• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • RC123

Jan 31, 2020
    I am from Texas but I have been living in MD for 5 years now. I was wanting to attend the Howard County gun show tomorrow and possibly sale my Springfield XD .45 ACP.
    My question is what do i need to know:
    Can I just walk into the show with the gun in factory case (unloaded obviously)?
    Being from TX the Magazines are 13 Round. Is that going to be an issue?
    What else do I need to know? In TX it was pretty simple you would just take a gun you wanted to sell and if someone wanted it they would give you the cash and you would simply hand them the gun and both parties would simply walk away happy. I have not been to a gun show since I have lived in MD so I don't know how things work here...

Dave91

Ultimate Member
    Nov 25, 2009
    Anne Arundel
    The handgun sale will have to go through a FFL or Maryland State Police. The buyer will also need to have a Handgun Qualification License. No magazine over 10 rounds can be sold or transferred in MD. So, not that easy...

Bertfish

Throw bread on me
    Mar 13, 2013
    White Marsh, MD
    Yes you can take it in the show unloaded. Are you a legal resident of Maryland or Texas?

You cannot offer those magazines for sale anywhere in the state. Leave them at home I'd say.

Since it's a handgun it must be transferred through a shop or a MSP barracks. You can't sell it "cash and carry" at a show or anywhere else.

ted76

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 20, 2013
    Frederick
    You could carry it into the show and sell it to a FFL licensed dealer, at a reduced price. All firearms need to be checked at the door to make sure that they are unloaded.
    You could also sell it to an individual, without the magazine, but the sale would have to go through a Licensed FFL or do it at a Maryland State Police barracks, both of which require the buy to have a HQL and will involve a background check and 7 day wait for the buyer. Magazines over 10 round capacity can only be transferred to a FFL or LEO in Maryland, since Oct.1, 2013.

You should have gone to the Introduction tread and introduced yourself, before posting this type of question.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    Carry it into the show with your loaded magazines in the gun (holstered, of course), for sure, and try to sell it privately to the guy who looks like a TX biker, but is really an ATF agent.

seriously, this is your first post????

daggo66

Ultimate Member
    Mar 31, 2013
    Glen Burnie
    You mean that you are going to possibly “sell” it. Sale is not a verb. How do people screw this up? It doesn’t even sound close to being right.

Glaron

Camp pureblood 13R
    BANNED!!!
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 20, 2013
    Virginia
    Walking around in MD with a weapon? Trace the network IP. Contact the feds, the internet provider and goto town!

5 years? really? Which rock do you live under?:rolleyes::innocent0

RC123

Jan 31, 2020
    Well I am glad to see the grammar police are here. It was a serious question. Next time I will submit my post to one of the professors on this site prior to posting it. I can see that is very important for some of you.
    I brought all of my guns over with me when I moved here. Therefore I have never purchased any here. Yes, I am a registered MD resident.
    I enjoy shooting high powered pcp airguns more than anything and just shoot the powder burners on occasion. But yeah, looks like a huge pain in the ass to sell it...

Last edited:

Fredcohunter

Nov 30, 2008
    A little west of Frederick
    Well I am glad to see the grammar police are here. It was a serious question. Next time I will submit my post to one of the professors on this site prior to posting it. I can see that is very important for some of you.
    I brought all of my guns over with me when I moved here. Therefore I have never purchased any here. Yes, I am a registered MD resident.
    I enjoy shooting high powered pcp airguns more than anything and just shoot the powder burners on occasion. But yeah, looks like a huge pain in the ass to sell it...

Did you register all your regulated firearms (ie handgun) with the state of MD when you moved here?

sgt23preston

USMC LLA. NRA Life Member
    May 19, 2011
    Perry Hall

There is a simpler option. Take it to a LOCAL FFL dealer (that you trust) and put it on consignment. You & he agree on a price, he sells it you get 80% of the sale price WHEN IT SELLS. I have sold many guns this way...

RC123

Jan 31, 2020
    Thank you all for your help. I went to the show today. It was significantly smaller than what I am used to in TX. Prices were higher than online but I expected that. Still nice to be able to look at guns in person though. There was an immaculate Winchester 9422 (seller was asking $1k) that I really liked but it was in .22 mag so I passed.
    Anyway I did not bring the XD with me but took pics. A guy was interested in it and is supposed to get back with me this week. He has an FFL to conduct the transaction with.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom