• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    As far as galatiinternational, I've thrown that out there previously in this thread.

The Olympia uppers are good, haven't had any problems other than the light primer strikes, which can be solved with the MGI bolt/firing pin per chad's advice.

The ER Shaw barrels have had mixed reviews on the interwebs, thus leaving me on the fence. Midwayusa.com has complete uppers with dealer pricing which comes pretty close.

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Southern Maryland - Chuck Co.
    If you are building a 7.62x39 upper you want to build a good bolt. The Model I bolts give light strikes. You want a M16 Carrier and an MGI Enhanced 7.62x39 Bolt. Add a O Ring to the extrator and youll be golden with some C CProducts Hi Caps.

C,

Are you saying to replace the small spring on the extractor with an o ring or add it? Seems it would be too hard to install the pin if I added it.:o

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    C,

Are you saying to replace the small spring on the extractor with an o ring or add it? Seems it would be too hard to install the pin if I added it.:o

Some kits just have a o-ring (I dont like them). Other kits come kits come with an o-ring, spring insert, and a stronger spring. The full kits with the spring, insert, and o-ring are tougher to put in but it can be done at home without any tools. Buffer Technologies makes a kit that brownells carries for about $10.00

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    Some kits just have a o-ring (I dont like them). Other kits come kits come with an o-ring, spring insert, and a stronger spring. The full kits with the spring, insert, and o-ring are tougher to put in but it can be done at home without any tools. Buffer Technologies makes a kit that brownells carries for about $10.00

Thanks! I started doing a little research and now understand. Def. gonna get the kit. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    Thinking about a 7.62x39 upper to go along with my Spikes lower from the group buy.

Looks like $240 for the complete lower, plus $550 for the upper from Midway. Lookin at close to $800 for a complete rifle.

Then, what, another 125 for the MGI kit to actually make it work correctly ? So $925 to shoot cheap surplus ammo?

I'm interested in the 7.62x39 because I'd like to take my AR based rifle out deer hunting and .223 just seems a bit small for humane kills.

I suppose I could go with a .308, or just a 7.62x51, but I'd like to keep my order for the Spikes Lower

gunrunner

New MK12 Mod 0 Fan
    Dec 20, 2008
    Clear Spring, MD.
    Thinking about a 7.62x39 upper to go along with my Spikes lower from the group buy.

Looks like $240 for the complete lower, plus $550 for the upper from Midway. Lookin at close to $800 for a complete rifle.

Then, what, another 125 for the MGI kit to actually make it work correctly ? So $925 to shoot cheap surplus ammo?

I'm interested in the 7.62x39 because I'd like to take my AR based rifle out deer hunting and .223 just seems a bit small for humane kills.

I suppose I could go with a .308, or just a 7.62x51, but I'd like to keep my order for the Spikes Lower

I don't know man. I've killed alot of deer with a .223. Its all about good shoot placement.:D

If you want to go deer hunting or similar light skinned game. Build a 6.8spc. Its definitely optimum for that purpose. They are making alot of hunting cartridges in that caliber now as well.

Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    I've only run the cheapo wolf steel cased, so far.

I get a hang up every now and again; when carbon builds up, and when I forget to clean it from a previous range trip. :innocent0

I'm going to have to open a box of American eagle and see how it runs with brass ammo.

kronusthebonus

Jackwagon
    Jul 26, 2010
    Hampstead
    I don't know man. I've killed alot of deer with a .223. Its all about good shoot placement.:D

If you want to go deer hunting or similar light skinned game. Build a 6.8spc. Its definitely optimum for that purpose. They are making alot of hunting cartridges in that caliber now as well.

6.8 SPC is a lot more expensive than 7.62x39 or even .223.

If I do go with a .223, I would probably go with a 1:7 twist so I could go with a heavier bullet to try to get as much penetration as possible.

cyrano_oneone

Dec 15, 2011
    Columbia, MD
    This is an old thread, but i wanted to post my experience with a Bushmaster 7.62x39 upper.

step 1) out of the box...It fired very nicely with my non-Russian ammo no problems. With Russian ammo it was a disaster....30% would go bang. The remaining 70% fired after try to fire the a second time.

step 2) Got a MGI’s Enhanced Reliability 7.62×39 Firing Pin & Bolt for AR-15 Rifle. The result was better maybe 40% would go Bang the first time. I was very discouraged at this point

step 3) Added a wolff hammer spring which is 15% more powerful than the normal ar15 hammer spring. I now have 100% reliability with Russian ammo.

I wonder if I should have just bought the wolff hammer spring to start out with. When I get the time I will swap out the MGI bolt and let everyone know.

later

eddiek2000

Sweet Lemonade!!
    Feb 11, 2008
    This is an old thread, but i wanted to post my experience with a Bushmaster 7.62x39 upper.

step 1) out of the box...It fired very nicely with my non-Russian ammo no problems. With Russian ammo it was a disaster....30% would go bang. The remaining 70% fired after try to fire the a second time.

step 2) Got a MGI’s Enhanced Reliability 7.62×39 Firing Pin & Bolt for AR-15 Rifle. The result was better maybe 40% would go Bang the first time. I was very discouraged at this point

step 3) Added a wolff hammer spring which is 15% more powerful than the normal ar15 hammer spring. I now have 100% reliability with Russian ammo.

I wonder if I should have just bought the wolff hammer spring to start out with. When I get the time I will swap out the MGI bolt and let everyone know.

later

Looking forward to the results. I bought an upper minus the bcg & charging handle, so I just went ahead and bought the MGI pin and bolt and a BCM carrier.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    I'm going to try the wolff hammer spring first, I bought the Bushmaster upper, I'm just waiting for the paperwork to come back on my lowers, hopefully I'll get the call today.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    I have the Kies upper with a spikes battle trigger and below are my thoughts:

1. Extremely, deadly accurate on surplus
    2. Works flawless with the 5rd mag and Barnaul, Tula was giving me some problems but the primers look awful recessed.
    3 Ejection a little weak so I increased the gas (adjustable block) see if it does better next time this will likely take some tuning.
    4. Tula and a few golden tiger would light after primer strike. This may have been the recessed primers a new bolt, or a weaker hammer spring. If it persists I am going to install the 5.45 heavy spring that came with my 5.45 upper since it will also be used on this specifc gun. That should rectify the issue for both 7.62 and 5.45.

Its a fun caliber in an AR. Ballistically 300 blackout is better and more reliable but 7.62*39 is cheap and cross trains with the AK.

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Still struggling a bit with mags ordered some sac mags and they are exactly like the AR stoners in every detail.

Compared to some cproducts 5.45 mags and they are close in build quality and style.

dad4

Ultimate Member
    Jan 11, 2013
    Cecil County
    Yes, HBar for now is only 5.56/.223.

Why 7.62x39? Not as cheap an if you run corrosive cleaning is a b**ch.

Thanks for confirming my thoughts on HBAR only for 5.56/223. I want to keep my ammo needs simple. I have 2 SKS rifles already and the Russian 7.62 is cheap. I don't reload so steel case is OK with me. Buying a Windham.

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Yes, HBar for now is only 5.56/.223.

Why 7.62x39? Not as cheap an if you run corrosive cleaning is a b**ch.

Where do you even find corrosive 7.62x39 ammo ? :lol2:
    I guess if you buy ammo off WTS forums from people who bought ammo in the 1980's and are trying to sell it now like that Egyptian crap or that brass case Yugoslav ammo then yeah but why would you do that ?
    Just buy modern Russian animal brand ammo and be done it's cheap as hell.
    I have shot thousands of rounds through my x39 AR15 builds no problem.
    The AR15 magazine problems were solved when they switched to stainless steel from aluminum

Straightbolt

unindicted co-conspirator
    Apr 4, 2015
    The 'Burbs
    Can I buy an AR 15 in 7.62x39, in MD, that is not HBAR? And be legal.

On a 16" barrel that will save you a 1/2# of weight, that's 8oz's of weight.
    I suppose depending on all the accessories you plan to add that 8oz's might add up.
    Honestly in my experience I will take the heavy barrel....I have found thin profile barrels tend to start to string shots when they get real hot like on a 90 degree day and rapid fire...but I suppose if you're shooting that much what difference does it make if the size of your groups opens up a few inches :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom