Mags are extremely pricey but feel rock solid.

67temp

Jun 25, 2009
    Gettysburg, PA
    Glad you like it, anything else to add?:evilwhip:

What makes it worth $1,000. +, compared to a hunting grade T3 at around $600?

The cheapest I could find my t3 lite was a little over $700 not $600.

The ctr has the integrated rail, comb riser on the stock, threaded, heavy barrel, 10 rd mag. The heavier barrel alone would be worth it. The hunting guns on the range heat up pretty quickly, but make for easy carrying in the field. The forest, hunter and lite all have the same barrel profiles

AssMan

Meh...
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 27, 2011
    Somewhere on the James River, VA
    Glad you like it, anything else to add?:evilwhip:

What makes it worth $1,000. +, compared to a hunting grade T3 at around $600?

Your pricing is off for starters. But the features you mentioned, and specifically the threaded heavier profile barrel are worth $250 to me. I won't ever shoot mine unsuppressed so a hunting model was a nonstarter for me.

Pale Ryder

Ultimate Member
    Jan 12, 2009
    Millersville
    Here is where I got my prices, maybe they're off maybe not. Glad your happy with your choice.

Attachments

• Screenshot (10).jpg
      Screenshot (10).jpg
      82.8 KB · Views: 144

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    The 308 above is also listed as a 3+1 so it does not have a detachable mag. The downside to these rifles is the expensive mags but they're dual pattern and will accept AICS mags...... my 260 came with 1 mag, same as SAKO TRG...... :-( Good mags just really expensive, even compared to AICS brand.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    The 308 above is also listed as a 3+1 so it does not have a detachable mag. The downside to these rifles is the expensive mags but they're dual pattern and will accept AICS mags...... my 260 came with 1 mag, same as SAKO TRG...... :-( Good mags just really expensive, even compared to AICS brand.

I can attest to BroncoLou gun shooting very well, I was next to him in Ed's class and he range that gong at distance very often. I would buy one in a heart beat.

atblis

Ultimate Member
    May 23, 2010
    Pretty sure the Lite does have a detachable mag. Not sure there are any Tikka that don't have detachable mags. Blued 308 is $478 shipped on Buds right now. Blued CTR is $898 shipped. If the CTR has a more solid stock, I could see it being worth it.

The old tactical models always seemed overpriced to me mostly due to having the same cheesy plastic stocks as the regular guns albeit shaped a bit differently. The varmint model was a better value IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom