• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pp55ftw

Jan 8, 2019
    Hey shooters,

Have a really old/drawn out question for the community but just want to hear opinions from this forum.

Basically in the market for another 9mm semi-auto pistol. Main purpose is HD and range fun, 9mm because of ammo commonality with my other weapons (I stock 5.56 and 9mm only). I already have a Glock 19 which is a duty/main pistol so no need to suggest Glock.

Looking at the following options:

CZ P-10c
    SW M&P2.0c
    FN 509
    or any other suggestions.

Main concerns are reliability, shootability, and just plain fun. Maybe I'm just looking for an excuse to get another gun tbh...so, let's open the flood gates for some healthy debate!

Thanks!

RuralRifleGuy

Aug 16, 2018
    Queenstown
    I can't comment on the M&P 2.0 Compact directly, but my full-size 2.0 runs flawlessly with every brand of ammo I throw at it and it has a good grip texture. Take a look at the Sig P320's, they have a variety of 9mm options and like Glock magazines are interchangeable. I have an X-Carry which is a nice compromise in size similar to a Glock 19X, the full-sizes are nice, though I don't own 9mm versions of them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    I'd go so far as to say , if you already have a G19 , no need to suggest another striker fired polymer pistol . If you have emphasis on fun , while still HD capable , go for somthing different , ie a DA/ SA or SA , in a metal frame .

Amongst current production guns , CZ-75/85 family , EAA Witness line duplicates the actual CZ offerings , plus even more additional varients , at reasonable prices . A P series SIG if you are wiling for the $$ . The Beretta Cougar never cought on in the US market , but it is a very interesting and innovative design , and Stoeger's Couger is the exact same pistol made under license in Turkey , at reasonable prices . I am too old school to be accepting of 9mm 1911 , but they are certainly popular now , and widely available from multiple mfg at every point between Budget and if you have to ask .... But if * I * wanted a cocked & locked traditional 9mm , the FM Hi Power is licensed 100% interchangeable w/ Browning , at reasonable prices .

Of course, my wildcard pick is dual cylinder Ruger Blackhawk in .357/ 9mm .

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    If you like 1911's a 9mm might be a good choice. I have an RIA in 9mm and it's been a great shooter. Cheaper to shoot than my 45 and less felt recoil. Would love to have the Springfield 1911 in 9 but almost double the price of the Rock.

Cal68

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 4, 2014
    Montgomery County
    Go to a range that rents guns and try out a bunch of them.

I agree with the above. I've often heard certain guns being highly touted on this and other forums but when I have rented them at a range, I've found that they were simply not for me. I'm sure they are great guns for some people, but they did not work for me.

I know that both of the ranges in Frederick have a variety of guns to rent. You can call ahead of time and see if they have the ones you are looking at.

Cal68

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    No need to try something all that different unless you really want something a G19 can't do or doesn't do as well. Unless you go for something completely different in alloy/steel like a CZ75 or Sig PXXX would probably just get another Glock, maybe a G34, add a RDS on a MOS model for a lot of fun, or a G43 for something fun and small.

Czechnologist

Concerned Citizen
    Mar 9, 2016
    Another vote for either a CZ-75B or SP-01 since you had 'range fun' as one of your criteria. Your best bet, though, is to go rent several and take note of which ones you like the most. I think it's hard to beat a CZ for the performance you get for the price.

Mightydog

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    My next one is a Magnum Research Desert Eagle 1911U. You can also try a Colt Combat Commander. Can’t go wrong with a Colt. Both available from one of our IPs - JLowe’s. Good pricing.

Attachments

• B8788996-85F2-49CD-911C-5F562B12519C.jpg
      B8788996-85F2-49CD-911C-5F562B12519C.jpg
      59.9 KB · Views: 333
    • A34992A8-180D-4C2F-9DE5-43731423ACF4.jpg
      A34992A8-180D-4C2F-9DE5-43731423ACF4.jpg
      48.7 KB · Views: 336

Huckleberry

No One of Consequence
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 19, 2007
    Severn & Lewes
    Here's a voice for old school kool.

Consider a Browning HP.

All modern pistols mentioned like the CZ75 draw their lineage from the BHP.

The BHP was John Moses Browning was 2nd greatest pistol design after the 1911. It could have been his first if he only lived longer so he could have designed it for the 45 ACP

SkiPatrolDude

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 24, 2017
    Timonium-Lutherville
    my HK VP9 is by far my most accurate pistol. Not speaking to mechanical accuracy as I know all of mine are better than me, but speaking to my ability to put rounds on target. I can pretty easily hit a 3 inch clay pigeon laid upright on my buddies farm at 80 yards.

It has a very "two-stagey" feeling trigger which allows me to take very calculated shots. HK also sights them in at the factory, and mine has been dead on. Despite not having true night sights, the sight picture is among the best that I have. Also, ergonomically it just feels great in the hand.

EODJoe

Sic Semper Tyrannis
    Jan 15, 2013
    Carroll County
    I have a late '60s Belgian manufactured FN/Browning Hi-Power and it is one of my absolute favorite pistols. I also have a couple of Sig 9mm that I think are fantastic. One is the M11A1 which is the closest I could find to the P228 since they aren't making new 228s anymore. I trained for protective service work in the Army with a 228 (M11) and it is a great shooter. I also bought a P320 after getting to try out the XM17 and XM18 a few years ago. All are great guns.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom